+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British citizen - what options are open to me? Confused about "points"

farfar

Jun 30, 2011
Hello, I would like to move to Canada for at least a year. I am currently looking at applying for the WHP program but I'm wondering if I'm choosing the right program - are there better ones available to me?

I have a foundation degree in Psychology which is the equivalent of an "Associates Degree" in Canada. I was looking at a reply on a thread which mentioned something about points. The thread starter said they want to move from Britain to Canada and have a Higher National Diploma, and someone replied saying "Surely you could claim points with a HND, which is technically two years into a Degree course. I am sure you could claim for Diploma. Consequently, would you not be able to make up the points if you have a close relative in Canada?" When they say points, what are they referring to, exactly? And can I claim points with my foundation degree?

By the way, I don't have a trade..

henrysmith78

Jun 28, 2011
Canadian immigration rules often use points to determine eligibility for certain immigration programs. For example under the Federal Skilled Worker Program an applicant requires 67 points in order to be eligible for the program.

If you are looking just to work for a period of one year, and have not desire to gain Permanent Resident status the Working Holiday Program is probably best for you.

if you are looking to stay in Canada for an extended period of time and perhaps obtain Permanent Resident status I would recommend finding some online immigration assessments to see what program suits you best.

Start by just googling Canadian immigration assessment 24 hours response (if you want a quick response)