+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a Vehicle to Canada as a Student (Nova Scotia)

Carson_99

Dec 17, 2019
I'm currently in the process of registering my car with the province of Nova Scotia, as mandated by the 90-day maximum you are allowed to drive the car with a US license. Complications have arisen regarding obtaining Form 1 of vehicle importation. The import is only temporary and I am exempt from paying taxes as I will be bringing my car back to the US at the conclusion of my studies. However, to obtain this form I will need to apply for an entirely NEW certificate of title from my home state with my name as the owner. The car was originally listed under my father, however he was able to obtain a title transfer form and signed consent declaring me the new owner of the vehicle. Evidentally, this wasn't enough for CBSA who wants me to go through with applying for a new certificate of title with my name on it, however to do this I need to provide my home state with proof of lawful presence within the US (which I cannot as I am residing in Canada while I study). I'm not sure if this is even the forum for such an inquiry, but it seems as I am stuck in a catch-22 of sorts where the government of Canada does not accept the paperwork I possess as lawful, even though the laws of my home state do not permit me to get the paperwork that they are asking for. Any suggestions?