+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying a new car in the U S/CA

canada2007

Nov 28, 2006
We are planning to move from the US to Canada and considering purchasing a new vehicle in the U S. Is it cheaper to buy in the US (and drive) or in Canada? This will be part of the "LIst of Goods" therefore, we will not have to pay taxes. Is there any advantage in buying a new car in the US?

Do you know a finance company that operate in US and Canada (allow us to take it to CA)?

I have excellent credit here, does it have any value in BC, or do I need to start building credit from the beginning?

Thanks

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
My opinion is if you have money to spend in a new car that you are going to use in Canada, them buy your car in Canada. I brought my truck from Texas( I bought it new in 2004), and had to process all the paperwork in Canada, install day running lights, and now in winter buy a new battery with better amps for cold starting. Now that Temperatures reached -27C, I found that my truck needs block heater but it doesn't. If you add all these things plus the dollar exchange rate, probably you could find similar price with the US, and avoid headaches to yourself.
Also, when I landed, the immigration officer asked me if I have had this truck longer than a year, because if it was less probably I had to pay some taxes or I couldn't include it in my list of goods. (I am not sure about this, probably you need to research more).

Anyway, the final desicion is yours and good luck

finally with the credit, Same as you I have A+ credit in the US, but here I haven't found much connection with the US credit bureau (Bank system looks to me totally different and more complicated than the US), I went to the Bank and mentioned my good US credit to the rep, but They didn't care about my credit history; just for being new landed immigrant they approved me for a $500 limit unsecured credit card. I have heard that financial companies consider US credit when people is buying house, , but I am not sure about this.

canada2007

Nov 28, 2006
Thank you Dacoru!! We are moving to BC and from Texas too! I am leasing my current vehicle (2004) and it has one more year to go. I was thinking of paying it off and bringing to BC. It has plus equity! But I guess I should sell and buy one in Ca?