+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brother student visa denied impact in my visa process?

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello all,

My brother and I were planning to study in Canada. We both were approved and received the LOA of the institutions (he 2 years course and I 1 year course).

My brother applied first but he was denied because his profile and income was not enough (he is a freelancer, is older and doesn't have a lot of savings - we understood the reason of refuse). However my case is different, I have a good profile of work and I have the money for the course. Now he is planning to reapply again but we have some doubts:

1 - his "refused status" will impact my visa application? Can I be also refused?

2 - can we apply at the same time? Our cases are totally different, he needs more time to apply again and I already have everything set up. Do I need to wait for him to pass to apply?

If I wait until he get the student visa approved I would need to wait almost a year to start my studies. There is any way that I can continue my process without depending of his visa approval?

Or for the immigration its all connected?

Thank you in advance

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but based on the info you have posted this would be my view

1) no your brothers application is your brothers not yours so that would not be a reason for yours to be refused.

2)as per (1) your brothers application is his and your application is yours and would be assessed accordingly, independently. Submit at same time or different time makes no difference.

Maybe share why you think your applications would be dependant on each other

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello Bs65,

Thank you very much! for your return. See below my main concerns

1 - My brother was rejected because he didn't have enough evidences to prove to VO that he'll come back to our country (Brazil). Our concern is If I apply now the VO could think that we are trying to use another person, with a "better" profile, to enter Canada and then bring the whole family to the country.

2 - Also the VO could question why my brother couldn't present enough funds to come to Canada but his sister now have enough money to come. Why their cases are different? In this case I would explain in my Letter of Explanation that I was able to save a little bit more and have a more constant professional record and that would come back to my country to continue my professional career. But I am not sure If the VO will think this will be enough.

3 - If we applied at the same time we would present the same "financial sponsor" (our uncle - he would be the only person to fund us). Although I have enough money for my 1 year course + living expenses I think It would be important to have a sponsor just in case and show to VO that I have a backup. Our concern is that the VO would not be convinced that ONE uncle will able to sponsor both of us.

4 - One agent said to us that my brother should apply again and after he gets the student visa approval I could start my application but we think this option could take a lot of time because we don't know If he'll be certainly be accepted.

5 - Also I don't know If I should mention that my brother was denied before and explain that his case was different from mine.