+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing Money and Items into Canada

xfilez76

Jul 21, 2020
Moving to Canada next year so I want to plan ahead. It's likely that I'll be driving and crossing the border into Canada. Since shipping can be expensive, I'll likely be selling most of my belongs and pack my car with what I can bring. A few questions...

1) How much money and assets (like gold) can I bring in as a new immigrant?
2) How detailed a list do I need for my belongings in the car? Do I need to call out their values? Reading a couple of threads here... seems like as long as I do a decent job in documenting my belongings, it'll be fine.
3) Do I need to pay off my car before I can import it? Or would I be able to continue financing through a US financial company?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Moving to Canada next year so I want to plan ahead. It's likely that I'll be driving and crossing the border into Canada. Since shipping can be expensive, I'll likely be selling most of my belongs and pack my car with what I can bring. A few questions...

1) How much money and assets (like gold) can I bring in as a new immigrant?
2) How detailed a list do I need for my belongings in the car? Do I need to call out their values? Reading a couple of threads here... seems like as long as I do a decent job in documenting my belongings, it'll be fine.
3) Do I need to pay off my car before I can import it? Or would I be able to continue financing through a US financial company?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
1) As much as you want as long as you declare all of it. There's no limit.
2) Yes, you want to do a decent job. Obviously you don't want to document down to the level of an individual pair of socks. However you want to call out larger more expensive items (e.g. TV).
3) You'll need to pay off your care before you can import it.