Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
March 2011 !!! :):)
Can my husband (a us citzen in process of PR,on vistiors visa,getting papoerwork done) buy a house here? WE have found a really nice house but want to make sure its ok to buy it. It would be a cash sale in my husbands name only.

Dayanara

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
Brampton, ON
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
13-07-2010
AOR Received.
07-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-08-2010
Med's Done....
20-05-2010
Passport Req..
30-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2010
LANDED..........
07-10-2010
I am not sure on a cash sale. But I know that it takes two years of PR before you can apply for a mortgage. You cannot apply for a mortgage with 0 credit. My husband and I had to get my parents to help with a mortgage for the condo we just bought since I did not qualify by myself for the price range we wanted.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

djboinsk said:
Can my husband (a us citzen in process of PR,on vistiors visa,getting papoerwork done) buy a house here? WE have found a really nice house but want to make sure its ok to buy it. It would be a cash sale in my husbands name only.
Yes there are no restrictions.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
I spoke with a mortgage broker regarding getting a mortgage (and you'd be cash so I think it'd be even easier) about obtaining one (in my husbands name- the Canadian) when we return and he said there would be no trouble.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Out of my care for all the new comers, I must say and stress that you have to be careful. I have had a very bad experience myself. That is why I started my post this way, so no one can accuse me of being negative. We paid in cash as well. I am afraid the Real Estate in Canada is a big mess. There are loads of loopholes in Real Estate Law. In Canada, the total population is almost 35 M, and you can find the number of realtors exceeds anywhere else in the world. So, of course they have to make business and make money. We were misled in a way, if it happened in UK, where we came from, it would end with criminal charges and jail. Our own "Buyer Realtor" lied to us. the sellers and their realtor lied to us. The law has something called "Buyers be-wares". So, technically it will be your own fault. This can be a gloomy opinion but sincerely I say it "be aware and be careful". If the house is older than 10 years, never sign an offer unconditionally. The house needs to get inspected carefully. The inspector has to be an expert. You insist that owners must disclose any defect and in writing. The Real Estate law has to change or Canada has to be counted as a third world in that aspect....I am afraid. Sorry to scare you but you only buy a house once or twice in life. The pain of lies and deception is enormous

Reactions: Noramoda

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Halifax-Maple said:
Out of my care for all the new comers, I must say and stress that you have to be careful. I have had a very bad experience myself. That is why I started my post this way, so no one can accuse me of being negative. We paid in cash as well. I am afraid the Real Estate in Canada is a big mess. There are loads of loopholes in Real Estate Law. In Canada, the total population is almost 35 M, and you can find the number of realtors exceeds anywhere else in the world. So, of course they have to make business and make money. We were misled in a way, if it happened in UK, where we came from, it would end with criminal charges and jail. Our own "Buyer Realtor" lied to us. the sellers and their realtor lied to us. The law has something called "Buyers be-wares". So, technically it will be your own fault. This can be a gloomy opinion but sincerely I say it "be aware and be careful". If the house is older than 10 years, never sign an offer unconditionally. The house needs to get inspected carefully. The inspector has to be an expert. You insist that owners must disclose any defect and in writing. The Real Estate law has to change or Canada has to be counted as a third world in that aspect....I am afraid. Sorry to scare you but you only buy a house once or twice in life. The pain of lies and deception is enormous
Buyer Beware just means that the onus (responsibility) is on the buyer to ensure that the real property that they are buying is what they think it is. The sellers didnt lie if they themselves didnt know about the problem - can you be 100% sure that they were aware?

How did your real estate agent lie to you? Because there is recourse that you can take - you can report them to the real estate board for misconduct.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
In UK, the house's price is estimated by the real estate expert and according to the market. So, in practice it is a fixed price. The buyer is "fisrt come..first serve". So you pay what you saw, and you make your decision after inspecting the house and feel it is worth the money. The house can get reduced if no buyers were available. The possession can not take place legally unless the paper work is complete, including inspection (Serveying). The serveyor is liable in the future for any error in the inspection process. The Survey companies are insured for that purpose. The level of insulation and building codes have to meet minimal level or otherwise the sale can not be completed (by law). This is not the case in Canada. The sale of a house in Canada is like competition or auction. Eveyone goes there and makes an offer. The price can escalate up up to double....so who pays more is the winner. Inspection is not an obligation unless you put it in writing. So be careful again and forgive my anger. Otherwise hope everything else in Canada is/will be rosy for all

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
heatherusa said:
Buyer Beware just means that the onus (responsibility) is on the buyer to ensure that the real property that they are buying is what they think it is. The sellers didnt lie if they themselves didnt know about the problem - can you be 100% sure that they were aware?

