+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Visitor app for Self Employed Visa?

Foodie

Feb 25, 2015
Hi,
I've been looking at Express Entry for a while but it doesn't seem to fit my situation. I've posted in this section before but just a re-cap: coming to Canada in the summer from the UK as a business visitor (food writing and media publishing), hopefully staying for 6 months and looking at whether to settle in ON.

New question then: can I come to Canada as a business visitor if I already have an application for a self-employed visa being processed? Or, would it be more appropriate to apply for self-employed status, while I'm in the country as a business visitor?

Many thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Business visas are for short term visits to Canada where someone is coming for a business meeting or to visit a client site for a few days. They don't allow you to work and live in Canada as a self-employed person. And you certainly cannot stay for months.

You can certainly come to Canada as a visitor. However you won't be allowed to work while here.

Alternatively, if you want to work in Canada temporarily, you will have to find an employer who is willing to offer you a full time job and also obtain an approved LMIA - you will then have to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If you are the right age - the working holiday visa (IEC) may also be an option. However these are in very short supply and difficult to get - and rounds 1 and 2 (of 3) have already been completed for this year.

Foodie

Feb 25, 2015
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I've used the wrong term there. It's not actually a business visa - I'd be a UK visitor who (based on a reading number of other threads and advice given here and on other sites for the last 9 months or so) would be permitted to do some of my UK work, while I was within Canada. I would not be looking to work with / for Canadian companies without a work permit. Again, this position is informed by reading / re-reading the CIC regulations and other discussions / advice.

But the other part of my question is key - can I visit while I have an active application for a self employed visa, or could I apply for that status while visiting Canada?

Foodie

Feb 25, 2015
Not as such, no. We get a general stamp in our passport which can last for up to 6 months, but that's not guaranteed.