+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

briding open work permit-running out of time!

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Hi I hope somebody can answer my questions. I am American in Canada on IENA(travel/work) visa. Due to misunderstanding, I have missed the deadline to renew this visa for another year. I am working full time in Canada and this open work visa expires in end of July. 2019.
I am trying to determine how I can continue staying and working here.
1) Would I be eligible to apply for Bridging open work permit?, if so can I submit paperwork and continue working until I get approved?
2) If I must stop work at the end of my current visa, how long does applying for a new open work permit take?
3) I will also be looking at applying for PR, either through skilled worker, if I qualify for family sponsorship. I am currently living c/l with my girlfriend who is a student with no income. Is she still able to sponsor me with no income.
My time is running out so I realize I need to find out what I need to do and submit paperwork. I really appreciate any guidance you can give me

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hi I hope somebody can answer my questions. I am American in Canada on IENA(travel/work) visa. Due to misunderstanding, I have missed the deadline to renew this visa for another year. I am working full time in Canada and this open work visa expires in end of July. 2019.
1) Would I be eligible to apply for Bridging open work permit?, if so can I submit paperwork and continue working until I get approved?
2) If I must stop work at the end of my current visa, how long does applying for a new open work permit take?
3) I will also be looking at applying for PR, either through skilled worker, if I qualify for family sponsorship. I am currently living c/l with my girlfriend who is a student with no income. Is she still able to sponsor me with no income.
My time is running out so I realize I need to find out what I need to do and submit paperwork. I really appreciate any guidance you can give me

Someone else I know from US was declined for second IEC VISA (also through Iena), and was able to get a Young Professional category Visa. The staff at IENA are very helpful. Have you reached out to them for advice? You don't qualify for a bridging open work permit since your current one is IEC OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. BOWP requires AOR from a PR app.

2. You have to actually qualify for another OWP and from what you've said, you don't right now.

3. Yes, she can sponsor you.

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Thank you so much. I talked to IENA and they didn't mention the young professional program but I see they are still taking applications. I will definitely try them. It wasn't that I didn't qualify for another OWP, it was that I misunderstood and did not realize they only took so many applications and I needed to apply early.

If I get approved through Young Professional Program, I can stay working but before my year is up, I will need to start as a new applicant with immigration? I mean apply for PR with a sponsorship and apply for a OWP at the same time? Can I do this 6 months into a visa so there is no down time between one ending and being approved for a regular OWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much. I talked to IENA and they didn't mention the young professional program but I see they are still taking applications. I will definitely try them. It wasn't that I didn't qualify for another OWP, it was that I misunderstood and did not realize they only took so many applications and I needed to apply early.

If I get approved through Young Professional Program, I can stay working but before my year is up, I will need to start as a new applicant with immigration? I mean apply for PR with a sponsorship and apply for a OWP at the same time? Can I do this 6 months into a visa so there is no down time between one ending and being approved for a regular OWP?
If you are already common-law, why are you delaying applying for sponsorship? You can apply whenever you want.

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Only reason for the delay is because I feel once I start the process, I will go through a lengthy period of not being able to work. I know eventually I will need to do that. I had planned to renew my current OWP for one more year and than start the process. When I missed the deadline to apply, it caught me off guard.
I am working with a really good electrical company and don't want to loose that job. But if I don't have a current WP, I will have to give up the job and possibly not get back on with them.

Any way to avoid the gap of not working while waiting to hear of my eligibility? That is why if I get approved for Youth Professional program for a year, I am wondering if they can overlap?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Only reason for the delay is because I feel once I start the process, I will go through a lengthy period of not being able to work. I know eventually I will need to do that. I had planned to renew my current OWP for one more year and than start the process. When I missed the deadline to apply, it caught me off guard.
I am working with a really good electrical company and don't want to loose that job. But if I don't have a current WP, I will have to give up the job and possibly not get back on with them.

Any way to avoid the gap of not working while waiting to hear of my eligibility? That is why if I get approved for Youth Professional program for a year, I am wondering if they can overlap?
This is what I'm saying. Apply for inland sponsorship with an OWP before your current permit expires and you will not need to stop working.

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Yes we have been living together for continuously for 1 1/2 year. Prior to that I was in Canada more than the USA for last 3 years. I believe we would qualify that way. I didn't realize if I applied prior to my OWP expiring I would be able to continue working. That is great news.
Anything specific I need to know for the sponsorship application or the OWP application that would be helpful.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes we have been living together for continuously for 1 1/2 year. Prior to that I was in Canada more than the USA for last 3 years. I believe we would qualify that way. I didn't realize if I applied prior to my OWP expiring I would be able to continue working. That is great news.
Anything specific I need to know for the sponsorship application or the OWP application that would be helpful.
Thanks
Make sure you have proof that you were living together especially from the beginning, things like joint lease from the first 6 months, bills, etc. Many don’t plan that they will need to prove that you’ve been living together a year later.

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Are you sure this still applies if my OWP is thru IENA? I mean the part about applying before it runs out and allows me to continue working until I get approved?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Are you sure this still applies if my OWP is thru IENA? I mean the part about applying before it runs out and allows me to continue working until I get approved?
I went through IENA and did 2 years on working holiday OWP. Before my second OWP expired, I applied for PR and OWP through my partner as common law. Because my status in Canada was still valid, I was on implied status (through my new OWP application) until I received it and was able to continue working. The tricky part though, is if you make ANY errors and they return your application, you are "out of status" in Canada and are unable to work until you resubmit and are approved. I used an attorney as it was very important to me to NOT lose my job of 2 years.