+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging work permit, after PR profile is created.

cmeehan

Dec 12, 2019
Hi All, My 2 year IEC visa expires on the 30th of Jan, I have a profile created for PR and have my English test tomorrow (IELTS). I will get my results in 5-7days. Once I get my results and summit this application will I be given a application number so I can apply for a bridging visa online? Or do I need to apply by paper? Cheers.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Creating a profile does NOT qualify you for BOWP. You can only apply for BOWP if you have submitted a PR application.

If you do not have other means to apply for a new work permit and wish to remain in Canada after Jan 30, you need to apply to change your status to visitor.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

cmeehan

Dec 12, 2019
Creating a profile does NOT qualify you for BOWP. You can only apply for BOWP if you have submitted a PR application.

If you do not have other means to apply for a new work permit and wish to remain in Canada after Jan 30, you need to apply to change your status to visitor.
Hey,

So once I get my English result, I will summit my PR application. Once I summit my PR application, Will I be given a reference/application number straight away to apply for BOWP?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
An EE profile is NOT a PR application.

What you are doing is merely creating a profile, NOT submitting an application

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Once I create the profile, I will need to be asked in to a pool first before I can start my PR application?
Once you create your profile successfully (including IELTS results), you will be in the pool. Draws then happen a few times a month. If you have enough points and are selected in the draw from the pool (received ITA), you will then submit your complete PR application. Only then will you qualify to apply for a BOWP and you must be holding a valid work permit at the time you submit the BOWP application.

You are cutting these extremely close and there may be no draw between the time you complete your profile and the time your IEC expires.

How many points do you expect you'll have?

cmeehan

Dec 12, 2019
Once you create your profile successfully (including IELTS results), you will be in the pool. Draws then happen a few times a month. If you have enough points and are selected in the draw from the pool (received ITA), you will then submit your complete PR application. Only then will you qualify to apply for a BOWP and you must be holding a valid work permit at the time you submit the BOWP application.

You are cutting these extremely close and there may be no draw between the time you complete your profile and the time your IEC expires.

How many points do you expect you'll have?
Thanks for the response.

I hope to have about 460-470 points. Do you know if there is any other process to get an extension on my visa?

I know I am cutting it tight, I had to go home for sometime and wasn't sure if I was coming back :( But now that I am back I want to stay.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the response.

I hope to have about 460-470 points. Do you know if there is any other process to get an extension on my visa?

I know I am cutting it tight, I had to go home for sometime and wasn't sure if I was coming back :( But now that I am back I want to stay.
The only other way to get an extension is for your employer to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. However LMIAs take months to get - so I don't see how that is an option now.

You want to have 470+ points to be in a good position to be selected. This also assumes there is a draw between the time you set up your full profile and the end of the month. You would also need to have your full application pretty much ready. Do you have all of your work experience letters / proof, etc. ready to go?

There's a good chance you may have to apply to change your status to visitor and then stop working as of Feb 1.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Thanks for the response.

Timing is the biggest drawback I think.
Let's say even if you receive an invitation in the next week's draw, you will have to submit a complete PR application with police clearance reports, educational assessments, medical reports etc. And all of these docs take a lot of time to arrange. Not to mention you have submit your application before your WP expires if you want to apply for BOWP.

Unless you have all the required documents in have, I'm afraid 2 weeks ain't going to cut it.

Reactions: scylla

MelanieL

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Yes unfortunately you are cutting it very fine and you almost certainly won't have an AOR which you need for your bridging visa application (first you go into the pool, then you wait for an ITA but you may need 471 points to get invited, then you submit all of your documents, then you get an AOR letter which for most is automatic, some have to wait). Do you have your qualification from WES or another organisation as this takes the longest - minimum 7 weeks for me? Do you have work? Unfortunately IEC cannot be extended.

Sorry for the bad news, but as others have said, 2 weeks is pretty impossible. You will likely lose your worker status and have to apply to be a visitor, wait for your AOR, and then submit your application for bridging visa but I still think that in the meantime you will only have implied status as a visitor, not a worker as implied status is based on your previous status. :( :(

SirManDudeGuy

Jan 3, 2020
Cutting it very close here. I created a profile back in Oct, permit expires Feb 07. I got ITA last week but still working on getting all the documents which I expect to finish and submit by tomorrow. With below 470 I'm gonna guess you won't make it but at least create a profile to see where you really stand. If you already have all your supporting documents ready, you might make it assuming you get invited on the 22nd, submit everything on 23rd and have 6~7 days to get your AOR

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hey, just a quick question about police clearance certificates, I am assuming only I have to provide this right, not my family members like dad, mom and sister. On my application I am declared as single/never married guy with no dependents or children.
If you're applying alone then yes, only yourself. Your famly members are not the ones applying for a visa.

MelanieL

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hey, just a quick question about police clearance certificates, I am assuming only I have to provide this right, not my family members like dad, mom and sister. On my application I am declared as single/never married guy with no dependents or children.
Yup only you, unless you have a spouse/dependent. Good luck :) :)