+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing cats through Europe

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
I keep finding conflicting information, so hopefully someone here has first-hand experience.

My wife and I are currently in Russia, and want to get out. We have 2 cats though, that we will bring with us.

I know that the Candian rules say that they need a rabies vaccine, but there is no waiting period. We could get the cats vaccinated tomorrow, and leave the next day. However, there are no direct flights between Canada and Russia, so we will need to go through Europe.

The European laws say the cats need a microchip, and wait 21 days after vaccination before they can be allowed in.

If we purchase tickets with 1 airline, and have a short layover, do we need to abide by the EU regulations, or can they be bypassed, and we only follow the Canadian regulations?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I keep finding conflicting information, so hopefully someone here has first-hand experience.

My wife and I are currently in Russia, and want to get out. We have 2 cats though, that we will bring with us.

I know that the Candian rules say that they need a rabies vaccine, but there is no waiting period. We could get the cats vaccinated tomorrow, and leave the next day. However, there are no direct flights between Canada and Russia, so we will need to go through Europe.

The European laws say the cats need a microchip, and wait 21 days after vaccination before they can be allowed in.

If we purchase tickets with 1 airline, and have a short layover, do we need to abide by the EU regulations, or can they be bypassed, and we only follow the Canadian regulations?

Thanks!
How about going through Asia such as China or Korea?

Reactions: bellaluna

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Ask the airline.

Seriously, this is the only way to get reliable information on what the airlines will do. The last thing they want is to have animals held in transit.

Reactions: bellaluna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks!
I agree that you should call the airline.

It's my understanding that as long as your pet isn't entering / being imported into the transit company (which they aren't), they don't need to meet the vaccination requirements of the transit country. But definitely check with the airline.

Of course I think your bigger issue now is that at the rate airlines are being shut out of Russian airspace / Russian airlines are being shut out of European airspace, you're going to have to get pretty creative with how you fly and may have to travel by land to another country before flying (in which case you would be bringing your pets into that country and will need to meet their vaccination rules). Good luck sorting it out.

Reactions: armoured