+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brutal Winter and a Jobless Immigrant family

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's why, I think, Canada is becoming more like US. Without LMO i.e. a confirmed job after finding no Canadian, no PR. This will solve problems of immigrants landing here and not finding jobs in their field. It will also solve problems of current Canadians and PRs not finding jobs.

This guys story is quite sad, but is a reality for a lot of immigrants who came in w/o a job offer, Canadian experience or degrees. It's different for international students though, since they study here, do internships, get jobs etc.

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
april2014_AINP said:
That's why, I think, Canada is becoming more like US. Without LMO i.e. a confirmed job after finding no Canadian, no PR. This will solve problems of immigrants landing here and not finding jobs in their field. It will also solve problems of current Canadians and PRs not finding jobs.

This guys story is quite sad, but is a reality for a lot of immigrants who came in w/o a job offer, Canadian experience or degrees. It's different for international students though, since they study here, do internships, get jobs etc.
mmm.....let me gues... you're already in Canada or have lmo.....selfish

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
april2014_AINP said:

Comments like this is why I didn't want that frustrated fellow coming on this thread and saying how bad Canada is, after him and his family have lived there and enjoyed social amenities for three years. You now live in Canada and are trying to shut the door on others.

I've got to get to Canada before folks like you spoil it for me. May those ITAs keep coming down please. The only difference is after I get there, I won't try to close the door on others. Canada is the largest or one of the largest countries in the world(even much larger than USA). There is room for everyone and opportunity for hardworking people. Don't shut the door on me. Those cutoffs should keep coming down fast pls.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Singalingali said:
Comments like this is why I didn't want that frustrated fellow coming on this thread and saying how bad Canada is, after him and his family have lived there and enjoyed social amenities for three years. You now live in Canada and are trying to shut the door on others.

I've got to get to Canada before folks like you spoil it for me. May those ITAs keep coming down please. The only difference is after I get there, I won't try to close the door on others. Canada is the largest or one of the largest countries in the world(even much larger than USA). There is room for everyone and opportunity for hardworking people. Don't shut the door on me. Those cutoffs should keep coming down fast pls.
What are you talking about, how can anyone shut off the door for immigrants? Canadian government are pragmatic and they need to adjust to situation, that's why Express Entry is in place. Years ago when I applied, we only need 67 points and most of us fell victim and have a miserable life without good jobs because we think there are too many opportunities when indeed there is none. Everyone of us who are here are immigrants, we know the situation here. You know why University has admission standard? If it is widely open, then the students can get the degree and that piece of degree is useless because there is no job! Canada is a mess right now already, you go to Toronto and see how many homeless people on the street, even in the brutal cold winter there are still people sleeping in subway stations, shelters are overcrowded and conditions are so scary there that people rather die of cold than going to shelters. Canada has large size but only a small portion of that is habitable. Only a small stretch close to the US are livable, rest are either rocks, swamp, freezing places that only polar bear and coyotes can live. Suggest you apply for visitor visa and come here to see how bad the roads are in big cities like Montreal and even Toronto. Cross over the US border and everything is much cleaner and better. Although everyone says Canada is first world, it is indeed slipping into a third world status now. CAD's economy mainly rely on oil and mining industry, with oil price plummeted there is no prospect here any more, Alberta is the only hope for immigrants and it is going into recession. CAD is now only 0.78 USD and can drop till 0.6. Things are expensive as almost all food products are imported from US, how can you expect to live with $11/hour subsistent job and even with those job you do not have full 37.5 hours a week, you only have 10-20 hours on call, how can you survive?

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Singalingali said:
mmm.....let me gues... you're already in Canada or have lmo.....selfish
Actually I don't have LMO. I am a PGWP worker; and you might have come across the frustration most PGWP workers are dealing with in other threads.

But that being said, there is no need to insult the guy who started this thread. He was just recounting his experience, which unfortunately is a lot of others' story as well.

Also, when I said this is why Canada is making the system more like US, I didn't mean it should. What it should do is create better job opportunities, develop manufacturing and R&D, cut its excessive reliance on oil etc.

