+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brutal Winter and a Jobless Immigrant family

JamesMilla

Dec 27, 2014
I would not agree. I have helped internationally trained professionals to find work in their field. Google the JSW Ontario program, an excellent program to attend.

praneet87

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I kind of agree that immigrants tend to have issues with finding a job, but then again what white collar job do you want? What is your qualification? Toronto is competitive yes, but not so competitive too.

sumairak

Jul 18, 2014
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
In process
Nomination.....
Saskatchewan
AOR Received.
Aug 10, 2015
I sympathize with you but now it is the time for taking some brave steps.U were courageous to take step to come here but now u have to do a little more for yourself and your family. As many people suggested try different city for the job. I am not saying to go to other city with your family n risk again. Try to give interview on call/ Skype. I don't know abt ur field so try to search the area where ur skills are in more demand. LinkedIn can be very useful for u. Make ur profile attractive n updated n add recruiters n ppl from your field n contact them if they have any open position.
I wonder why ppl always look for white color jobs why not blue color jobs. They can pay you more than white color jobs. I found a job of a truck driver n when I saw the salary my jaw got dropped they were paying $40/ hour. I mean that's insane. A mid level job will not give you this much! I know it would be a hard job but look at the return it is giving you.
I don't understand why immigrants choose Toronto. Its a second costliest province of canada! Ofcourse it will be hard to live there.
My honest suggestion for you is to plan n act what you want to do now. If doing all of this looks difficult to you then going back is the last option. Don't consider what ppl would think if u go back. Ignore them n do what n how you can make u n ur family at ease.
All the best to you.

Reactions: RajKumarArora

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
praneet87 said:
Thats the only good scenario in Toronto. lol
I would agree that IT contracting is not bad in Toronto, but it is for very specific roles (hard core programmers) and most of the jobs are short term, temporary. Regarding my background, I am a DBA and IT manager with 18 years of experience and my wife is a financial analyst with MBA. We tried to apply for everything from entry level to mid level jobs, from IT to Accounting, finance to marketing, operation. We also cut away all our qualification such as Masters, MBA etc but still does not help. My wife and I even went back to school to do a diploma in accounting but for me I did not get any job (got a few call for interview and when they found out I am not young kid they just politely rejected). My wife got a few short term "maternal leave replacement" contract but the jobs are extremely lowly paid ($11-$12.5/hour account payable/book keeping role) and none has led to a full time job. There are some months that we were close to being kicked out due to not enough money to pay the rent. The job market in Canada now is all short term temporary jobs, very few are permanent with full benefits. Some full time jobs are converted to temp so that employers can save on benefits and they know they have tons of applicants.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Conor9900 said:
+1 purplesnow. The country is replete with white collar jobs and I and all my friends had no issue securing them in a short space of time, which would not have been the case in my home country. While I sympathise with your situation, immigrants who come to Canada and end up on social assistance are exactly what Canada is trying to avoid with their new ranking system, hence the marks for speaking the national languages, having Canadian work experience etc
I am not sure what country you are from, I was also told this by our immigration consultants, that Canada is full of jobs, they even shown me picture of happy families and "true story" of people getting job the first week they landed in Canada. Maybe that happened in 1990s? But for now Canada is very different. My wife and I have no intention to collect welfare and never want to do so, but there is no opportunity for us, we are forced to rely on this to survive, we have kids too. I came to Canada with over 30K of savings and that has gone and we are now heavily in debt. If there is a job for us out there, I would be more than happy to work rather than collecting EI. And EI is not exactly welfare, every month my paycheck was deducted for EI premium, that is my hard earn money, the money that I earned with blood and sweat, literally.

pintspin

Jul 23, 2013
deerestlovelybear said:
I am not sure what country you are from, I was also told this by our immigration consultants, that Canada is full of jobs, they even shown me picture of happy families and "true story" of people getting job the first week they landed in Canada. Maybe that happened in 1990s? But for now Canada is very different. My wife and I have no intention to collect welfare and never want to do so, but there is no opportunity for us, we are forced to rely on this to survive, we have kids too. I came to Canada with over 30K of savings and that has gone and we are now heavily in debt. If there is a job for us out there, I would be more than happy to work rather than collecting EI. And EI is not exactly welfare, every month my paycheck was deducted for EI premium, that is my hard earn money, the money that I earned with blood and sweat, literally.
dear deerestlovelybear,

Sorry for your situation , one practical advise is that , try and attempt with full flow and blow , and keep trying is the success point ...and dont loose hopes ...!!

since you are a DBA , now a days DBA trend has been changed very drastically ,being DBA is not enough altough you are not a young kid but you can learn what young kids are learning and you can outshine with blend of your experience as DBA ,

