Mar 26, 2015
Tukey
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
This forum helped me a lot though my PR process. I am moving to Ontario on May. I have a Turkish drivers license which cannot just be replaced with ON license. I want to buy a car in first few days after I arrive. I will pay cash. But how can I do car insurance with foreign drivers license. And do you know how long does it take to get G license?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
HakikiKanada said:
Hi all,
This forum helped me a lot though my PR process. I am moving to Ontario on May. I have a Turkish drivers license which cannot just be replaced with ON license. I want to buy a car in first few days after I arrive. I will pay cash. But how can I do car insurance with foreign drivers license. And do you know how long does it take to get G license?
You will not be able to purchase a car or obtain car insurance with a foreign license. you can learn about licensing procedures here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-0

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Also see https://www.ontario.ca/page/buy-or-sell-used-vehicle-ontario
You will need to provide your Ontario drivers license to register the vehicle.

This is also useful information. https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker

Matar

Star Member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/8/2007
Doc's Request.
25/9/2009
IELTS Request
30/09/2010
Med's Request
17/7/2012
Med's Done....
14/9/2012
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
5/3/2015
HakikiKanada said:
Hi all,

as everybody informed, that you can't buy a car without a G2 driver license! you may get an international driver license out of your Turkish one, by this will be able to drive for almost 3 months using this license.

regarding the time frame, you can get G1 directly. for G2 it depends, from 2-3 weeks to get an appointment. for full G, if you have a history certificate for your driving (more than 3 years or more) will allow you to go for full G directly otherwise you should wait for 1 year to apply for it.

HakikiKanada

Mar 26, 2015
Tukey
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all.

So I understand it takes 3 weeks to get a G2/G license. Then I can register a car I bought.

Forcer

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Can anyone with experience prove that you can not buy and use a car immediately after the first arrival in Ontario? According to the Ontario.ca site,
When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.
so it sounds like I can drive and use a car for the first 60 days. So why I cant purchase and drive a vehicle?

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Can anyone with experience prove that you can not buy and use a car immediately after the first arrival in Ontario? According to the Ontario.ca site,

so it sounds like I can drive and use a car for the first 60 days. So why I cant purchase and drive a vehicle?
Because being allowed to use an out of province or overseas driving license is different from being able to buy a car. You can rent a car or use a friend's car using those licenses. To buy a car under your name you will need your own license and get insurance.

Reactions: Forcer

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thank you all.

So I understand it takes 3 weeks to get a G2/G license. Then I can register a car I bought.
No you did not understand. AFTER you get the G2 license then you will be able to arrange for the insurance and buy the car.

What's the rush to buy a car immediately upon landing? What if you are not able to pass the G2/G test (many newcomers with 10+ driving history found themselves failing those tests). You will keep the car on your drive way for months?

As far as I am aware purchasing insurance in Ontario will require you to have an Ontario driving license. Without insurance, you will not be allowed to buy the car as this is required for the transfer documentation and registration paperwork. Strictly speaking you may be able to buy a car with your G1 license, but the rates will be astronomical (think 800-1000$ + per month).

Another thing to remember is that once you start the Ontario driving license process by getting the G1 written test, you will not be able to use your international driving license anymore and whenever you drive you must have an experienced G driver in the passenger seat. There are many other restrictions on driving with the G1 license you can check the transport department website for details.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
No you did not understand. AFTER you get the G2 license then you will be able to arrange for the insurance and buy the car.

What's the rush to buy a car immediately upon landing? What if you are not able to pass the G2/G test (many newcomers with 10+ driving history found themselves failing those tests). You will keep the car on your drive way for months?

As far as I am aware purchasing insurance in Ontario will require you to have an Ontario driving license. Without insurance, you will not be allowed to buy the car as this is required for the transfer documentation and registration paperwork. Strictly speaking you may be able to buy a car with your G1 license, but the rates will be astronomical (think 800-1000$ + per month).

Another thing to remember is that once you start the Ontario driving license process by getting the G1 written test, you will not be able to use your international driving license anymore and whenever you drive you must have an experienced G driver in the passenger seat. There are many other restrictions on driving with the G1 license you can check the transport department website for details.
:)

that was a 2016 post.

Forcer

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Because being allowed to use an out of province or overseas driving license is different from being able to buy a car. You can rent a car or use a friend's car using those licenses. To buy a car under your name you will need your own license and get insurance.
Thank you for the response, the logic is understandable.

Another unclear thing I wanted to clarify - according to ontario.ca newcomers have 60 days to switch to the Ontario driving licence, and If I have 2+ proven years of overseas experience, I pass the exam and get the G licence. But what if I fail the 1st test attempt? Can I try again and get the G licence, or my overseas experience and licence lose its value and I have to start from the beginning, G1 licence?

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thank you for the response, the logic is understandable.

Another unclear thing I wanted to clarify - according to ontario.ca newcomers have 60 days to switch to the Ontario driving licence, and If I have 2+ proven years of overseas experience, I pass the exam and get the G licence. But what if I fail the 1st test attempt? Can I try again and get the G licence, or my overseas experience and licence lose its value and I have to start from the beginning, G1 licence?
I had the same situation in 2017 when I first moved and wasn't able to clear the first attempt to G. First, regardless of your overseas license, you need to do the written test (G1). Once this is done and your experience verified, you can sign up for the G. If you fail the G test, you cannot take it again right away. You will need to pass the G2 test. There is no almost waiting time (I think 10 days or so). Only after you pass the G2 test that you can attempt again the G test.