+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing PET DOG to Canada from India

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, I am in the same situation as you. Can you tell me what approach did you follow? I am worried about my dog since he is pretty old to travel in a cargo.
My senior did pretty well in the cargo. Read reviews before you book your dog with the airline.

Reactions: Aman6591

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
We moved our 1 and half year old miniature schnauzer from New Zealand to Toronto and was a very straight forward process.
You need to plan this about two months ahead of time (not the day before you plan to leave) We used a pet transport (agent) to handle cargo movements/pet accommodation in transit and CBP inspections.

My partner traveled two days after our dog left NZ so she could collect her in Toronto and drive to our hometown about three hours from Toronto.

Use only a IATA approved agent. Go to the IATA approved pet carrier website (don't trust that the agent you want to use is IATA approved.)
Using an agent is 100% better than doing it yourself. They will book the flights, arrange inspections and so on. You just show up to the airport and drop your dog off.

There maybe some restrictions transporting pets. Airlines in North America are strict on transport animals on really hot days (31 deg or higher) and if daytime temp drops below freezing. Airlines also introduce a Embargo themselves for various reasons. Air New Zealand has Embargos in place during spring and early summer as they transport honey bees to Vancouver so no other pets can travel.

You will need to complete all the paperwork and the agent will check it over.
The dog MUST be micro chipped unless its under 6 months and a rabies vaccine. NZ is rabies free so importing our dog was easy. If you are from a rabies infected country then discuss this with your agent as rules are slightly different. I can't comment on this as have no experience dealing with it.

The cost. THIS is the biggest factor. You will need to pay vet fees and vaccine fees (must have updated vaccines, shots and flea treatment 6 days before departure) no vaccines or record of flea treatment no travel. Canada has no exceptions to this. All export inspections are completed by your countries own bio security. Make sure your paperwork is 100% correct, then check it again and have a friend check it. Our dogs microchip number was missing one number on one paperwork . it nearly resulted in refusal and would have led to major issues. Our agent was able to intercept this and fix it at the inspection. Was a really big issue.

Our dog flew in Cargo. Yes, the hold under the plan. I've worked as a baggage handler before so trust the system. They are strapped down in a crate so wont slide around, the cargo area is dark and climate controlled by the flight crew. The pilots are aware a dog is being transport live and the temp and condition of the cargo hold is added to their checklist (checked every two hours of flight.)

She flew from Auckland to Vancouver (overnighted at some pet hotel :) ) and then flew Vancouver to Toronto the next day. Total trip time was about 18 hours of flying. She was inspected in Toronto and released about an hour after arriving off the plane.

The total cost was about $3500. This included vet fees, transport costs, crate, inspections in NZ and Canada and agents fee.

Your agent will transport with an airline that has a reputation for pet transport. Air New Zealand, Qantas, Emirates, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines. Do not allow your pet to transit through the united states, they have a shady reputation for pet transport and would rather pay an extra amount to avoid the USA.

Again, we got about three quotes and went for the middle price. Do not go for the cheapest option, you are not wanting to save money/
$3500 is about average.

Jul 31, 2019
Good afternoon,

My name is Subasana Kumar. I have the PR of Canada. I want to bring my dog fluffy(Lhasa apso) from India. He is three and half years old. I’m kind of concerned to bring him in the baggage apartment as he is a snubbed dog and I’m also not sure about the airlines. You could give some advice and an idea about how could bring my dog safely to Canada.
Thank you.

Warm regards,
Subasana Kumar.

nitishmn

Nov 2, 2017
Good afternoon,

My name is Subasana Kumar. I have the PR of Canada. I want to bring my dog fluffy(Lhasa apso) from India. He is three and half years old. I’m kind of concerned to bring him in the baggage apartment as he is a snubbed dog and I’m also not sure about the airlines. You could give some advice and an idea about how could bring my dog safely to Canada.
Thank you.

Warm regards,
Subasana Kumar.
Hi Subasana, did you get your dog to Canada finally ? I'm in a similar situation as yours. I have a snub-nosed dog too. If you could please share more info it would be very helpful.
Thanks.

3YrsLeftOnPR

Aug 12, 2020
Hello!

1) Anyone who has successfully travelled with a Senior Dog (10 years approx.) from India to Canada? Please narrate your experience!

2) Anyone who wants to pool from Delhi to Toronto, so that our pets will have some kind of company in the dark cargo area and also an additional scrutiny for the agent, Pilot, etc to take care of the conditions due to multiple pets.

3) I have a 10 year old Labrador Pet who has never been in a crate and neither flew to any place in a flight; so seeking for a companion who is ready to relocate to Canada sometime after the COVID pandemic.

Note: I am from Bangalore but I found the shortest flight (with 14 hours duration) is from Delhi, India to Toronto, ON with Air Canada.

Thanks.
Panduranga

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello!

1) Anyone who has successfully travelled with a Senior Dog (10 years approx.) from India to Canada? Please narrate your experience!

2) Anyone who wants to pool from Delhi to Toronto, so that our pets will have some kind of company in the dark cargo area and also an additional scrutiny for the agent, Pilot, etc to take care of the conditions due to multiple pets.

3) I have a 10 year old Labrador Pet who has never been in a crate and neither flew to any place in a flight; so seeking for a companion who is ready to relocate to Canada sometime after the COVID pandemic.

Note: I am from Bangalore but I found the shortest flight (with 14 hours duration) is from Delhi, India to Toronto, ON with Air Canada.

Thanks.
Panduranga
1. I assume you have talked to Air Canada?

From their web site

1. Your animals were meant to fly!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Air Canada Cargo can currently only accept dog and cat shipments via registered IPATA agents.