+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing my wife to Canada while waiting for application approval

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Hi all,

My name is Eric. In August I want to marry a beautiful woman named Heidi. I am a Canadian citizen (in fact dual citizen of USA and Canada), I reside in Canada, and I have full time employment. My future wife lives in Charleston, S.C..

In August we are going to get married legally (have the ceremony later) and file an outland spousal sponsor application from the U.S.A.

My main concern is how can I get her into Canada to live with me while our application is approved? Would she be able to get some kind of Visa or permit for this time? Or would she just be able to enter Canada as a visitor for days or months at a time (I understand the border patrol determines the time?)?

If anyone has any experience in this or has such knowledge, please share. Thank you so much

Eric

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chs2yyc said:
Hi all,

My name is Eric. In August I want to marry a beautiful woman named Heidi. I am a Canadian citizen (in fact dual citizen of USA and Canada), I reside in Canada, and I have full time employment. My future wife lives in Charleston, S.C..

In August we are going to get married legally (have the ceremony later) and file an outland spousal sponsor application from the U.S.A.

My main concern is how can I get her into Canada to live with me while our application is approved? Would she be able to get some kind of Visa or permit for this time? Or would she just be able to enter Canada as a visitor for days or months at a time (I understand the border patrol determines the time?)?

If anyone has any experience in this or has such knowledge, please share. Thank you so much

Eric
Is your fiancée a US citizen? If so, pursue the visitor path - she'd likely get 6 month entry, which you can extend if necessary. It's a bit of a catch22 as she'll have to have some sort of ties back to the US since they may ask to ensure that she'll come back. However, the flip side is that if her visa is not approved she can apply to extend her stay in Canada.

Note that as a visitor, she won't be able to work while she is in Canada.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and good luck with your application!

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
Is your fiancée a US citizen? If so, pursue the visitor path - she'd likely get 6 month entry, which you can extend if necessary. It's a bit of a catch22 as she'll have to have some sort of ties back to the US since they may ask to ensure that she'll come back. However, the flip side is that if her visa is not approved she can apply to extend her stay in Canada.

Note that as a visitor, she won't be able to work while she is in Canada.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and good luck with your application!
Hi Oh Canadiana,

That leads me to me to another question i just want to make sure: there is no conflict between the sponsor application and the visitor permit/application? In other words if we submit our application first, the visitor permit application won't have any negative bearing on the application?

By the way, THANKS for your answer. I was dreading being away from the woman I love!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
There is no visitor application if she is a US citizen - she just shows up at the border and comes in as a visitor. The border agent will ask questions. If you have already sent the PR application in, bring proof of that (or you can pay first and just bring the receipt). Ordinarily US citizens who have applied for a PR are let in as visitors. Note she is a visitor though; she should be clear with the border agent that she knows she has to leave if the PR is denied (unlikely), that she can't work while waiting, etc.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chs2yyc said:
Hi Oh Canadiana,

That leads me to me to another question i just want to make sure: there is no conflict between the sponsor application and the visitor permit/application? In other words if we submit our application first, the visitor permit application won't have any negative bearing on the application?

By the way, THANKS for your answer. I was dreading being away from the woman I love!
You're welcome, and good luck as you go through the process :) As canadianwoman said, US citizens usually don't have issues at the border as long as it's a visit. In addition to her advice, make sure she doesn't take a lot of items with her (e.g., some folks have asked about starting to move household goods, etc ... that needs to wait until she is moving after being approved when she lands).

If it takes longer than the time she's given upon entry (usually 6 months), you can extend her stay ... see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
March-28-2012...supposedly
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
I am from the US and my Canadian Husband is sponsoring me. I came to Canada in November as a visitor (just cross the border) and had 6 months (as is allowed unless they otherwise specify). I applied to extend my status (really easy to do online) and was granted an extension to stay here while our app is processed until January 2013. There shouldn't be any problems, if you have more questions, let me know!

RyeDog

Sep 25, 2012
Hi,
If my American wife is gonna stay in Canada for up to 6 months, how can you say the CDN border guards don't want her moving a bunch of personal belongings/moving truck with us? Should I, the CDN Citizen, move us up & then she crosses the next day as a visitor with a day bag?

I'm trying to bring her up as a PR applying Outland, but we want to move to Canada prior to the PR card being granted.
Thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
In my opinion, it would be safest for the Canadian spouse to move the things up alone, and have the American wife cross later, with or without him.
Usually, if the American spouse crosses with his/her spouse, and is clear that it is just a visit, and they have their application or proof of the application (fee receipt if nothing else, better if you have proof you were accepted as a sponsor, plus a copy of the app), then the border guard will let the American in. Many people on the forum have done this successfully. Still, I personally would move household goods up with only the Canadian spouse, and have the American come later.

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
06-03-2012, Tfer to Seattle 12-04-2012
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
22-07-2012, PR card rec'd 21-09-2102
RyeDog said:
Hi,
If my American wife is gonna stay in Canada for up to 6 months, how can you say the CDN border guards don't want her moving a bunch of personal belongings/moving truck with us? Should I, the CDN Citizen, move us up & then she crosses the next day as a visitor with a day bag?

I'm trying to bring her up as a PR applying Outland, but we want to move to Canada prior to the PR card being granted.
Thanks!
I am a US citizen and I came to 'visit' while my PR finished processing. We drove up together in my car, and brought my cat and what items I could fit into my car. We didn't have any problems and I was granted a 6 month visitor record. Visiting implies you are coming to stay with someone else and typically, one would not bring furniture and the like. I would be hesitant to show up with a moving truck full of furniture, but that is just my take on it.

Mostly, it seemed they just wanted to verify we had applied for PR and that I understood I could not work while waiting as a visitor. Best of luck!