+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BSF186 and declaration card

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi,
I would just like to confirm if all I need when I land in Canada is COPR and declaration forms (2 copies) and that I don't have to fill any declaration card on the plane.
Thanks for your help!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Depending on the airport you're flying into, there are often no longer declaration cards on the airplane. Your initial interaction may be with a computer kiosk; on that kiosk, I believe there is an option for landing immigrants. You'll get a receipt, the first round of customs officers will refer you to secondary screening and to the immigration clearance process.

If you do get a declaration card on the plane, read it - there may be an option for "I am landing as a Permanent Resident" or similar.

Reactions: marnot

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Depending on the airport you're flying into, there are often no longer declaration cards on the airplane. Your initial interaction may be with a computer kiosk; on that kiosk, I believe there is an option for landing immigrants. You'll get a receipt, the first round of customs officers will refer you to secondary screening and to the immigration clearance process.

If you do get a declaration card on the plane, read it - there may be an option for "I am landing as a Permanent Resident" or similar.
Thanks so much for your help!
As for the BSF186 forms, would you suggest to get them ready prior to landing? If so, am I supposed to list goods in great detail, like every t-shirt, every spoon or I can just group all of my accompanying items into specific categories?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm not too sure, you can search through the forum for how to fill them out. I'm sure a lot of people prepare their personal effects declarations well before landing, perhaps even before getting onto the plane.

Reactions: marnot

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
You don't need to complete BSF 186 forms. Just have 2 copies each of Accompanying Goods and Goods to Follow printed on sheets of paper. Include serial numbers where applicable and appraisals / photographs of jewelry. Hand the lists over to Customs and they will stamp it and return one copy to you along with a BSF form indicating any taxes/duty if any that would be due later. You will need to show this document to clear your goods.

You can also download the eDeclaration app from CBSA to your phone, complete the declaration for yourself and accompanying family members electronically and generate a QR code 24 hours prior to landing. For purpose of travel you would choose Immigration. At the kiosk you would then scan the QR code and your passport.

Reactions: marnot and k.h.p.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
You don't need to complete BSF 186 forms. Just have 2 copies each of Accompanying Goods and Goods to Follow printed on sheets of paper. Include serial numbers where applicable and appraisals / photographs of jewelry. Hand the lists over to Customs and they will stamp it and return one copy to you along with a BSF form indicating any taxes/duty if any that would be due later. You will need to show this document to clear your goods.

You can also download the eDeclaration app from CBSA to your phone, complete the declaration for yourself and accompanying family members electronically and generate a QR code 24 hours prior to landing. For purpose of travel you would choose Immigration. At the kiosk you would then scan the QR code and your passport.
Yeah, I think I’ll use the app since I haven’t got my Accompanying Goods list and printed copies of BSF 186 instead. Besides, I don’t have any Goods to Follow planned. I will get the other stuff I left behind with me on my next trip to Italy, when I’ll be officially resident. Thanks for your hep!

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018

@canuckinla: Do we have to declare the jewellery on us as well or just the ones we carry in our luggage only ?

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
@canuckinla: Do we have to declare the jewellery on us as well or just the ones we carry in our luggage only ?
If you have many items of jewelry and/or the items appear expensive it's best to declare it along with an appraisal. Any item over $10,000 is taxable. We had to remove the jewelry from the GTF list as we had not included photos or appraisals for it. Having an appraisal is important.

ba24123n

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
If you have many items of jewelry and/or the items appear expensive it's best to declare it along with an appraisal. Any item over $10,000 is taxable. We had to remove the jewelry from the GTF list as we had not included photos or appraisals for it. Having an appraisal is important.
@canuckinla: I appreciate your quick response but I am sorry that I am not able to comprehend your response. My question was, do we have to declare jewellery if there on our body ? I arranged for appraisal for other jewellery items that I am packing in cabin/check-in baggage but I am just not sure if I got to declare for the ones that we wear on ourselves.

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
@canuckinla: I appreciate your quick response but I am sorry that I am not able to comprehend your response. My question was, do we have to declare jewellery if there on our body ? I arranged for appraisal for other jewellery items that I am packing in cabin/check-in baggage but I am just not sure if I got to declare for the ones that we wear on ourselves.
I declared my wife's wedding ring along with her watch she was wearing at the time. However, it wasn't necessary. If the jewelry appears expensive or you are wearing lots of it, it would be prudent to declare it to avoid issues.