+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Columbia Driver's License

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
Hello,

I'm working in Vancouver. I did my post grad in Toronto, then i moved here for my job. I'm basically from India. when i checked for the details regarding Drivers license in BC, they are saying me to surrender my Indian Driving License to them, as we cannot have two licenses. So can anyone tell me, if i go to India will i be able to get my original License bacK?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saravanaz89 said:
will i be able to get my original License bacK?
No, you will have to make a request at ICBC and the original doc will mailed from Victoria!

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply, So is that, when i apply for BC license, that time i need to request them (ICBC) or when ?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saravanaz89 said:
Thanks for the reply, So is that, when i apply for BC license, that time i need to request them (ICBC) or when ?

Thanks
Not when you apply for the BC license (in fact, you will have to surrender your Indian License, so that they make sure you only have one driver license). But you can ask them when you can get your Indian license back.

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
I spoke with them, they said we will never get back the INDIAN license back. And when i asked, if i travel to india then how i will drive, then they are saying its not our concern.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saravanaz89 said:
I spoke with them, they said we will never get back the INDIAN license back. And when i asked, if i travel to india then how i will drive, then they are saying its not our concern.
You can do your research if you can drive in India using your BC License. Btw, couldn't you get a new license in India. Or you must have your original?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you plan to be in India for short stays or up to one year then you can drive if you have an International Driving Permit. You must apply for a permanent license after the IDP expires

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
Yes, im going to have a photo copy of it and use when i go there. May be i can tell them about this and re-apply again. But this policy in BC is little weird, i don't see anything like this in anyother provinces. anyways that's how it works. Else i will get my IDP. Anyways, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It's the same in all provinces. It is illegal to hold drivers licences from two or more jurisdictions in Canada. You have to surrender one of them and you aren't (technically) suppose to re-apply. Having said that, I hold a Canadian, Indonesian and Thai drivers license. Just don't show the officer all three if you get pulled over....that would be bad!!!!

Despite having reciprocal agreements for IDP in many countries, local authorities don't recognize them.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
saravanaz89 said:
Yes, im going to have a photo copy of it and use when i go there. May be i can tell them about this and re-apply again. But this policy in BC is little weird, i don't see anything like this in anyother provinces. anyways that's how it works. Else i will get my IDP. Anyways, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Cheers
Hi
Policy is same all across Canada. If you don't want to surrender your Indian Licence start from scratch. They are considering your driving experience based on your Indian license once you receive Class 5 = G licence. In case they are giving you only N (Novice Licence) = G2 despite showing Indian experience than rethink before surrendering

Good Luck
S.Badar

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, im going to have a photo copy of it and use when i go there.
One cannot drive in India with a photocopy of a license. An IDP is the best solution. Or maybe someone else can drive you when you're in India

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Hello,

I'm working in Vancouver. I did my post grad in Toronto, then i moved here for my job. I'm basically from India. when i checked for the details regarding Drivers license in BC, they are saying me to surrender my Indian Driving License to them, as we cannot have two licenses. So can anyone tell me, if i go to India will i be able to get my original License bacK?

Thanks
Were you able to apply for a replacement license in India?

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Just go to the RTO office and ask for a replacement. I did that.
Do you know if anyone tried that? I was wondering if Canadian MTO sends info to Indian RTO that this license has been surrendered or something like that, thus causing problems :/

AK-1997

Aug 18, 2019
Do you know if anyone tried that? I was wondering if Canadian MTO sends info to Indian RTO that this license has been surrendered or something like that, thus causing problems :/
I can't speak for Canada but it sure wasn't the case for the multiple countries I've had to trade my license in (US included). I doubt the Indian RTO keeps any record of anything to be honest...

Reactions: andygill11