Reactions: hamgha

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
april2014_AINP said:
Actually I don't have LMO. I am a PGWP worker; and you might have come across the frustration most PGWP workers are dealing with in other threads.

But that being said, there is no need to insult the guy who started this thread. He was just recounting his experience, which unfortunately is a lot of others' story as well.

Also, when I said this is why Canada is making the system more like US, I didn't mean it should. What it should do is create better job opportunities, develop manufacturing and R&D, cut its excessive reliance on oil etc.
Anyone who actually lived in Canada like you and me has realistic view of the economy here, but for immigrants like Singalingali, they only care about getting the PR first, which is ok, but then after they got the PR then they do not prepare and just pack and leave thinking that jobs will just fall from the sky. Having received some emails from recruiters do not mean that you are in high demand, the entire market here is smaller than Texas alone and there is a capacity limit.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Singalingali said:

I've got to get to Canada before folks like you spoil it for me.
May those ITAs keep coming down please. The only difference is after I get there, I won't try to close the door on others. Canada is the largest or one of the largest countries in the world(even much larger than USA). There is room for everyone and opportunity for hardworking people. Don't shut the door on me. Those cutoffs should keep coming down fast pls.
How rude! And how ignorant! :( :( :(

While the OP's account does not apply to *all* immigrants, it's a very realistic view for many, many newcomers.

It is also very realistic for many young Canadians. One of my sons & his friends spend the year travelling from one end of the country to the other for seasonal work.

What particular "social amenities" (your words) do you think the OP has "enjoyed"?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
Anyone who actually lived in Canada like you and me has realistic view of the economy here, but for immigrants like Singalingali, they only care about getting the PR first, which is ok, but then after they got the PR then they do not prepare and just pack and leave thinking that jobs will just fall from the sky. Having received some emails from recruiters do not mean that you are in high demand, the entire market here is smaller than Texas alone and there is a capacity limit.
Very well said. Thank you!

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
deerestlovelybear said:
I am not trying to discourage anyone from applying. In fact I encourage EVERYONE to apply if you are from destitute, corrupted countries without opportunities. Having the PR from Canada or any other countries can only be good and do no harm. What I am trying to say is before you move your entire family here, you should do your homework, never burnt every bridge and always have a back up plan. What if you cannot get a job that pay enough to support your family within 6 months, do you have enough money to continue searching for jobs without taking surviving jobs? Did you have family or friends that you can rely on? Should you move to Toronto or Vancouver or Red Deer, Fort Murray? Don't be a victim of overconfidence, life is miserable if you do not plan well, I learnt the lesson but it is too late and too expensive to make the corrections and I am struggling. I do not want to see more people become destitute and desperate in this country like we do (and many of other immigrant families I know).
I totally get what you are saying. And pray to God everyday for the job I have. Just last week 24 people were laid off in one day in our company. But a couple of pointers if that helps you :
1. Pls plan to move out of your province if you are not getting enough job there. Especially in Manitoba which really needs people. I would not suggest Alberta given the current situation. But I see Ontario is going to boom this year in manufacturing industry, so you might hang around as well for some months.
2. Pls do not compare jobs you did in home country. Here it's pretty different and the notion of White Collar Job is often elusive in Canada. I simply mean being flexible because you have to run the family.
3. Your wife was an analyst in home country. I know a Senior Accountant from Nigeria who worked as the clerk in the real estate agent's office. And she said I traded my life for quality i.e. less corruption, less pollution, quality standard of leaving, physical safety to a higher profession I held in my country. I know women of my country who taught in school worked as counter girls in Walmart. But after few years they completed courses to qualify as teachers and they are in the Board of Education today. Try to enhance your educational qualification.
I know my words would sound stupid to you but just wanted to share some thoughts.

n4mo

Feb 2, 2015
Lammawitch said:
BUT, we can't compare this: the U.S. has no PR visa stream which grants PR *without a confirmed job offer* (spouse stream excepted).
Hmmm, not quite true. US does have the diversity lottery program, also the EB streams (specifically E4 & E5) don't require sponsorship.

kkankal

Oct 2, 2010
I moved to Calgary from the UK in December 2013. Fortunately, I managed to secure a job before I moved here. I have been with the same employer for little over 1 year and have seen two rounds of layoffs with a total of 8 people losing their jobs. The difficult part is that layoffs are happening in almost all companies in the worst case or new hirings are frozen in the best case.

