+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brother applying along parents for Visitors Visa?

colcol

May 27, 2019
Hi, Im PR, living in Ontario. We want visitor's visas for my parents and my brother so they can come on holiday but we are not sure who should be the main applicant or even if we can have them all in the same application.

Quick info on them
Brother, 37yo, Employee fulltime, 4years on current Job, 15 years in the one before. lives in Colombia, single. No intention of prolonging his stay here.
Father, 72yo, Retired with pension. lives in Colombia. Married to my mother
Mother, 67 yo, Economically dependent on my father, lives in Colombia. Married to my father.

Should we apply having:
A) My Brother as main applicant, includes parents as accompanying family members.
B) My Father as main applicant, includes my mother and my brother as accompanying family members.

My doubt comes to this definition on the IRCC page:
Family member definitions
Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

By that logic, my brother could not be main applicant and include my parents, since parents don´t appear in that definition? neither could be the main applicant be my father, since non-dependent children don´t appear in that definition? Would that mean that we should go for two separate applications? that is one for mom+pop and one for my brother alone?

Thank you for your input. hopefully if you already have experience in a similar enough scenario, you can shed some light on ours :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the answer. May I ask, is your answer based on personal experience or just applying logic to the ircc definition?
Your brother is too old and not a dependent. He cannot be included in your parents' application. He has to apply on his own. That is the only option.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Should we apply having:
A) My Brother as main applicant, includes parents as accompanying family members.
B) My Father as main applicant, includes my mother and my brother as accompanying family members.
So just to make sure it's clear, both of the above are wrong / not possible. Your brother is not your parents' dependent and your parents are not your brother's dependents per IRCC definitions. So it must be two separate applications.

One application = your parents with one of your parents being the primary applicant and the other being accompanying
Other application = just your brother

colcol

May 27, 2019
So just to make sure it's clear, both of the above are wrong / not possible. Your brother is not your parents' dependent and your parents are not your brother's dependents per IRCC definitions. So it must be two separate applications.

One application = your parents with one of your parents being the primary applicant and the other being accompanying
Yeah, its clear. That was my conclusion, but wanted to see if anyone had managed to do it all in one application package. Thanks.

colcol

May 27, 2019

That makes me curious... If an applicant has their parents economically dependent on him/her, would that be a single application? How could that be proven?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That makes me curious... If the parents were both economically dependent on the brother (not the case here but lets assume for the sake of argument), would that be a single application? How could that be proven?
It doesn't matter. It's still two applications.

Reactions: canuck78 and colcol