+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bringing children with us, working holiday visa

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like the title says..

my spouse and I both god working holiday visa.

Can anyone tell me what is the procedure for obtaining study permits for our children in this case. Our oldest has to go to school, he is 9., the yunger one will go to day care so I immagine she doesnt need anything.

Do we have to apply for a student visa prior to departing for canada?

Will the school require any special insurance ( we are going to ontario ) to enroll him to school?

Do we have to pay more in fees, since our child is not a permanent resident or anything?

Any sort of help, experiance, guidance, from people who are there or, have been there on a working holiday visa and have children with them, is much, much appreciated!

than you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
See the information on the page below under "Applicants not accompanied by dependents".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/index.asp

"Likewise, the children of an IEC participant are not eligible to obtain a study permit by virtue of the participant’s IEC application. They must submit their own application for a study permit if they intend to study in Canada."

This means your older child must apply for a study permit independent of your IEC. As a foreign student, you can expect your child will have to pay fees to attend either public or private school. Assume public school fees will be approximately $14,000 / year. Private would obviously be higher.

Your younger child will be admitted to Canada as a visitor and you will have to continue to extend your younger child's visitor status by applying for extensions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - hopefully you have already started looking into day cares for your younger son. It tends to be difficult to find spots and the care is also quite expensive. Make sure you include this in your budgeting considerations along with the fees your older son will have to pay to attend school.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
See the information on the page below under "Applicants not accompanied by dependents".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/index.asp

"Likewise, the children of an IEC participant are not eligible to obtain a study permit by virtue of the participant’s IEC application. They must submit their own application for a study permit if they intend to study in Canada."

This means your older child must apply for a study permit independent of your IEC. As a foreign student, you can expect your child will have to pay fees to attend either public or private school. Assume public school fees will be approximately $14,000 / year. Private would obviously be higher.

Your younger child will be admitted to Canada as a visitor and you will have to continue to extend your younger child's visitor status by applying for extensions.
thank you for the information. what is confusing is this here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

it says only minors with parents in visitor class require a permit. This is why I was not shure.

Also, 14,000 cad seems to be an enrmous amount of money., Is this information from your own experiance or can you point me to some direction where you got it from?

thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yelena said:
thank you for the information. what is confusing is this here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp
it says only minors with parents in visitor class require a permit. This is why I was not shure.

Also, 14,000 cad seems to be an enrmous amount of money., Is this information from your own experiance or can you point me to some direction where you got it from?
An IEC is a special class of visa that falls under different rules. The text I quoted above (i.e. text in quotation marks) is a direct lift from the CIC web site and specifically comments on the rules with regards to IEC holders and dependent children. You need to ignore everything else - this is the specific rule that applies to your situation.

The $14,000 is what others on this forum have been charged for children attending public primary school on study permits. It used to be around $12K or $13K but seems to have risen to $14K over the last year or two. It does vary somewhat from province to province - although not by much. If you want to confirm the amount, you will need to contact the school board for the area where you plan to live to ask for the annual tuition fee amount per child. Make sure you also look into day care costs for the area where you plan to be living. It varies from place to place. If you happen to be in Toronto then I would budget at least $1,000 per month. I don't know about other areas. You'll need to research.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
An IEC is a special class of visa that falls under different rules. The text I quoted above (i.e. text in quotation marks) is a direct lift from the CIC web site and specifically comments on the rules with regards to IEC holders and dependent children. You need to ignore everything else - this is the specific rule that applies to your situation.

The $14,000 is what others on this forum have been charged for children attending public primary school on study permits. It used to be around $12K or $13K but seems to have risen to $14K over the last year or two. It does vary somewhat from province to province - although not by much. If you want to confirm the amount, you will need to contact the school board for the area where you plan to live to ask for the annual tuition fee amount per child. Make sure you also look into day care costs for the area where you plan to be living. It varies from place to place. If you happen to be in Toronto then I would budget at least $1,000 per month. I don't know about other areas. You'll need to research.
I contacted a few school boards in ontario., and hope to get some more information about this..

