+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing personal gold bars into Canada

szls

Sep 24, 2013
Hi,
I will be relocating to Canada from Dubai on a Work Permit after having been offered by my current company to relocate to our Vancouver branch.
I have a few gold bars that I have invested in. I was wondering if there are any restrictions regarding this or if there my gold bars will be subjected to customs tax or anything like it?

Would really appreciate any advise that you might have.
Many thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html#s4

pokanad

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Szls,

I came from Dubai few months ago as well. and I got my gold with me. what you should do is:

Take photos of all the gold you have (earings, rings..and the gold bars) and print 2 copies.

when entreing Canada you need to claim it. the officer will keep a copy in their files and will give you a copy stamped. Note that you can't sell any of theses items IN CANADA within a year from your arrival. and when you travel later on taking with you any of theses items you should bring this copy to proof that this is not a new items.

Note; what am writing here is applicable if you are a new immigrant coming to Canada to settle for the first time. (by settling they mean willing to stay for at least a year).

Let me know if you need some extra info and my regards to my dear Burj Khalifa and the foutains!!

Dipshikha5

Aug 31, 2018
Hi Szls,

We are travelling from Dubai to Canada on the PR Visa.

Need your help in understanding certain things

1. My wife has gold .How can she carry it
2. How much luggage are we allowed to carry from Dubai
3. Do we declare silver separately or categorise it under jewellery
4. Can we carry some indian spices such as Cardamom,Cloves etc and do these need to be declared
5. Can we carry some basic utensils and do these need to be declared.
6. Can we carry some Dates from Dubai and do they need to declare it.
7. Can we carry some basic medicines and some medicinal supplements like Vitamin D tablets and do they need to declare.

Please let me know on the above.
Regards,
Sandeep

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Szls,

We are travelling from Dubai to Canada on the PR Visa.

Need your help in understanding certain things

1. My wife has gold .How can she carry it
2. How much luggage are we allowed to carry from Dubai
3. Do we declare silver separately or categorise it under jewellery
4. Can we carry some indian spices such as Cardamom,Cloves etc and do these need to be declared
5. Can we carry some basic utensils and do these need to be declared.
6. Can we carry some Dates from Dubai and do they need to declare it.
7. Can we carry some basic medicines and some medicinal supplements like Vitamin D tablets and do they need to declare.

Please let me know on the above.
Regards,
Sandeep
Others can comment as well given these are just my view
1. No idea but of course there are carry on weight limits if taking the thread title literally as gold bars versus gold jewellery .and never of course advisable to put anything of value in checked luggage.
2 . Ask your airline as they are all different as well as by economy or business class
3. No idea
4. Declare all food items even spices
5.maybe in your accompanying goods declaration. Checked luggage of course
6.again given food always declare
7.only 90 day supply of any prescription drugs is allowed. Not sure why you need to bring vitamin D tablets. If in doubt declare as just avoids problems and leave to CBSA to decide.

RG43

Sep 6, 2018
I will be relocating in Jan 2019
need help on taking personal gold
Some say i can take personal gold, take all the pics and value and then after a year i will be taxed
Some say i can take it and follow the above procedures (pics value etc) but it wont be taxed only if I sell it then it will

which is right???? I am confused. Any authorized link where it explains it????????

chilukala

Jun 10, 2014
I am coming back to Canada on workpermit (went on vacation for 1month) and I am brining the 200g of gold (2 gold bars, 100g each, worth of 15k) to the canada which was purchased (by my sister) in Canada (have bills of purchase) and sent to India as gift items, but unfortunately, India customs didnt allow and retained them. So I am brining back them to my sister. Please advise any complication i may face or let me know if its not allowed in Canada customs (if its not allowed then is it because i am in workpermit or the duration of the vacation).... any inputs will be much appreciated.