How did your real estate agent lie to you? Because there is recourse that you can take - you can report them to the real estate board for misconduct.
Heather,
I know and understand what you are saying. But I was in the field and I got the real experience. Sellers can still hide things and get their lawyers to justify. The real estate (mine) introduced the tenants as the real owners. Tenants answered crucial questions (as owners in conspiracy). He made me believe that Inspection before taking possession is a MUST, like England. It turns to be a lie and buyers be wares. I had a witness. I made a complaint to Real Estate Association. The reply was as usual (due to Privacy Act we are unable to disclose what action was taken). The man is still practicing his business and his "buyer bewares till this minute. You mentioned "course of Actions". Do you think a new comer would have the time, the money, the experience that allow him/her to start a new life in Courts?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Halifax-Maple said:
Heather,
I know and understand what you are saying. But I was in the field and I got the real experience. Sellers can still hide things and get their lawyers to justify. The real estate (mine) introduced the tenants as the real owners. Tenants answered crucial questions (as owners in conspiracy). He made me believe that Inspection before taking possession is a MUST, like England. It turns to be a lie and buyers be wares. I had a witness. I made a complaint to Real Estate Association. The reply was as usual (due to Privacy Act we are unable to disclose what action was taken). The man is still practicing his business and his "buyer bewares till this minute. You mentioned "course of Actions". Do you think a new comer would have the time, the money, the experience that allow him/her to start a new life in Courts?
I completely agree with you that sellers can hide things and that they often do. I was just merely asking how your agent lied to you. Maybe he didnt know that the people he thought were owners were really tenants. Doesnt really matter I guess. Yes, I said you have "recourse". I dont presume to know whether anyone has time, money or experience to take that action - but the "recourse" is there anyways. I understand this is a "hot" topic for you and I was just asking for more information to understand more, which, I believed was the reason that you posted the information in the first place.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
A Little Town In Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
Thanks for your replies. The house is 90 years old and beautiful. We plan on doing on a full inspection by a qualfied inspector before any type of offer goes through. This has always been common knowledge to me whether the house is 1 year or 100 years old.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
djboinsk said:
Thanks for your replies. The house is 90 years old and beautiful. We plan on doing on a full inspection by a qualfied inspector before any type of offer goes through. This has always been common knowledge to me whether the house is 1 year or 100 years old.
What province are you buying your house in? I have seen some of the most lovely farm houses that are really very structurally sound and beautiful that are 90+ years old.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
A Little Town In Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
heatherusa said:
What province are you buying your house in? I have seen some of the most lovely farm houses that are really very structurally sound and beautiful that are 90+ years old.
Saskatchewan. Its in a small town but i just love it :)

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Heather, I know your meaning is good. I sincerely posted for the benefit of those new comers who can easily get misled. I did not mean to express personal bitterness at all.
The Tenant was a developer who works untill today with the same realtor in construction business. They both are close friends of real owner. It was a plot. They knew it was a cash payment. If it was a mortgage, may be the bank could have done something different. The tenants gave positive report delibrately. They made me to believe that "how wonderful house it was and that they were moving the city". Just read my few posts above and you will get the condensed picture. I am happy to answer any Q if details are needed.
Have a good day

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I was surprised by how real estate works here as well. We are tenants in our home in Toronto. About 6 months into our one year lease the owners decide to sell their "investment property." We had people trooping through our place for months asking lots of questions of us. Some looked at us like we were criminal when we answered "I don't know to their questions." I finally had to start introducing myself to the real estate agents as the tenant. Fortunately for us, no one made an offer and it is now off the market.

My sponsor just sold his place in Montreal (a nearly 100 year old triplex). The accepted offer was well over the asking price with no inspection (because they knew other offers were being submitted)! I can not believe that a mortgage company would approve a loan for a home with no inspection. Heck, where I come from you have to have an annual termite inspection just to legally maintain the mortgage agreement. Needless to say we are happy to sell for the price offered. Now if I could just sell my place in the states all would be well with the world.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
AllisonVSC

I have had more to say. I have been so shocked too. It is a mess. I don't wish to tell the whole story but more than happy to answer any Q. It is a Monoply... business ...extortion..etc etc. To go into the recourses I need resources. It means I sell the house to pay and feed the troll lawyers. Take another example of the Cnd Health system. Do you think they have adequate health system? especially in remote areas? Yet, they still claim they are higher than Europe in health care and they still can not recognize a PhD doctor, who is qualified and trained in Europe. My husband is one of those European qualified and trained doc but when we finsih the immigration complex syndrome, he still has to pass their superiority exams, before he can be equal to their superior docs. I do not wish to go on and on because someone may jum and say :"look Halifax-Maple, if you don't like it go back to where you came from". In fact, it was thrown into my face more than once:" if you don't like it go back to where you came from"