+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Transit Visa

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
As from the available information, it seems I won't need Transit Visa at London while going (exempt due to Valid Canada Visa), will i need one for Dublin while going and London (since i won't have PR Card by then). Please help.
The UK and Ireland have established the so-called Common Travel Area, meaning there are no border checks between the UK and the Republic of Ireland and the UK Border Force will assess your eligibility to enter this area. This may complicate things in your case as even though you are technically "transiting" in the UK, you might have to be landed in Ireland; which would mean you need a visitor visa. Indian nationals do not require or qualify for Transit Visas in Ireland. On the other hand, you do only have a short connection so you won't be encountering Irish Border controls which could still qualify you as a transfer passenger. It would all depend on what the border guard in the UK establishes.

You should check with the airline, a travel agent, or the Irish and British High commission for a more definitive answer. Please do report back as I am curious to find out what the requirement is.

Reactions: AdamzQue

jesse298

Jun 24, 2019
The UK and Ireland have established the so-called Common Travel Area, meaning there are no border checks between the UK and the Republic of Ireland and the UK Border Force will assess your eligibility to enter this area. This may complicate things in your case as even though you are technically "transiting" in the UK, you might have to be landed in Ireland; which would mean you need a visitor visa. Indian nationals do not require or qualify for Transit Visas in Ireland. On the other hand, you do only have a short connection so you won't be encountering Irish Border controls which could still qualify you as a transfer passenger. It would all depend on what the border guard in the UK establishes.

You should check with the airline, a travel agent, or the Irish and British High commission for a more definitive answer. Please do report back as I am curious to find out what the requirement is.
I didn't need transit visa anywhere. Got TWOV issued at UK and nothing was asked for in Ireland. Thanks

prathap363

Dec 18, 2017
Hi, I need help on understanding transit visa requirement.

I am doing a soft landing in Canada and returning back to India in a week.

My flight from Mumbai to Toronto is via London Heathrow (3.25 hrs layover) and Dublin (1 hour layover).
For the Return Journey, it is Toronto to Mumbai via London Heathrow (again 3.25 Hours layover).

Do i need transit visa for any leg of this journey. I am not leaving London/Dublin airports.

As from the available information, it seems I won't need Transit Visa at London while going (exempt due to Valid Canada Visa), will i need one for Dublin while going and London (since i won't have PR Card by then). Please help.

@jesse298 did they ask for transit visa for return journey???

Megha@2012

Oct 22, 2019
Hi All,
I am travelling to canada by Oman airways for soft landing and will be back to India after a week.I will be in Toronto for only 1 week , initiate the process for PR card and will come back.My brother stays in Toronto so he will receive my PR card.So i will not have mu PR card
MY question is as I have a stop over in London and i have to re checking my luggage and change my terminal.
Do I need a transit visa for UK.
For going to canada , I have a valid visa so i dont need Transit visa as per UK website.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/yes
But while returning i dont have visa for canada , as it is a single entry visa....In this case do i need transit visa(in this case also i have to change terminal)
Pls advice , if some one has been through this experiance.
This is what i got from UK gov website

• you’re travelling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
  • you have a residence permit issued by Canada issued after 28 June 2002

maheshmit

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018
I didn't need transit visa anywhere. Got TWOV issued at UK and nothing was asked for in Ireland. Thanks
Hi @jesse298, I'm also planning to travel to Toronto via British Airways with a layover at London for both onward and return journeys. I was especially concerned about transit visa requirement for the return leg of the trip since the single entry Canadian visa will no longer be valid. Glad to know that you did not need a transit visa.

Would be helpful if you can provide more details about your experience - What did you do to get the TWOV? Did you qualify or TWOV under any other criteria apart from having a Canadian visa (like if you have a valid US visa etc).

Your response would be extremely helpful!

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Hi @jesse298, I'm also planning to travel to Toronto via British Airways with a layover at London for both onward and return journeys. I was especially concerned about transit visa requirement for the return leg of the trip since the single entry Canadian visa will no longer be valid. Glad to know that you did not need a transit visa.

Would be helpful if you can provide more details about your experience - What did you do to get the TWOV? Did you qualify or TWOV under any other criteria apart from having a Canadian visa (like if you have a valid US visa etc).

You can show/use your landing papers as proof that you are PR of Canada.

jesse298

Jun 24, 2019

Hi, i didn't have US visa and I didn't do anything specifically for getting TWOV. I did have a UK transit Visa (i got it just to be on safer side), but no body bothered checking that. At London, they just checked my Canada visa, asked me my purpose of visit to Canada, i explained and they stamped a TWOV on my passport and let me go ahead. In my case, my flight was from via UK to Dublin and then to Toronto, so they were a little unsure whether they should consider Dublin as my destination or Toronto. But then they discussed internally and agreed that i qualify for TWOV since Canada visa is valid, regardless of the other countries, i am hopping. For return, it was Toronto to Mumbai via London, nobody asked anything at London. Hope this helps.

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
13 Apr 2015.... 3rd line 21 Apr 2015
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
10 June 2015. DM next day
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
Hi All,
I am travelling to canada by Oman airways for soft landing and will be back to India after a week.I will be in Toronto for only 1 week , initiate the process for PR card and will come back.My brother stays in Toronto so he will receive my PR card.So i will not have mu PR card
MY question is as I have a stop over in London and i have to re checking my luggage and change my terminal.
Do I need a transit visa for UK.
For going to canada , I have a valid visa so i dont need Transit visa as per UK website.
But while returning i dont have visa for canada , as it is a single entry visa....In this case do i need transit visa(in this case also i have to change terminal)
Pls advice , if some one has been through this experiance.
This is what i got from UK gov website

Hi friend, in a similar situation in onward to Canada. Did you manage to pass through Heathrow without issues?

tikkagroup

Oct 31, 2019
Hi @jesse298, can you please help me out here.....

I am in Canada and planning to travel from Toronto to India via London. and only have the IM-1 visa (one time visa to complete PR landing available on my Passport)

Question: Can I travel to India via UK without a transit visa?

jesse298

Jun 24, 2019
Hi @jesse298, can you please help me out here.....

I am in Canada and planning to travel from Toronto to India via London. and only have the IM-1 visa (one time visa to complete PR landing available on my Passport)

Question: Can I travel to India via UK without a transit visa?
Yeah, should be fine if you dont have to recheck-in your luggage or change airport

Feb 14, 2020
Dear Sirs, can you please confirm the statement that I’m a permanent resident of Canada and I can travel from Canada to Russia via London UK, WITHOUT transit visa and I can easily leave a transit zone for changing airports in London and leave country within 24 hours? Thank you in advance!