I read the elementary guide to ontario http://settlement.org/downloads/ElementaryGuideSWIS%20DEC4.pdf and on the page 7., it says: About Ontario’s Publicly Funded School Systems:
Who’s Who and What’s What
Education in Ontario’s publicly funded schools is paid for by tax dollars, and is made available
free of charge to all children of school age living in Ontario

This is really confusing., as in my previous post about student visas for minors., I also quoted from the official cic web page., and it says minors dont need a studet visa in most cases., and in the ontario guide it says education is free to every child living in ontario :( this is really confusing

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok. I am even more confused. Nowhere does it say anything about having to pay international student fees when the child is already living in Canada, even without having any immigration status. I would really like to hear from someone who actualy went thru this, and if somone can confirm why they had to pay fees for their children, as if they are in the internation studen class.. this doesn't make any sence to me..

here is some more clarification, on page 23 of the same guide:

Missing documentation from your Country of Origin? Immigration status unresolved?
For families who cannot produce appropriate documentation, children may still attend school.
ALL children living in Canada, aged 6-18 have the right to a publicly funded education, and may attend (publicly funded) school, regardless of their own or their families’ access to documentation normally required upon registration for school. Nor is their own immigration status or the immigration status of their parents grounds for denying
access to (publicly-funded) school.
This is clearly stated in the Education Act, the law that governs publicly funded schools in Ontario.
Canada has signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, which means that Canada has
agreed to education available to all children aged 6-18, living in Canada.
The Ontario Ministry of Education states that the following documents are not required for student
registration in publicly-funded schools:

proof of immigration status or application for legal immigration status

work permit

social insurance number

Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP) coverage

health documentation that is different from that required of all other children

other documentation not required of other children seeking admission to school
Each school board may have a different way of managing the question of documentation. Some boards
have policies that clearly state that families are not
asked
for documents related to immigration status
when registering.
If you are unsure, or experiencing difficulty registering your children, please speak to your Settlement Worker,
or contact the (English- or French-language) school board in your area to learn more about their guidelines.

6327farag

May 12, 2013
I dont have any answers for you but i would be interested to hear from you how this works out as it may be of help to me at some point.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
6327farag said:
I dont have any answers for you but i would be interested to hear from you how this works out as it may be of help to me at some point.
I contacted the school board and settlement services in ontario with this question. I will let you know what they say. From the information so far, if the child is living in ontario (regardless of immigration status), they are entitled to ontario funded public school.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got a reply form the school board about tuition fees., and this is what they say:

Based on the information you've provided, as long as you or your spouse has a valid work permit, your son is eligible to attend school without any tuition fees

hope this helps anyone.

Hari.ap

Mar 7, 2018
Hi,
My wife and I are (New Zealand citizens) applying for the working holiday visa. We have two kids (3yo & 2mo).

- Firstly, can we take the kids along on a tourist visa?
- Also can someone please tell us the things we would need to consider for our kids? i.e. daycare, medical costs?
- Is French mandatory only in the Quebec province?
- Also if we end up getting a work offer from an employer in Canada, does this mean we can apply for a Permanent Residency?

Thanks in advance! Any information would be helpful. Cheers :)

Last edited:

sophie.y

Jan 12, 2020
Hi,
My wife and I are (New Zealand citizens) applying for the working holiday visa. We have two kids (3yo & 2mo).

- Firstly, can we take the kids along on a tourist visa?
- Also can someone please tell us the things we would need to consider for our kids? i.e. daycare, medical costs?
- Is French mandatory only in the Quebec province?
- Also if we end up getting a work offer from an employer in Canada, does this mean we can apply for a Permanent Residency?

Thanks in advance! Any information would be helpful. Cheers :)

Hi. Im wondering if you went to canada with your children.
my husband got the working holiday visa and we have 3 kids.

sophie.y

Jan 12, 2020
I got a reply form the school board about tuition fees., and this is what they say:

Based on the information you've provided, as long as you or your spouse has a valid work permit, your son is eligible to attend school without any tuition fees

hope this helps anyone.
did you bring your kids along with your working holiday visa? (guess your kids got visitor visa?)
and wondering about how the school thing went through ..