+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a Million $CAD when landing, any tax implications ??

Nov 16, 2015
Hi,

I'm landing in Canada soon, my family had a decades long property litigation with a distant family member and since I was moving to Canada and didn't want to leave unresolved issues behind we settled out of court with both parties agreeing to sell the property under litigation and splitting the proceeds as agreed between us. She gave me collateral and I withdrew my case in her favor. The property was transferred in her name.

Now the property is sold and my ( share comes to around a million $CAD. Since the property was never in my name (I withdrew in her favor, keeping her collateral as security with me) the entire amount for the property sold was deposited in her account. I'm moving next month and have asked her to wire the funds directly from her account into my Canadian Bank account (which I will open once I land) and she has kindly agreed.

Now my questions are the following:

1). Do I/Should I need to declare to immigration when landing that I am expecting said funds ?
2). Will they ask me for any documentation ? If so what ?
3). If my payment comes in small denominations i.e 10,000 or 20,000 USD every other day would that be a problem ?
4). Should I wire it or get a Demand Draft/Payorder ?
5). Are there any tax implications on my incoming funds ?
6). Will my bank or Revenue Canada have any issues or require anything ?
7). If I leave those funds unused for a year or two in my bank account, will I be taxed on it in any way ?

Thanks,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, at immigration, you don't declare about money you would be wiring later. Instead of leaving those funds unused for a year or two, why don't you invest or spend it?

Nov 16, 2015
steaky said:
No, at immigration, you don't declare about money you would be wiring later. Instead of leaving those funds unused for a year or two, why don't you invest or spend it?
So I don't need to declare at immigration that I'm either carrying about a million CAD in bank drafts or expecting that to be wired as soon as I open a bank account ?

Will probably invest in something but in no hurry. Asking as I might leave funds lying around till I find something worthwhile to invest in.

As for spending it, there's only so many Tim Horton's hot chocolates a guy a drink ;)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
19 said:
So I don't need to declare at immigration that I'm either carrying about a million CAD in bank drafts or expecting that to be wired as soon as I open a bank account ?

Will probably invest in something but in no hurry. Asking as I might leave funds lying around till I find something worthwhile to invest in.

As for spending it, there's only so many Tim Horton's hot chocolates a guy a drink ;)
If you are carrying a bank draft or something similar in lieu of currency, you have to declare it to Customs on your declaration. Wired funds do not have to be declared. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html