+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit question

Brookee

Sep 30, 2013
Hi everyone.
I have a question about the bridging open work permits.
I'm on a working visa that's due to expire 3rd of May. My partner and I have applied for residency under CEC in September 2014. My partner is the primary applicant and I'm his spouse. The question is, my partner is also on a working visa that will expire in August, 3 months after mine. While we are still waiting on our AOR, can I apply for a bridging open permit if he doesn't need to apply for one yet? I looked on the CIC website and it says;
It should be noted that the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit: spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant.
However then it also says; For spouses of CEC applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.

I'm a little confused about this and I honestly cannot afford to not work for months until my partner is able to apply for his bridging permit.

If anyone could help I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Frenchfrance

Jan 12, 2015
Hi Brookee,

I was exactly in the same situation in 2013, the expiration date of our work permits (my partner and I) were different. This is what you need to know:

a) First of all, you need to get AOR in order to apply for a BOWP, without having the AOR the application will be rejected.
b) Your partner who is the primary applicant is the one who should apply and attached your application as his dependent. He can apply within 4 months of the expiration date, so I would say he can send the application after April 10th, and of course before your work permit expires. If you do a paper application, it will take about 2 months. I think online is faster but a little bit tricky so be careful.
c) Do not get worried if your work permit expires before you get the new BOWP, as long as the application is sent before your work permit expires and it is still in process you will keep the same status, so you can continue working.

I know, it is confusing but we applied and both of us got the BOWP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
techically, only the principal applicant gets a BOWP. The spouse gets a spousal open work permit.

I don't see the exact date that your partner's permit expires, but he is only eligible with the 4 months before his permit expires. So it would seem that your permit will expire before your partner is eligible for the BOWP.

So, 2 options -

Proceed as Frenchfrance suggested, but understand that once your permit expires, you won't be able to work until you get the new one. You will also have to apply for restoration when you apply for your open work permit.

OR - apply for a new SOWP NOW. It will only be extended until August, but if you can't afford to miss work, that's your best option. Depending on progress on your file, you can then both submit applications for the BOWP/SOWP end of July or early August.

Brookee

Sep 30, 2013
Thank you jes_ON and Frenchfrance for your replies.

My parnter's visa expires on August 6, so he can apply April 6, so a month before mine expires. We'll apply online for it.

It is very confusing, but I'm sure there are ways to keep working until our PR decision is made.

Thanks again for your advice, it's really helpful, and quite honestly a lot more helpful then when I called CIC and spoke to a representative.

Now still the waiting game for this pesky AOR.

Thanks again.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Brookee said:
My parnter's visa expires on August 6, so he can apply April 6, so a month before mine expires. We'll apply online for it.
Oh, good. Then if your permit expires, you'll be under implied status and can continue to work until you get a response from CIC. (That is, as long as you remain in Canada. If you travel outside of Canada while on implied status, you will lose it...)