+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British company refuses to give me a letter of employment, what can I do?

Saeorl1

Dec 24, 2019
My other previous and current employers were happy to provide me with letters of employment. There's one company which refuses to do so, on the grounds of "company policy".
Is there anything I can do? This is the last document I need to go ahead with my invitation to apply for PR, I've come so far.. I'd hate to lose everything over a simple letter.
In the mean time, I've contacted the parent company and I'm reading up on British laws in the hopes the law can aid me.

Thanks in advance.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
My other previous and current employers were happy to provide me with letters of employment. There's one company which refuses to do so, on the grounds of "company policy".
Is there anything I can do? This is the last document I need to go ahead with my invitation to apply for PR, I've come so far.. I'd hate to lose everything over a simple letter.
In the mean time, I've contacted the parent company and I'm reading up on British laws in the hopes the law can aid me.

Thanks in advance.
Did you leave on good terms with the company?Not sure why certain companies refuse to provide letters of employment.

You will likely have to get a lawyer which is going to cost you who is going to have to use legal means to get the company to provide the letter of employment.

Saeorl1

Dec 24, 2019
Did you leave on good terms with the company?Not sure why certain companies refuse to provide letters of employment.

You will likely have to get a lawyer which is going to cost you who is going to have to use legal means to get the company to provide the letter of employment.
I left on good terms. It's nothing personal, just an odd company policy they have in place. I think I was able to convince the senior HR officer to provide the information for this one off, exceptional circumstance, waiting on a reply now.

MaplePandaUK

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
I had the same problem, the HR department just gave a rubbish generic letter without any of the info I needed. So I asked my old manager to do it who I am on good terms with.

Saeorl1

Dec 24, 2019
I had the same problem, the HR department just gave a rubbish generic letter without any of the info I needed. So I asked my old manager to do it who I am on good terms with.
I tried to reach out to my old manager, we were on great terms last time I checked. Good friends, we'd go for drinks and meals after work. He didn't reply, though. Maybe I'll ask my former manager who left a few months after hiring me. He was extremely nice to me too. Would that work? He no longer works at the company.