+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brother thinks I am purposely not sponsoring him to immigrate to Canada, out of spite but I am not eligible, how do I convince him?

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
I am a Canadian citizen. My brother who is older than 22 thinks I can somehow sponsor him to immigrate to Canada. No matter how many times I told them it is not possible as you don't qualify, someone fed him misinformation that if your sister decides she can help you out, she absolutely can, find a way. Apparently two other people and distant relatives told him yes your sister can absolutely change your life! all she had to do is, sponsor you! These people claim they know someone who knew someone that invited all their family members including their adult children. I sent him links underlining everything, even the self eligibility tests etc but he made up his mind that I am for some reason stopping him from entering Canada in this route.

The information and the wordings in IRCC website is also not helping, one has to pay close attention to everything. I am at a loss on how to convince my brother that I wish I could, but I really can't, and I just hope that he'd believe me.

Any one had similar experience and how you made them understand that it is not possible?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen. My brother who is older than 22 thinks I can somehow sponsor him to immigrate to Canada. No matter how many times I told them it is not possible as you don't qualify, someone fed him misinformation that if your sister decides she can help you out, she absolutely can, find a way. Apparently two other people and distant relatives told him yes your sister can absolutely change your life! all she had to do is, sponsor you! These people claim they know someone who knew someone that invited all their family members including their adult children. I sent him links underlining everything, even the self eligibility tests etc but he made up his mind that I am for some reason stopping him from entering Canada in this route.

The information and the wordings in IRCC website is also not helping, one has to pay close attention to everything. I am at a loss on how to convince my brother that I wish I could, but I really can't, and I just hope that he'd believe me.

Any one had similar experience and how you made them understand that it is not possible?
Are your parents still living? Is he your full brother?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

You can only sponsor relatives like a brother, sister, aunt or uncle in very specific situations.

You can’t sponsor your brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild if:

• one of their parents is still alive
  • no one knows where their parents are
  • their parents abandoned them
  • someone else other than their parents is taking care of them while one or both their parents are alive
  • their parent is in jail or otherwise detained
Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act
So...that seems to clearly indicate that unless he is an orphan, you cannot sponsor him.

Good luck! LOL!

Reactions: minecraftwonderness

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Both my parents are alive and I sponsored them via parents grandparents and they are currently living in Canada as PRs. So I told him that too. Lol

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Both my parents are alive and I sponsored them via parents grandparents and they are currently living in Canada as PRs. So I told him that too. Lol
Stop messing about with him. Provide him the website address, tell him those are all the programs, and if he can find one for which sponsorship would work, then you'll consider trying.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

And warn him: most of them require him to apply and qualify for eligiblity on his own. He'll get a few extra points for having relatives in Canada. And obviously warn: you can try to help, but you're not going to get involved in any dodgy schemes or fake information or whatever. (Just tell him you could get in legal and immigration trouble and you're not going to risk that).

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Hi, why don't you send him the link to this forum.

He can ask the question himself, but tell him to wear a helmet for the torrid responses detailing Canada's prohibition on adult siblings and only severely limited access for parents & grandparents.

My memory of why these things ended was because a significant percentage of incoming immigrants from this stream threw futons down on Canada's social safety nets. Family reunification is great until they're gnawing on the wiring.

Good luck

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Hi, why don't you send him the link to this forum.

He can ask the question himself, but tell him to wear a helmet for the torrid responses detailing Canada's prohibition on adult siblings and only severely limited access for parents & grandparents.

My memory of why these things ended was because a significant percentage of incoming immigrants from this stream threw futons down on Canada's social safety nets. Family reunification is great until they're gnawing on the wiring.

Good luck

Thank you everyone! I might just do that, send the link to this thread. You should have listened to the pointlessly dramatic conversations I have been having with my brother and our relatives who really like him (I love him too) When I sent him the underlined, highlighted screenshots, they all teamed up saying where there is a will there is a way....Suddenly they are quoting Tony Robbins and others saying "if you really want to, you will always find a way". Like cmonnnnnn if you love your brother you will do this for him, like wtf!! Do you not understand that IRCC has certain eligibility criteria that one needs to meet?? I WANT TO, BUT THE LAW IS AGAINST THAT!!! It's not like I control who enters the border. When I get frustrated explaining this, it comes off as evil or something, then they guilt trip me that its okay. God will find a way for him, we love you no matter what with a sad quiet face! oh my god!!

Sorry about the rant! I will delete this post if it felt off topic-y

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you everyone! I might just do that, send the link to this thread. You should have listened to the pointlessly dramatic conversations I have been having with my brother and our relatives who really like him (I love him too) When I sent him the underlined, highlighted screenshots, they all teamed up saying where there is a will there is a way....Suddenly they are quoting Tony Robbins and others saying "if you really want to, you will always find a way". Like cmonnnnnn if you love your brother you will do this for him, like wtf!! Do you not understand that IRCC has certain eligibility criteria that one needs to meet?? I WANT TO, BUT THE LAW IS AGAINST THAT!!! It's not like I control who enters the border. When I get frustrated explaining this, it comes off as evil or something, then they guilt trip me that its okay. God will find a way for him, we love you no matter what with a sad quiet face! oh my god!!

I 100% agree with "where there's a will, there's a way".

For your brother, that way is through economic immigration. This is ultimately going to come down to how badly he wants it. If he wants it badly, then he needs to find a path through economic immigration on his own through his own education, work experience, language ability, etc. profile. If he doesn't have the "will" to qualify and be selected through economic immigration, plenty of others want it way worse than he does and are ready to put in the hard work. Ball is in his court.

You cannot sponsor him through family sponsorship. That is impossible.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

If he's that desperate to come, tell him to ante up and consult with a good immigration lawyer about the possibility of him being sponsored if he doesn't believe you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For your brother, that way is through economic immigration. This is ultimately going to come down to how badly he wants it. If he wants it badly, then he needs to find a path through economic immigration on his own through his own education, work experience, language ability, etc. profile. If he doesn't have the "will" to qualify and be selected through economic immigration, plenty of others want it way worse than he does and are ready to put in the hard work. Ball is in his court.
Well said.

Reactions: vancityrichard

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Why do people have such a hard time to tell people just a no ? Like it’s a no .
My brother asked me to lend him a large sum of money otherwise his house would be repossessed. It’s a no
Countless times on here people have posted the same situation about family members pressuring them . It’s a no .
Tell your brother to grow a pair and figure it out on there own . It’s called adulting

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Why do people have such a hard time to tell people just a no ? Like it’s a no .
My brother asked me to lend him a large sum of money otherwise his house would be repossessed. It’s a no
Countless times on here people have posted the same situation about family members pressuring them . It’s a no .
Tell your brother to grow a pair and figure it out on there own . It’s called adulting

Lol its not that easy. Especially if your family is Indian. Everything is about family. All the money I make is not my money, its OUR money. Very very family oriented. I have no problem telling no to friends though, but I get what you are saying, you had to be here to relate. I will be shunned forever, like I ran over a puppy or something

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Lol its not that easy. Especially if your family is Indian. Everything is about family. All the money I make is not my money, its OUR money. Very very family oriented. I have no problem telling no to friends though, but I get what you are saying, you had to be here to relate. I will be shunned forever, like I ran over a puppy or something
a VERY dark joke. Tell him that when your parents die, your spouse and children all die (or divorce) and all the uncles and aunites die.
Then you may be qualified as a lonely Canadian and can sponsor him.

For real, he should work/study to get enough points to immigrate on his own.