+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Visa Question

mjw071284

Mar 21, 2015
Just have a question about bridging visas. Myself and my girlfriend (common law partner) have applied to CEC and recieved AOR last month. I am on an IEC visa (open permit) and she is on her own IEC visa. Mine doesn't expire until 2016 so I am covered but hers expires in July so she will be wanting to get a bridging visa when she gets within 4 months of expiry. As I am the primary applicant for PR and I will not be applying for a bridging visa can she apply, I ask as I read this on the CEC page

It should be noted that the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:
spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant;

Also are you free to leave the country when on a bridging visa to go on vacation?

Thanks

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
mjw071284 said:
Just have a question about bridging visas. Myself and my girlfriend (common law partner) have applied to CEC and recieved AOR last month. I am on an IEC visa (open permit) and she is on her own IEC visa. Mine doesn't expire until 2016 so I am covered but hers expires in July so she will be wanting to get a bridging visa when she gets within 4 months of expiry. As I am the primary applicant for PR and I will not be applying for a bridging visa can she apply, I ask as I read this on the CEC page

It should be noted that the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:
spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant;

Also are you free to leave the country when on a bridging visa to go on vacation?

Thanks

No only principal applicant are eligible to apply however being as your common law she can be applied for spouse open work permit only if you have skill job.

mjw071284

Mar 21, 2015
Thanks for the answer. I am a skilled worker, work as an industrial electrician and I have red seal. For her to get an open permit that way would I not need to be applying for a bridging visa myself or have an lmia?

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
mjw071284 said:
Thanks for the answer. I am a skilled worker, work as an industrial electrician and I have red seal. For her to get an open permit that way would I not need to be applying for a bridging visa myself or have an lmia?
No, as long as your work permit is valid till 6 months or more she can apply for spouse open work permit. You will have to ask your employer to give you an employment letter and should you need to provide CIc as evidence with couple of latest pay slips