+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Citizen-Visitor VISA,no expiry date on passport

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
To anyone who can help,

I came out to Canada in late December to visit long term boyfriend/friends. At Immigration they asked me all the usual questions etc. and (red) stamped my passport but only with my date of entry...for some reason, I thought they were to give the date of expiry too? How long am I legally therefore allowed to be in Canada for as a tourist? I had a return flight booked for the 23rd April but I am likely (desperately hoping) to extend my stay beyond that date and seem to be unable to find this information/connect with anyone who knows. Is it possible for me to cross the border into America to get my passport re-stamped? Is it also legal to work voluntarily whilst on a visitor's visa?

Please help!

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
6 Months if there is no hand written date and if you were not issued a visitor record

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
Thank you; I think I had a visitor card but it was taken from me at the airport. I estimated my stay at 120 days based on my return flight, so if they have granted that length of stay how would I know/find out/extend it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The card that was taken away from you at the airport was a customs card - not a visitor card (this is something that is given to you). So you were allowed in for six months.

Information on how to extend your visit is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp#extend

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add on the volunteering front...

You have to be careful. You are only allowed to volunteer for a position that would normally be an unpaid position. Volunteering in a role that would normally be paid (e.g. helping out for free in a family member's shop) is illegal. If in doubt, call CIC and ask.

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
Thank you; very useful.

No no, voluntary work would be strictly charitable/wouldn't involve any handling of money/stipends or reimbursed expenses so I presume I would be OK on that front, but I will definitely check before embarking on anything.

Thanks again.

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
Oh-further to that, based on my visitor visa expiry date now presumably being in late June, is it recommended to apply for extensions nearer to the time or as early as possible?

Additionally, as I am financially reliant on my partner here, is it the case that he would need to be appointed as my representative for the sake of proof of means of financial support?

Sorry to sound so dense, I just like to be crystal clear (understandably)!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
He would have to execute a statement of undertaking (the notary will know what to put on the statement). As long as your application for extension is received by CPC-Vegreville on or before your current status expires, you'd be on implied status till you receive a response from them, a Visitor Record or letter of refusal.

Calypso said:
Oh-further to that, based on my visitor visa expiry date now presumably being in late June, is it recommended to apply for extensions nearer to the time or as early as possible?

Additionally, as I am financially reliant on my partner here, is it the case that he would need to be appointed as my representative for the sake of proof of means of financial support?

Sorry to sound so dense, I just like to be crystal clear (understandably)!

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
Calypso,

I am from the UK and about to head over to Canada to visit my long term boyfriend, i intend to enter on a visitor visa with the hope of extending. I hope you don't mind me asking, but would you be willing to share your experience of crossing the border. E.g how did you tackle the questions regarding your length of stay?

I intend to arrive with a return flight (to demonstrate my intent to leave) and I'm not sure whether to mention my boyfriend, or just say that i am 'traveling'.

Where are you based in Canada?

I also intend to take up voluntary roles, e.g support the red cross while i am there.

Any advice you can offer would be great :)

Thanks

Calypso said:
To anyone who can help,

I came out to Canada in late December to visit long term boyfriend/friends. At Immigration they asked me all the usual questions etc. and (red) stamped my passport but only with my date of entry...for some reason, I thought they were to give the date of expiry too? How long am I legally therefore allowed to be in Canada for as a tourist? I had a return flight booked for the 23rd April but I am likely (desperately hoping) to extend my stay beyond that date and seem to be unable to find this information/connect with anyone who knows. Is it possible for me to cross the border into America to get my passport re-stamped? Is it also legal to work voluntarily whilst on a visitor's visa?

Please help!

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
Hi there,

Essentially there should be no problems at the border if you are a visitor/British passport holder. The questions they will ask you are standard/straightforward and you should answer them honestly... It depends how long you indicate you are going to stay for as to whether they might quiz you further. As long as you aren't intending to work then you should be fine. I didn't mention a boyfriend specifically just as I thought the Immigration Officer could do without the sentimental embellishment but would have done if pressed for more information, I suppose! I said I was visiting friends/travelling. If you're planning to stay for a longer term stint etc. might be worth your time looking into other VISA options before you come out?

Otherwise, I am far from expert in these matters!

Hope that is of (some) use!

C