+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bring passport to the Ceremony

Kjacques

Oct 23, 2017
Hi all,

my passport is currently being renewed and there's a delay so there's a chance I won't receive my passport on time.
I've sent CIC an email asking about this but also think to ask if someone here knows that it's not a requirement to bring the passport to the ceremony.

Thank you in advance

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi all,

my passport is currently being renewed and there's a delay so there's a chance I won't receive my passport on time.
I've sent CIC an email asking about this but also think to ask if someone here knows that it's not a requirement to bring the passport to the ceremony.

Thank you in advance
You are only required to bring your PR card. They need to take it and make your PR status null and void after you get your certificate.

Kjacques

Oct 23, 2017
You are only required to bring your PR card. They need to take it and make your PR status null and void after you get your certificate.
Thanks so much for your quick response.
I know that PR is a must. I ask about the passport because it's one of the "Must Bring" listed on the ceremony. just I'm wondering if it's okay without it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks so much for your quick response.
I know that PR is a must. I ask about the passport because it's one of the "Must Bring" listed on the ceremony. just I'm wondering if it's okay without it.
It must be one of the IDs to support your identity to come in for ceremony.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
It must be one of the IDs to support your identity to come in for ceremony.
This is incorrect. You do need to bring an ID, it does not have to be passport. You can bring Driver's license or provincial health card if it has your photo and birthday (in QC it does). Strictly speaking even PR card is not needed, they ask to bring it just to take it away from you. I did not present any passport on my ceremony, only QC health card and PR card.

Reactions: salimnw

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
This is incorrect. You do need to bring an ID, it does not have to be passport. You can bring Driver's license or provincial health card if it has your photo and birthday (in QC it does). Strictly speaking even PR card is not needed, they ask to bring it just to take it away from you. I did not present any passport on my ceremony, only QC health card and PR card.
I said it is one of the IDs you can use to support your identity like DL and Health card with photo. While you think it is incorrect, one can bring a passport to verify identity.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
I said it is one of the IDs you can use to support your identity like DL and Health card with photo. While you think it is incorrect, one can bring a passport to verify identity.
What you said here is actually correct, while what you had said before that it MUST be one of ID is incorrect, since the passport can be, but doesnt have to be, one of IDs.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
What you said here is actually correct, while what you had said before that it MUST be one of ID is incorrect, since the passport can be, but doesnt have to be, one of IDs.
I still stand corrected when I said it must be one of the id's you can use to verify identity. Must be one of the identity list does not equate to must bring passport.

antonette28

Mar 17, 2016
What if my DL is changed to married last name but my name in citizenship is maiden name. Im Iust waiting for oath now. Will i have problem if they see in my DL that i have different last name but i will show my marriage cerrificate as supporting document.

HRHJohn

Mar 14, 2013
The notice to appear refers to travel documents "in your possession". So if you do not have your passport because you sent it in for renewal then it is not in your possession. In any event, they did not ask for my passport during my ceremony this week at Scarborough.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
My wife's passport is getting expired in October 2018. Our Citizenship application got AOR and hopefully will be in process within few weeks. Should we bother to renew her passport or should we wait to get our citizenship and then apply for Canadian passport ? We are not planing to travel anywhere outside Canada for now. Should we need a valid passport for any of the procedures like test or oath taking etc... I don't know whether we have to surrender valid passport to Indian embassy or it doesn't matter ? Kindly advice..

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
My wife's passport is getting expired in October 2018. Our Citizenship application got AOR and hopefully will be in process within few weeks. Should we bother to renew her passport or should we wait to get our citizenship and then apply for Canadian passport ? We are not planing to travel anywhere outside Canada for now. Should we need a valid passport for any of the procedures like test or oath taking etc... I don't know whether we have to surrender valid passport to Indian embassy or it doesn't matter ? Kindly advice..
You don't need to renew it. A valid passport is not a requirement for any part of the process.
During the interview, just answer what you just said here if the IRCC agent asks you about it.
No idea regarding the Indian Embassy.

Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
You don't need to renew it. A valid passport is not a requirement for any part of the process.
During the interview, just answer what you just said here if the IRCC agent asks you about it.
No idea regarding the Indian Embassy.
Thanks man !