+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying and trading US stock in Canada

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
I would like to buy and trade US stocks in Canada?
Are there any brokers that you will recommand?
Thank you.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
If you make your own trades, Interactive Brokers, online.

If you want advice (and will pay for it), then TD has a decent brokerage house. However, as a rich friend says, the stock market is a crap shoot. Why pay somebody to hold the dice for you?

To each his own.

Mar 30, 2011
USA
Category........
NOC Code......
Hotels
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stock investments can create a significant source of income for an individual investor. Some individuals trade stocks on a full-time basis, while others buy and sell stocks as a source of supplemental income. In Canada, over $2 trillion is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) on an annual basis. Canadians also often invest in U.S.-based stocks and mutual funds. The recent ability to manage stock portfolios through the Internet has increased the popularity of investing. Learn how to buy stocks online in Canada in order to increase your income potential.

agrisiva

Nov 8, 2008
check this out. Back in the US, i used TDAmeritrade/iZone, not sure about Canada, would love to know opinions on these brokers...
http://www.davemanuel.com/2009/01/10/the-top-three-online-stock-brokers-in-canada/

May 5, 2011
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Now that the regulators have cracked down to "protect" Canadians from buying lower cost US mutual funds and paying lower US brokerage fees on stocks, it's no longer possible for all but the most determined Canadian investors to do so. This page remains as a testament to the effectiveness of our regulators in "serving" the Canadian public.

With all the low-MER Canadian-based index funds, Canadian-based ETFs and US-based ETFs that are now available through Canadian brokers, there's also less need to own Vanguard's conventional open-end funds than there used to be. Indeed Vanguard now offers a large number of ETFs that are simply different share classes of their conventional index funds. However, most of the information on taxation of US securities still remains valid and now also applies to US-based ETFs.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
agrisiva said:
check this out. Back in the US, i used TDAmeritrade/iZone, not sure about Canada, would love to know opinions on these brokers...
http://www.davemanuel.com/2009/01/10/the-top-three-online-stock-brokers-in-canada/
If you are like me, and want to be able to call someone to solve a specific problem, and you want easy-to-use stock screens, then consider:

1) Schwab
2) TD Ameritrade. (It is Canadian, even though it expanded to the States years ago.)

If you don't mind a complicated stock screen, and want even cheaper commissions, then go to Interactive Brokers. I think they will allow you to open an account from Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
If you are like me, and want to be able to call someone to solve a specific problem, and you want easy-to-use stock screens, then consider:

1) Schwab
2) TD Ameritrade. (It is Canadian, even though it expanded to the States years ago.)

If you don't mind a complicated stock screen, and want even cheaper commissions, then go to Interactive Brokers. I think they will allow you to open an account from Canada.
Toby,

Are you able to use the above websites in China to do the trading?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Toby,

Are you able to use the above websites in China to do the trading?
Don't know about TD Ameritrade. Yes to Schwab and Interactive Brokers, Steaky.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Don't know about TD Ameritrade. Yes to Schwab and Interactive Brokers, Steaky.
Thanks, Toby. I will try when I go back to China.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Thanks, Toby. I will try when I go back to China.
Are you leaving Canada, then?

Too bad if things didn't work out.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Are you leaving Canada, then?

Too bad if things didn't work out.
I am indifferent about leaving. Just that sometimes, I need return to China.