I am not familiar with the situation in Toronto but do not expect the economy to be significantly better than Calgary. In my opinion, the OP was only narrating his experiences and I can definitely see some of those situations being replicated in Calgary. No one other than the Canadian government has the authority to restrict immigration levels and it is very unfair to level that accusation against the OP. That being said, I assume that people immigrating under the EE stream would already be coming with a job in their profession and hopefully would not face the same difficulties that the OP is going through. For those who will be coming to Canada without a job, my sincere suggestion is for you have a backup plan in case things don't work out.

new_day

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
deerestlovelybear said:
Hi guys,

Looking at this excitement about applying for PR reminding me and my family of years ago when we was as excited as you guys applying for Permanent Resident. I still remember the date I got my PR visas for the entire family, it was like we are going to a paradise, it was the best day in our life, we was so happy.

But now the reality of a broken dream in Canada is killing us day by day. Since the day we landed in this land, supposed to be our dream new home, we have sent countless of job applications. We followed all the advices, we volunteered and work for free and being exploited till we could not stand any more. My wife and I both took turn going back to school and spent the last dollar of savings into our last investment in a hope of landing a white collar job. We are not looking for jobs that pay 100K, all we need is a decent white collar job that we do not have to hide our qualifications and experience back home, a job that feed our family and do not leave our back so painful we cannot sleep at night. Over 3 years since we are here, all we have are surviving jobs, we shoved snow, cut grass, cleaned toilet, watched over shops at night in dangerous areas, yet we are not able to save any money and we spent all our hard earned money we got before we came to Canada. We want our parents here to help taking care of the kids while we upgrade ourselves but the insurance cost of super visa is forbidden barrier and it is almost impossible to sponsor them to Canada, even the 5000 lucky people submitting application on the 1st day of the year when application is opened and earn tons of $$ to meet the income requirements need to wait over 10 years till the time their parent can come to Canada as PR.

The market here is simply too small and there is absolutely no white collar job for immigrants unless you already have family or friends who are in the position of hiring you. People here are nice but this is simply too small an economy to absorb the huge number of skilled immigrants each year. Canada has been admitting a quarter of million skilled workers every year over the past decades and if you look at the number of jobs created last year, you know where those people will end up to. Canada now is not like Canada in the 1980s and 1990s, the number of jobs created each year barely match the number of local graduates and schools here increase the intake year by year because international students is a huge source of their revenue. I am totally shocked at why the government keep adding too many skilled immigrants to the country every year despite the brutal reality and hardship that these immigrants have to go to. This is clearly inhumane and misleading. Many families from other countries are leaving everything behind in the false hope of a better life in Canada just to realize that there is nothing for them here and they have to clean toilet, wash dishes or drive taxi. No matter if you have PhD or are managers back home, there is nothing for you here to use your skills and knowledge.

If the purpose is to recruit foreign skilled workers to do labourer job then what about Canadian youth who are jobless and desperate to earn some money to pay back their tuition loan? I totally do not understand the system, it is completely a scam and it is brutal. Just last week I was laid off from my security guard job, turned out that it was filled by another young immigrant. I am pretty sure he get less than what I earned which is just slightly above the minimum wage for a night shift job. And now the winter is brutal, and our family is turning to meagre social assistant and EI that is hardly enough to put foot on the table. We do not know what to do, it is harsh here. We want to go back, but the thought of being looked at like a "loser" make us feel so painful. Everyday I look at the snow, I just feel like we made the worst decision to leave everything behind and we are paying for that decision.

Bro
Where do u live?
did you try to another province where there are labour shortages i.e. saskatchewan?

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kkankal said:
For those who will be coming to Canada without a job, my sincere suggestion is for you have a backup plan in case things don't work out.
That's why CIC asks you to prove that you have more than enough funds to settle down while you get used to the workings of your new country.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
n4mo said:
Hmmm, not quite true. US does have the diversity lottery program, also the EB streams (specifically E4 & E5) don't require sponsorship.
Oops, quite right!!