+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringings Pets to Canada

MelindaL.

Jan 3, 2016
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
20-02-2016
I will be entering Canada next year, hopefully through the express entry program.
I have friends who are citizens of Canada.
I'm wondering, can I take my cat into Canada to live with my friends before I move?
At the time I bring the cat, I will not have any immigration paperwork started, just going to visit.
Everything I have read talks about needing rabies records and a $35 fee, but I'm not sure if there are stipulations on leaving my cat in Canada when I will not be staying.

Anyone know anything about this?
I appreciate any help!

Realben

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
25-04-2016 (sch. A provided 29-04)
AOR Received.
15-03-2016
Med's Done....
30-03-2016 (passed)
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Visa exempt
MelindaL. said:
I will be entering Canada next year, hopefully through the express entry program.
I'm wondering, can I take my cat into Canada to live with my friends before I move?
At the time I bring the cat, I will not have any immigration paperwork started, just going to visit.
Everything I have read talks about needing rabies records and a $35 fee, but I'm not sure if there are stipulations on leaving my cat in Canada when I will not be staying.

I appreciate any help!
I came to Canada in 2014 as a visitor (for my hiring interview) with my dog and I didn't have any problem at the airport.
I am from France where we have a European passport for pets in which all the vaccinations and vet visits are reported.
As long as you keep your cat vaccinated (check what is mandatory in Canada for a cat) you should be ok.
The border officers DO check the pet's documentation in airports.
I crossed the border again with my dog in 2015 at the airport again: same drill.
I crossed it again in 2016 with my car, coming back from a trip in Montana (land border): the officer didn't even bother checking my dog's passport...
I never paid a fee.

I hope it helps...

Realben

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
25-04-2016 (sch. A provided 29-04)
AOR Received.
15-03-2016
Med's Done....
30-03-2016 (passed)
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Visa exempt
DOD said:
Not sure if you can leave your cat behind when you are entering the country on visitor status. They make a note of it in Airport Customs when you land. You might get some additional info here http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/cats/eng/1331904105485/1331904720313
I'm really not sure they write in your file that you entered the country with a pet.
They make a note on the card you hand them out of the plane as a heads up for the luggage checking guys to pay attention to your pet's documentation. But I'm pretty sure there's no trace of it in your file. To be confirmed though.

If they ask why you don't have your cat with you, just say the animal died ;D

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
MelindaL. said:

I appreciate any help!
If you can provide a couple of details, like where you are coming from, and if you're planning to enter Canada by road or air...

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
I came with my cat 4 years ago, and since then I left Canada few times by plane, leaving my cat here in Canada. I have never been asked anything about it.
I'm sure you'll be able to leave Canada without your cat with no problem at all.

By the way, it's great to bring your cat with you ! :)

MelindaL.

Jan 3, 2016
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
20-02-2016
jes_ON said:
If you can provide a couple of details, like where you are coming from, and if you're planning to enter Canada by road or air...
I will be flying into Detroit, Mi airport and driving over the bridge to get into Ontario.