+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing spouse along

ashvanth48

Star Member
May 8, 2014
I got an offer just last week from Ryerson university (Toronto)for Masters program . I have just begun my loan process and heard that it would take a month atleast to complete.

- With just 2 months left after that, is it possible to get both 'study permit' for me and 'open work permit' for my wife?
- I heard that the possiblility of my wife getting open work permit is more if we both apply together
- But the CIC website says that the Study permit processing in my location would take 3 weeks whereas the open work permit would take 4 months
- If we apply together will we receive the decisions together? If "yes " will it then take 4 months for me as well??
- Or is it possible to take my wife along with me through visitor visa and apply for 'open work permit' from Canada

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it would be a good decision to apply together and your study permit would come within its due time

or even stronger case would be to apply for your study permit first.

once its granted u apply for an open work permit.

Ashroop

Star Member
May 31, 2014
propain said:
it would be a good decision to apply together and your study permit would come within its due time

Hi Propain,

In this case, is the person (applying for study permit) expected to mention dependant's name in the application form, even though the dependant will be applying later?

ashvanth48

Star Member
May 8, 2014
propain said:

So you mean to say even if we apply together I would still get my study permit in time i.e within 3 weeks and she would get the open work permit anytime within 4 months

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

ashvanth48 said:
I got an offer just last week from Ryerson university (Toronto)for Masters program . I have just begun my loan process and heard that it would take a month atleast to complete.

- With just 2 months left after that, is it possible to get both 'study permit' for me and 'open work permit' for my wife?
- I heard that the possiblility of my wife getting open work permit is more if we both apply together
- But the CIC website says that the Study permit processing in my location would take 3 weeks whereas the open work permit would take 4 months
- If we apply together will we receive the decisions together? If "yes " will it then take 4 months for me as well??
- Or is it possible to take my wife along with me through visitor visa and apply for 'open work permit' from Canada

You do not apply together in one application, you send separate applications but in one envelope.

ashvanth48

Star Member
May 8, 2014
J5M said:
Hi,

You do not apply together in one application, you send separate applications but in one envelope.

Ya i got that it is two separate applications. So does it mean i would get my study permit before she gets her work permit as per the processing time?

hfaraz

May 4, 2014
I applied for my study permit and my husband's open work permit at the same time. I have received my visa while my husband's visa is still in process. Hope that answers your question.

ashvanth48

Star Member
May 8, 2014
hfaraz said:
I applied for my study permit and my husband's open work permit at the same time. I have received my visa while my husband's visa is still in process. Hope that answers your question.
Thanks a lot :D