+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing sister in Law to Canada on visitor visa

Simondial

Nov 19, 2012
Hi,

My wife and I are Canadian PR's and my wife is currently off work on Maternity leave for one year.
We were hoping to bring my wife's sister over to help care for the kids when my wife goes back to work in September.
My wife's sister is currently in her home country of Guinea in Africa and does not have much education.
Ideally she would come here for two or three years and then go back home.
I am wondering if the a visitor visa is the best avenue for us and if so if we can renew it without leaving the country for said period of time.

Thank You.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My wife and I are Canadian PR's and my wife is currently off work on Maternity leave for one year.
We were hoping to bring my wife's sister over to help care for the kids when my wife goes back to work in September.
My wife's sister is currently in her home country of Guinea in Africa and does not have much education.
Ideally she would come here for two or three years and then go back home.
I am wondering if the a visitor visa is the best avenue for us and if so if we can renew it without leaving the country for said period of time.

Thank You.
You would need to hire her and she would need to get a visa through the caregiver program. If she was able to get a TRV she would be working illegally caring for your children and you would be employing an illegal worker. In general it is quite difficult to get a TRV from Guinea. She would need to show strong ties to Guinea like a good job, property, dependent family members, etc. as evidence that she'd return home plus her own savings that she could show would support her travels. Even with a TRV getting a TRV renewed for over 6 months without a good reason would be difficult because there would be concerns that she may work illegally.

Simondial

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for your response.
I think the caregiver route is not an option as she does not have any education or formal work experience in this field.
So from what I can tell I think the TRV is our only route.
She would be able to provide proof of property and dependents and I would be able to provide proof of funds to support her for her stay here.
Do you think we are wasting our time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response.
I think the caregiver route is not an option as she does not have any education or formal work experience in this field.
So from what I can tell I think the TRV is our only route.
She would be able to provide proof of property and dependents and I would be able to provide proof of funds to support her for her stay here.
Do you think we are wasting our time?
Taking care of your children cannot be her reason for visiting. That will be classified as working without authorization.

She can certain apply for a TRV but should do so as a short term visitor (few weeks or months). Coming here for 2-3 years isn't going to be feasible on a TRV. She needs a work permit which would require her to go the caregiver route.

Simondial

Nov 19, 2012
Taking care of your children cannot be her reason for visiting. That will be classified as working without authorization.

She can certain apply for a TRV but should do so as a short term visitor (few weeks or months). Coming here for 2-3 years isn't going to be feasible on a TRV. She needs a work permit which would require her to go the caregiver route.

Thank you.