+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing our stuff across border

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for PR but in the mean time my wife is going to initially move to Canada w/ my son and I will follow in some months. Right now our plan is for them to fly (small kid) and I will drive a truck w/ our stuff across the border. I will then return the truck to US and go back to Canada to join her in our house search and settlement.

But I'm worried about crossing the border with all of our stuff alone without a PR. Has anyone been in this situation or has some tips? I was planning on showing my Canadian application record, marriage certificate, son pic and certificate and a letter from her stating what is happening..

Some friends of mine went through the border super easily but they were all together...

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for PR but in the mean time my wife is going to initially move to Canada w/ my son and I will follow in some months. Right now our plan is for them to fly (small kid) and I will drive a truck w/ our stuff across the border. I will then return the truck to US and go back to Canada to join her in our house search and settlement.

But I'm worried about crossing the border with all of our stuff alone without a PR. Has anyone been in this situation or has some tips? I was planning on showing my Canadian application record, marriage certificate, son pic and certificate and a letter from her stating what is happening..

Some friends of mine went through the border super easily but they were all together...
Hmm..what is the status of your wife and child and yourself? Are they PR or citizens, work permit?

If YOU were a CBSA officer and someone with a full truck of personal items shows up at the border with no valid papers of residency..that would look suspicious, would it not?

A bit more info would help.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hmm..what is the status of your wife and child and yourself? Are they PR or citizens, work permit?

If YOU were a CBSA officer and someone with a full truck of personal items shows up at the border with no valid papers of residency..that would look suspicious, would it not?

A bit more info would help.
She's Canadian and my son although born in US, is also Canadian since he's born from a Canadian mom. As I said, I'd bring a copy of part of our application as well as the number, proof of her job, etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She's Canadian and my son although born in US, is also Canadian since he's born from a Canadian mom. As I said, I'd bring a copy of part of our application as well as the number, proof of her job, etc.
It doesn't matter what you bring. You do not have the right to live in Canada, so showing up at the border with all of your stuff is a very good way to get yourself refused entry and possibly even issued an Exclusion Order.

On the off chance that you are allowed entry, as a visitor, you will be required to pay full duties on your belongings. You will not have the right to import them duty-free until you become a PR.

Reactions: foodie69

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
It doesn't matter what you bring. You do not have the right to live in Canada, so showing up at the border with all of your stuff is a very good way to get yourself refused entry and possibly even issued an Exclusion Order.

On the off chance that you are allowed entry, as a visitor, you will be required to pay full duties on your belongings. You will not have the right to import them duty-free until you become a PR.
It's OUR stuff from OUR house, we are married and she's moving back into Ottawa where she has a job lined up for september. We are looking into buying a house. Would it make it easier if I said everything was her's ? At this point she will cross the border with me to minimize they thinking I'm illegally moving goods to Canada !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's OUR stuff from OUR house, we are married and she's moving back into Ottawa where she has a job lined up for september. We are looking into buying a house. Would it make it easier if I said everything was her's ? At this point she will cross the border with me to minimize they thinking I'm illegally moving goods to Canada !
Yes but you would be the person physically bringing the goods across, so CBSA would go by your status. It doesn't matter if you just say it's her stuff. Imagine how many people would try to avoid paying duties by claiming such a situation. As a returning Canada, if she physically brings the belongings over, she could exercise her right to import the goods duty-free.

Note that if your wife is with you, CBSA will still realize that all of your belongings, whether they are joint or not, are coming into Canada before you are a PR. This may or may not be an issue.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. Just to add to Canuck in UK posts, here is a perfect example from the Federal Court as to what can happen.

http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/218891/index.do?r=AAAAAQAHVmlzaXRvcgE

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi everyone. While I appreciate the effort to help people out, one should be careful with the advice given on this forum since the advice on this thread was given by people unaware that CIC and CBSA have different definitions that they go by when it comes to crossing border. I just got off the phone with CBSA and they told me that I'm a settler as far as they are concerned due to my ongoing application and my wife returning w/ my kid and our plan to live together once we get a house. Of course I'll enter the country as a tourist (like I've done countless times before) but my goods fall under settler's definition since we'll be living in Canada. One list to rule all of our belongings said the good CBSA Sir.

I thought I'd add this here in case someone stumbles across this thread via search. CONTACT CBSA, they were very helpful. Of course all caveats apply, decisions at the border are at the discretion of the officer.