+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridge open work permit (BOWP) or post graduate open work permit

tm.torabi

Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
Since my passport's expiry date was less than three years, I got post graduate open work permit for only one and a half years. Based on CIC website I am able to extend it for another one and a half years. I have also invited to apply for express entry and then I am able to apply for (BOWP) after submitting the application. I am living in Canada with my wife and she also needs to apply for extension for her open work permit along with me.
My question is that which one of these two options are better to apply? How long the BOWP is valid?
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
I would go with extending the PGWP and later, if necessary, applying for a BOWP. Reason: You would be able to have more time to work with "work permit". I believe that the extension of the PGWP should be less complicated to be approved than BOWP as well (just do another PGWP application with a letter of explanation, attach a copy of the new passport, attach a copy of the old passport, and attach all other documents you attached in the 1st PGWP application).

I'm not sure if you can do this extension online or in paper (I would call CIC to clarify - when I did in 2018 it was on paper, but it also didn't had any information online in the CIC website about this possibility). If it's just on paper, maybe you can prefer BGWP as this one can go online and be faster.

Last edited:

tm.torabi

Jan 14, 2016
I would go with extending the PGWP and later, if necessary, applying for a BOWP. Reason: You would be able to have more time to work with "work permit". I believe that the extension of the PGWP should be less complicated to be approved than BOWP as well (just do another PGWP application with a letter of explanation, attach a copy of the new passport, attach a copy of the old passport, and attach all other documents you attached in the 1st PGWP application).

I'm not sure if you can do this extension online or in paper (I would call CIC to clarify - when I did in 2018 it was on paper, but it also didn't had any information online in the CIC website about this possibility). If it's just on paper, maybe you can prefer BGWP as this one can go online and be faster.
Thanks for your help