+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit under CEC - Please Help

victor101

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Use the CAN format number for this application but once you get your PR and receive PR card you will find the original (permit) UCI on your card.

What happens is that once IRCC receives your bowp application they will check with your application number whether your express entry application is complete or not. If your application is complete and R10 is clear then they will process your application but if it is incomplete then your bowp will be refused.

If your R10 is not clear yet, then your bowp application will be on hold until you clear the R10 check.

Hope this helps
Hi,

Please help, when I submitted my BOWP application under CEC inland application, I used the existing UCI on my current work permit and NOT the UCI from the Express Entry account. Will this affect my BOWP application?

ethellangdon

May 19, 2020
Hey all, wanted to ask a question about applying for the Bridging Open Work Permit Visa. I've scoured the canadavisa.com forums as well as done numerous other searches but am still unsure of a few things...

I've submitted my PR application under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and have received the Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) from IRCC. In this document, it states that if I meet all the other eligibility criteria, I can use this letter (the AOR), to apply for a bridging open work permit visa. My Work Permit expires Oct. 27 so I definitely need this...(why am I cutting it so fine - it's a long story).
Anyway, the website states:
You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if:
  • you applied for permanent residence
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you are currently in Canada
It also states, 'When you submit your work permit application, include the supporting documents listed in your document checklist and add a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) letter. Upload these documents using the “Letter of Explanation” entry in your document checklist.'

Find here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

All of this is true. However, when I fill out the eligibility tool to generate a documents checklist, there is a question which asks,
'Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle (AIP) for permanent residence in Canada?'

If I answer yes to this, I am able to apply for the open work permit, if I answer no, I am not. My question is, does the AOR qualify as the AIP in this circumstance?

There is another website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2012/485-december-15-2012.html) which states, 'applicants who apply under in-Canada PR classes (Live-in Caregiver class, Spouses or Common-law Partners in Canada class, Protected Persons, etc.) become eligible for open WPs once their application has been “approved in principle”, or upon submission of their application'

'It also states, for CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.'

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the resolution?

tl;dr: When applying for a bridging open work permit for the CEC, does the AOR count as the AIP?

Thank you for any help in advance x
I just wanted to follow up on this as my partner and I are currently in the same situation...were you able to get the BWOP replying 'yes' to AIP and submitting the AOR as documentation?

victor101

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Oh! Will they inform you via email that bowp has approved?
How many months does it take from applying online to be mailed? It said 89days, hopefully it would take less than 3months..;(
Thanks!!!
I linked my paper application to my online account and I got the update online. My application took around 90days

RAMAAA91

Mar 8, 2020
I just wanted to follow up on this as my partner and I are currently in the same situation...were you able to get the BWOP replying 'yes' to AIP and submitting the AOR as documentation?
Hi i have a question as i see that you applied for BOWP recently.Did you request for Biometrics?
If so did you got the chance to submit as of now all the service canada centers were closed right and also the waiting times are too long lile more than 2hrs when tried to call..Any help with information would be much appreciated..
Thank you

d13

Jun 9, 2020
When I submitted my PR application they sent me letter and one fee receipt..which is applicable for BOWP.my husband is applicaant.i am on open work permit spouse visa.
So how we apply for BOWP

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hi,

Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) should work, BOWP payment receipt. Employment certificate.
Hi,

I applied for eAPR CEC and have AOR already. Can I apply BOWP if my current closed permit is still valid which is more than 4 months expiry date. I just want to make it open so I can apply to other employer. Thanks for your response.