+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit and healthcare coverage question

indy500

May 27, 2017
I have applied for PR along with my spouse about 2 months ago through CEC. I'm the principal applicant.

My current work permit ends in November so I'm about to apply for a BOWP. I was told only the principal applicant is eligible for BOWP so my wife would have to get a regular temporary resident visa to remain in Canada.

So my question is if my wife cannot get BOWP and will have to remain in Canada on a visitor visa, does she lose her healthcare coverage until our PR is approved? What options do we have so we are not left without medical insurance in the meantime?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I was told only the principal applicant is eligible for BOWP TRUE
so my wife would have to get a regular temporary resident visa to remain in Canada. EH - NO.

If your wife wants to (continue to) work, or even just have the option, she can apply for a spouse's open work permit (which IS a regular temporary resident visa). You can submit the two work permit applications together. (If you use the online application, it will walk you through that). Her SOWP is dependent on your BOWP application being approved.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17

"You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

• are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence"
The confusion perhaps - in the old days, temporary work permits were considered a type of temporary resident permit; but a visa is something else. Still, lots of people confuse the terms permit and visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17
So my question is if my wife cannot get BOWP and will have to remain in Canada on a visitor visa, does she lose her healthcare coverage until our PR is approved? Hopefully this is now a moot point, but as long as YOU have a valid work permit and are eligible for provincial health insurance, your dependents would be eligible too.

Nirem

Jun 26, 2019
I am applying for my PR soon as I am waiting for the next round of invitation. The problem that I am facing is my work permit will get expired in next October and so as my health insurance. I am pregnant and my due date is in December. If I don't get my bridging open work permit approved, I wouldn't be able to have my insurance during delivery. Would I be able to get the bridging open work permit from any boarder in Ontario. Otherwise I might need to leave the country. Someone please help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am applying for my PR soon as I am waiting for the next round of invitation. The problem that I am facing is my work permit will get expired in next October and so as my health insurance. I am pregnant and my due date is in December. If I don't get my bridging open work permit approved, I wouldn't be able to have my insurance during delivery. Would I be able to get the bridging open work permit from any boarder in Ontario. Otherwise I might need to leave the country. Someone please help
BOWPs cannot be obtained at the border.

Nirem

Jun 26, 2019
Is there any way to get the health insurance while on implied status or anyway to fasten the process of getting bridging work permit?