+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing your dog from the UK to Canada.

wings149

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
hi Guys,

We will be making our move to Canada in June and I am trying to find out information about bringing my Labrador with me. I have contacted Air pets and they seem to be excellent. I obtained a quote which seemed really high and noticed as an 'Additional Service' they are charging £680 for Canadian Clearance. From what I have read, the clearance process is fairly simple if you have the Health Certificate and proof of the rabies vaccine.

Has anyone done this and if so how? With the cost of everything else, if I can save £680 then that would be great. If it could compromise his entry then it's a charge worth paying to avoid issues.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi Guys,

We will be making our move to Canada in June and I am trying to find out information about bringing my Labrador with me. I have contacted Air pets and they seem to be excellent. I obtained a quote which seemed really high and noticed as an 'Additional Service' they are charging £680 for Canadian Clearance. From what I have read, the clearance process is fairly simple if you have the Health Certificate and proof of the rabies vaccine.

Has anyone done this and if so how? With the cost of everything else, if I can save £680 then that would be great. If it could compromise his entry then it's a charge worth paying to avoid issues.

Thanks
This thread below is pretty old and you can search the forum for more:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/bringing-a-dog-to-canada.254705/#post-3787669

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
hi Guys,

Thanks
Seems excessive. Brought a cat over from Asia and apart from airline fees and a very minimal export fee from a government agency, only paid $16 for the inspection fee at the airport.

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
My sister-in-law did this with her dog in August 2021, UK to Canada.

You don't need an external provider, you can book this service directly with the airline. She used Air Canada. The fees and procedures are shown on their website. You essentially book your flight tickets, call up the call centre and add the dog. They will take payment then.

She got an inspection of her dog at a vet in UK within 5 days of travel, and obviously all the vaccination paperwork needed to be current.

Checked the dog in as "excess baggage" at Heathrow airport. You will pick up the dog at baggage claim at the Canadian airport. You then pay a nominal fee at customs and that's it. The whole process was super simple. Note this is only applicable flying to Canada. If you were bringing dog back to UK it is a whole other story.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Just to add as well in case it's not obvious, but you will have to provide your own crate for the dog if you go the DIY route. Still will end up much cheaper than the pet transport service. But it's really up to you if you prefer to pay the extra for the peace of mind. Just so much cheaper if you DIY.

Reactions: PabloSektman