+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British citizen in Canada

trynasponsor

Sep 10, 2018
My wife's a British citizen and I'm sponsoring her. She is in Canada and entered visa exempt. She was not given anything at the airport nor was there a stamp on her passport at entry. There's nothing to say when she should leave. The border guard basically just asked us if we knew how long she was allowed to stay and we said 6 months.

Now, I'm wondering if she has to leave while her PR application is in process. If she does have to leave, would she be able to return within a few weeks and have the 6 months renewed or would she have to stay out for longer?

Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My wife's a British citizen and I'm sponsoring her. She is in Canada and entered visa exempt. She was not given anything at the airport nor was there a stamp on her passport at entry. There's nothing to say when she should leave. The border guard basically just asked us if we knew how long she was allowed to stay and we said 6 months.
She can stay for up to 6 months.

Now, I'm wondering if she has to leave while her PR application is in process. If she does have to leave, would she be able to return within a few weeks and have the 6 months renewed or would she have to stay out for longer?
She can apply to extend her stay about one month before her current visitor status expires.

Did you submit an inland PR application?

trynasponsor

Sep 10, 2018
There's some risk that an inland PR applicant may not be allowed to re-enter. It's advisable not to leave the country while the PR application is being processed
So should she stay here in Canada then. I would have to apply for an extension. Is an explanation required for requesting an extension or not? And if so, is it advisable to mention the PR application as part of the reason for the extension? Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So should she stay here in Canada then. I would have to apply for an extension. Is an explanation required for requesting an extension or not? And if so, is it advisable to mention the PR application as part of the reason for the extension? Thanks.
Did you include an OWP app with the inland PR app?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Visitor status expires in March. To be honest, I still haven't mailed the application in yet.
If she hasn't recieved the OWP by March, she can apply for a visitor extension just in case the OWP/PR app is returned after her current visitor status expires.

If you get the inland app in soon, she will likely have the OWP before her status expires in March.

Reactions: Bryanna

trynasponsor

Sep 10, 2018
If she hasn't recieved the OWP by March, she can apply for a visitor extension just in case the OWP/PR app is returned after her current visitor status expires.

If you get the inland app in soon, she will likely have the OWP before her status expires in March.
Thanks.

On another note, I am not able to print IMM 5710. It validates and everything, but the PRINT option is disabled in Acrobat. Am I doing something wrong?