+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
jaytarun said:
I will be eligible in April 2017, can some one suggest how long should I wait before applying for citizenship to be on safe? I was out of the country for almost 1.5 years( there was a family emergency)
have you tried the online calculator ?
If you are 100% sure of your travel dates , entries and exits , you can apply but a buffer is always safe and highly stress-relieving because if later on you realize you forgot to mention a trip or were mistaken on dates then all the time spent waiting will be lost and your application will end up being rejected and may be subject to more scrutiny when you will reapply.
Plus you were out of canada for more than a year which would likely trigger an RQ . You'd better be playing on the safe side by leaving a couple of days /weeks after you are eligible to apply .At the end of the day , it's your call . Some applied at 1460 days and were 100% sure of dates and had documentation to back that up such as flight tickets , hotel reservations etc...
My guess is applying right on 1460 and having spent 18 months out of Canada is subject to residence compliance scrutiny from case officers .

NGE

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
29-01-2012
tyl92 said:
If you are 100% sure of your travel dates , entries and exits , you can apply but a buffer is always safe and highly stress-relieving because if later on you realize you forgot to mention a trip or were mistaken on dates then all the time spent waiting will be lost and your application will end up being rejected and may be subject to more scrutiny when you will reapply.
Plus you were out of canada for more than a year which would likely trigger an RQ . You'd better be playing on the safe side by leaving a couple of days /weeks after you are eligible to apply .At the end of the day , it's your call . Some applied at 1460 days and were 100% sure of dates and had documentation to back that up such as flight tickets , hotel reservations etc...
My guess is applying right on 1460 and having spent 18 months out of Canada is subject to residence compliance scrutiny from case officers .

Hi, I applied this December. I went back home and stayed more then 8 months. If CIC request me for RQ, what should I have to submit. The problem is, As a single person I live several times in basement no lease doc and that time I used my friends house address as a living and as well as mailing address.

what is your comment regarding this.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
Hi
Im not an immigration expert so I wouldn't recommend you to take my words or advice for reliable source of information
However I've had noticed a certain viable pattern in this matter
Being away is not a crime , in order to qualify you for citizenship and ultimately to grant it to you , case officers want to make sure that Canada is your main home and you plan to continue that way ( I.e intend to reside clause ) whenever you were away , officers start having doubts about residence requirements which in the bottom line would sound logic
However my best recommendation is try to gather as many documentation as you can to back up and prove you were actually in Canada should they have any doubts about that
They may ask like they may not , it is case by case and officer by officer
Just be prepared in case they ask anything . You can gather documents , plane tickets etc...anything you have to prove that . Should they need additional information , they will communicate and tell you exactly what they want from you
My advice is always be prepared for the worse so you can enjoy more smoothly and won't start stressing and being worried along the process . This way you won't lose much time If this hypothetical situation should occur
Since you already applied , sit back , relax , and be alert on emails and regular mails and phone calls and you'll go from there

NGE

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
29-01-2012
tyl92 said:
Hi
Im not an immigration expert so I wouldn't recommend you to take my words or advice for reliable source of information
However I've had noticed a certain viable pattern in this matter
Being away is not a crime , in order to qualify you for citizenship and ultimately to grant it to you , case officers want to make sure that Canada is your main home and you plan to continue that way ( I.e intend to reside clause ) whenever you were away , officers start having doubts about residence requirements which in the bottom line would sound logic
However my best recommendation is try to gather as many documentation as you can to back up and prove you were actually in Canada should they have any doubts about that
They may ask like they may not , it is case by case and officer by officer
Just be prepared in case they ask anything . You can gather documents , plane tickets etc...anything you have to prove that . Should they need additional information , they will communicate and tell you exactly what they want from you
My advice is always be prepared for the worse so you can enjoy more smoothly and won't start stressing and being worried along the process . This way you won't lose much time If this hypothetical situation should occur
Since you already applied , sit back , relax , and be alert on emails and regular mails and phone calls and you'll go from there
Thanks, I have 2 days buffer... I have all the doc like bills, University Graduation certificates, air tickets even boarding pass. I always rent a one room, at the beginning there is no lease agreement.

jaytarun

Dec 22, 2016
tyl92 said:
Thank you so much for your detailed response. So, mostly I will leave buffer of around 1 month time to be on safer side.

