+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bring a spouse on visitor/study/PR?

mr.steel

Feb 12, 2016
I am residing in Canada and became PR last week and doing NOC A skill type job(Software Engineer). I am planning to marry a girl from India in December 2019.

What would be the quick way to bring here?

1. Outland Spousal PR takes 8 -12 month(as per CIC website). That's my last resort. I was wondering does anyone know how long it usually takes for spousal PR application to approve in India?

2. Can I apply for an open work permit when I applied for outland PR? After reading this link it seems like I can sponsor her for a work permit too. but other link says open work permit is only for Inland application.
I talked with Immigration agents in India and they said they have applied OPW along with spousal PR
and work permit got approved?
" a spouse of a skilled worker in occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer,"

3. I can apply for a visitor visa, inviting her as my girlfriend(before we get married) but since she does not have a travel history, chances seem 50/50?

Please help..?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well
1)published average processing is 12 months, could be shorter could be longer no way to predict and depends how simple an application, whether all convincing proof of a relationship has been provided and even the volume of applications in process at same time

2)A spouse work permit as part of a PR application can only be applied for with an inland application and takes about 4 months to get the work permit on average. Without a specific link guessing the OWP referred to is for accompanying a temp skilled worker and not an outland PR application. Not saying all agents but many are good at misinformation but then again can also be said about public forums

3)you can try applying for a visit visa but that might not help if she is still your girlfriend given you cannot sponsor her for PR until either married or are in a common law relationship. The odds of approval could be 50/50 no way to predict but more often than not can be denied just depends on how convincing the application is as a genuine visitor.

Alternatively look at a study permit if a visit visa does not work

Note as a PR sponsor you need to be in Canada just about the whole time the application is processing

Last edited:

mr.steel

Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for replying.Even in outland PR applocation I need to be in canada all the time?

2. Is study permit an option even when after we get married.?

Shehzad.P

May 2, 2019
Thanks for replying.Even in outland PR applocation I need to be in canada all the time?

2. Is study permit an option even when after we get married.?
1. short trips for a week or two are fine, but nothing long term.
2. Yes, but why do you want to put up money and time when you can sponsor for PR.