1, take the free courses from MOOC-list ( google it ) spend some 2 hours daily on it
2, Learn Hadoop , and Big data , and analytics , as per my estimations since data is growing huge and huge on daily basis so next 10 years will hopefully be for Data and Data and since you are DBA , you will be having no issues with , SQL , and PLSQL but these are OLD now , try to learn , managing the Huge Data , like BIgdata , hadoop, datamart , Cloud Management.
3, update your CV then and there and keep trying...
4, if i was at your place i would at first step will send my whole family back home country and will try alone ... ! it will save efforts and money , ( but daily skype with your family to get the hope and inspiration )
5, Keep trying...!! trust in Allah ...

best of luck ...! its my simple formula to , analyze , analyze , analyze , analyze , then take decision and execution , with trust of Allah ,

regadrs
nyy

Reactions: mrzbd

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
the secret is apply too many jobs as you can, my wife used to apply 10 or 20 jobs per day and she got a great white collar job in a Financial , but also she has studied here in Canada, we came as international student 2 years ago.think possitive.

White knight 22

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think this man is trying to discourage people to apply for unknown reason!!!! he did not mention anything about his work history or what kind of qualification he has!!! here is a clear message,, if u don't like it there , you would not stay for one single day .. i lived in Australia before and i know what kind of life standard difference people can find in those new countries.. people r ready to cross the ocean in boats just to get there...play another game dude coz discouraging people here would not give you that much advantage in your application processing for PR u did not obtain yet as i guess :(

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
Hi guys,

Looking at this excitement about applying for PR reminding me and my family of years ago when we was as excited as you guys applying for Permanent Resident. I still remember the date I got my PR visas for the entire family, it was like we are going to a paradise, it was the best day in our life, we was so happy.

But now the reality of a broken dream in Canada is killing us day by day. Since the day we landed in this land, supposed to be our dream new home, we have sent countless of job applications. We followed all the advices, we volunteered and work for free and being exploited till we could not stand any more. My wife and I both took turn going back to school and spent the last dollar of savings into our last investment in a hope of landing a white collar job. We are not looking for jobs that pay 100K, all we need is a decent white collar job that we do not have to hide our qualifications and experience back home, a job that feed our family and do not leave our back so painful we cannot sleep at night. Over 3 years since we are here, all we have are surviving jobs, we shoved snow, cut grass, cleaned toilet, watched over shops at night in dangerous areas, yet we are not able to save any money and we spent all our hard earned money we got before we came to Canada. We want our parents here to help taking care of the kids while we upgrade ourselves but the insurance cost of super visa is forbidden barrier and it is almost impossible to sponsor them to Canada, even the 5000 lucky people submitting application on the 1st day of the year when application is opened and earn tons of $$ to meet the income requirements need to wait over 10 years till the time their parent can come to Canada as PR.

The market here is simply too small and there is absolutely no white collar job for immigrants unless you already have family or friends who are in the position of hiring you. People here are nice but this is simply too small an economy to absorb the huge number of skilled immigrants each year. Canada has been admitting a quarter of million skilled workers every year over the past decades and if you look at the number of jobs created last year, you know where those people will end up to. Canada now is not like Canada in the 1980s and 1990s, the number of jobs created each year barely match the number of local graduates and schools here increase the intake year by year because international students is a huge source of their revenue. I am totally shocked at why the government keep adding too many skilled immigrants to the country every year despite the brutal reality and hardship that these immigrants have to go to. This is clearly inhumane and misleading. Many families from other countries are leaving everything behind in the false hope of a better life in Canada just to realize that there is nothing for them here and they have to clean toilet, wash dishes or drive taxi. No matter if you have PhD or are managers back home, there is nothing for you here to use your skills and knowledge.

If the purpose is to recruit foreign skilled workers to do labourer job then what about Canadian youth who are jobless and desperate to earn some money to pay back their tuition loan? I totally do not understand the system, it is completely a scam and it is brutal. Just last week I was laid off from my security guard job, turned out that it was filled by another young immigrant. I am pretty sure he get less than what I earned which is just slightly above the minimum wage for a night shift job. And now the winter is brutal, and our family is turning to meagre social assistant and EI that is hardly enough to put foot on the table. We do not know what to do, it is harsh here. We want to go back, but the thought of being looked at like a "loser" make us feel so painful. Everyday I look at the snow, I just feel like we made the worst decision to leave everything behind and we are paying for that decision.
This is a false and deliberately misleading story.

physio

Apr 21, 2012
This is true.. Singalingali i hope you and your family would not experience such hardship, God bless u booth

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
physio said:
This is true.. Singalingali i hope you and your family would not experience such hardship, God bless u booth
Thanks, but I have applied for whitecollar jobs from outside Canada and received positive replies only for my my prospective employers to backpedal because of the LMIA involved. It seems so easy to get a job.
Secondly I wouldn't move my entire family at once. It is better to go alone first, settle down and then think of bringing your family over.

physio

Apr 21, 2012
I think we should be open to listen to those people who experienced it firsthand than to totally reject it...good luck bro hope you land here sooner

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
physio said:
I think we should be open to listen to those people who experienced it firsthand than to totally reject it...good luck bro hope you land here sooner
Thanks