+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying car from Canada vs buying a car from the USA ????

smartstyle

Mar 15, 2010
Hi guys,

After landing in Canada, one must buy or temporaly rent a car to be able to move easily and faster.
If I want to buy a car where is the best most cost effective place to make it ? Is it easy to import a vehicle from the USA where the prices are sometimes great or canadian car prices are mostly similar ? Can those of you living in Canada share some experience ?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smartstyle said:
Hi guys,

After landing in Canada, one must buy or temporaly rent a car to be able to move easily and faster.
If I want to buy a car where is the best most cost effective place to make it ? Is it easy to import a vehicle from the USA where the prices are sometimes great or canadian car prices are mostly similar ? Can those of you living in Canada share some experience ?
Hi, Importing a car from US will not be cheaper than buying a car from Canada. You can rent a car temporarily as and when needed but for regular usage till you settle down, using a rent a car will be more expensive. According to your fanancial capability you can opt for a new car or a "certified used car" with finance or cash payment. There are several companies with attractive finance schemes for buying a vehicle. However, first of all you have to get the Canadian Driving licence. What I suggest is, you have to arrange an accommodation in such an area where public transporting is easily accessable till you get driver's licence and own vehicle

smartstyle

Mar 15, 2010
Thank you for that advice.

But if you compare prices of used vehicles in the USA vs those in Canada is there a big difference or no ?
Can I immediately pass the exam in Canada after arrival and obtain a drivers license within 2-3 weeks or there is a significant time frame between passing the exam and obtaining the drivers license ?

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
smartstyle said:
Hi guys,

When you factor in the HST (harmonized sales tax) of 13% and an import duty (possible) which you have to pay, a cheaper US purchased Car and imported to Canada might be pricier than one bought in Canada. Moreover the speedometer will be configured in "Miles" and not "Kilometers", which sometimes can throw off in places where you have to watch your speed. Canada also offers great financing options.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smartstyle said:
Thank you for that advice.

But if you compare prices of used vehicles in the USA vs those in Canada is there a big difference or no ?
Can I immediately pass the exam in Canada after arrival and obtain a drivers license within 2-3 weeks or there is a significant time frame between passing the exam and obtaining the drivers license ?
for details how to obtain a driver's licence in Ontario, please see the site.

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000121

If you are planning to land and settle down in any other province, check the respective website of that province.