+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing sponsored parents at landing

vkak

Aug 24, 2013
Can we bring my grandmother who is 75 years old when we first enter Canada? We received PR status through SINP.
We cant leave her behind since she has no one to take care of her here and I understand that
they wont receive sponsorship applications until Jan 2 2014.
She can move to Russia and live with other family members for a few months but it's not something we want to do.
I read about the super visa, can we do it from inside Canada? We have more money than the minimum required for five people.
She can go back to Russia every 2 years since she has citizenship, a place to stay and pension payments there.
Can we bring her at landing, buy here medical insurance and start applied the application for her?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does your grandmother hold a visa exempt passport? If so, then she can try coming for a visit to Canada at the same time as you land. However it must be clear that she is coming to Canada as a visitor only and has no plans to remain in Canada long term (she should have a return ticket). If immigration officials suspect she has plans to remain in Canada long term, there is always a chance she could be turned away at the border and sent home. If your grandmother does not hold a visa exempt passport, then she will need a visitor visa in order to come and visit Canada when you land. Overall, I think it's very risky bringing your grandmother with you when you land as a visitor. I think there is certainly a chance immigration may feel she is coming to Canada to stay long term and they might not let her into Canada. If you decide to go ahead as planned, then you will have to have a back up plan in place in case your grandmother is turned away from Canada.

The super visa application will have to be submitted to your grandmother's home country - not to a Canadian office. As part of the super visa application, your grandmother will have to prove that she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. If she is already in Canada when you submit the super visa application, I think it will be extremely difficult to show strong ties and there will be a high chance of refusal. It would be far better if she was in her home country when you apply for the super visa. In addition to passing a medical, she will have to demonstrate strong ties to her home country through things such as property ownership in her home country, assets in her home country, etc. Note that you won't be able to apply for the super visa until someone in your family has a job in Canada where they are making enough money to meet the income requirement.

vkak

Aug 24, 2013
She has no property, here in Israel she gets free housing from the state and in Russia she can live with one of her daughters.
Is it going to be a problem when applying for a super visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - this could be a problem (or maybe not - hard to say - it will depend on her overall profile). Here's what the visa officer will look at when reviewing her application:

Visa officers consider several factors before deciding if a person is admissible. The person must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of the visit. Among the things that could be considered are:

•the person’s ties to the home country;
•the purpose of the visit;
•the person’s family and financial situation;
•the overall economic and political stability of the home country; and
•an invitation from a Canadian host.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-who.asp