+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing money from overseas

pgc

Nov 13, 2013
Hi,

I am a PR and established residency in July 2014. I also maintained my PR status in Singapore, as it was required for my husband's employment. I have money in my Singapore CPF, which I could not withdraw due to my PR status.

I might give up my PR in Singapore this year, as my husband is moving out of Singapore.

I have the option to withdraw all my CPF at that time (its over 50k of money).

If I bring it directly into Canada, will I be taxed on it? There was no way to access these funds when I established residency, but I do want to have it here, now that I dont plan to go back to Singapore.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
pgc said:
Hi,

I am a PR and established residency in July 2014. I also maintained my PR status in Singapore, as it was required for my husband's employment. I have money in my Singapore CPF, which I could not withdraw due to my PR status.

I might give up my PR in Singapore this year, as my husband is moving out of Singapore.

I have the option to withdraw all my CPF at that time (its over 50k of money).

If I bring it directly into Canada, will I be taxed on it? There was no way to access these funds when I established residency, but I do want to have it here, now that I dont plan to go back to Singapore.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
There are no taxes to pay if you bring the funds to Canada.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Just remember to declare it at customs if bringing it over in cash or any similar form (inc. travelers cheques)!

Kraretto

Apr 6, 2016
Hi I have similar question. I have checked the official website and the it you need to declare if you bring CAD 10,000 or more. It means I can bring CAD 9,999 and I no need to declare without any trouble. However, if I really need to bring an amount more than 10,000. What happen? Can anyone please give me a kindly advise? Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kraretto said:
However, if I really need to bring an amount more than 10,000. What happen?
Just declare it or risk the money being seized.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
As long as you have a good reason, they don't mind. It's just to stop people smuggling large amounts of money through for nefarious purposes.

Remember it's all currency, if you have $9999 and SGD $1.05 in change you are over the limit at current rates.
I'd convert any foreign currency at a very generous rate (in favour of the CAD $) as I'm not aware what rates CBSA use.