Also, sorry but as we know our situation most of our parents live in our home country. I had to visit my home country again before applying and not sure if they consider it as a negative sign if we stay out of country for 2/6 years. My father passed away 2 years ago so I had to go visit my home country to settle my other family members. I am going to mention these reasons though but I hope they see it from our side too.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaytarun said:
I will be eligible in April 2017, can some one suggest how long should I wait before applying for citizenship to be on safe? I was out of the country for almost 1.5 years( there was a family emergency)
I'll also complete 1460 days on March 15, 2017, but I'll give one month additional time and will apply on April 15th, 2017. Similarly I didn't move permanently after landing in Canada, stayed and worked in US for 1.5 years before moving to Canada in 2013. I renewed my PR this year in May without any issues. I think as long as you are working here, paying taxes and meet 1460 days you should be okay and don't think of RQs or other stuff and you should get your Citizenship without issues as long as you meet the application requirements.

Sep 29, 2016
i had been away for a while and trying to catch up..

i see the bill is referred to a standing committee, any idea when they are meeting next?

Natan

May 22, 2015
NGE said:
Hi, I applied this December. I went back home and stayed more then 8 months. If CIC request me for RQ, what should I have to submit. The problem is, As a single person I live several times in basement no lease doc and that time I used my friends house address as a living and as well as mailing address.

what is your comment regarding this.
Even if you didn't have a lease, if you paid rent, you should be able to provide proof of that, e.g., a cancelled cheque, ATM receipts, bank statements showing a withdrawal for the amount of rent. If you have a bank account and/or credit card accounts, provide all the statements for the period you are asserting you were present in Canada. Did you get any moving violations or traffic citations, these would be proof you were in Canada on those days. How about paycheques, or if you were paid in cash, deposits to your bank account? Did you ride the bus, do you have the bus tickets or can your transit authority provide a listing of the times you used a transit pass? Did you buy groceries, liquor, household goods, eat out, drink out -- can you provide any of the receipts? Did you have any utility bills in your name? Did you have a cell phone in your name?

I recommend you start compiling documents in preparation for an RQ now. If you wait until you receive the RQ, you may fail to gather enough of the documents in a timely manner to convince IRCC.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
ipfreely said:
It would be funny if you save all your receipts from day 1 and dump them all on the table of the officer who RQ'd you out of spite.
They know your present in that country, but still would like to waste both your time.
Yeah, that's def a great strategy to make the officer happy.

Don't be a jerk. Just don't do it.

girlfromindia

Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

So they were suppose to announce a change in the citizenship rules by Jan. Has that happened? It was to relax some rules back to the old one. around 1095 days and each year 183 days or so.. but i notice ppl still talking about 1460 days.. so sounds like it hasnt changed. Could any of you confirm if there is a likelihood of any changes any more?

Thanks!

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
girlfromindia said:
Hello,

So they were suppose to announce a change in the citizenship rules by Jan. Has that happened? It was to relax some rules back to the old one. around 1095 days and each year 183 days or so.. but i notice ppl still talking about 1460 days.. so sounds like it hasnt changed. Could any of you confirm if there is a likelihood of any changes any more?

Thanks!
Senate's Calendar 2017:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/ParlBusiness/senate/calendar/cal2017-e.htm'

3 weeks work ... 1 week OFF, then [this is the period where the committee decides on the experts to interview as well as the new rules of the revised committee]
2 weeks work ... 2 weeks OFF, then [the committee meets the experts]
3 weeks work ... 2 weeks OFF [the committee continues to meet the experts and probably reports the outcomes to the Senate, in addition (positively thinking), the Senate might adopt the report and move to the 3rd reading]

So, a total of 8 working weeks from January to the beginning of May 2017.

3 weeks work in May ..... 1 week OFF, then
5 weeks work (possibly to be shortened to 4 in order to take an early break as usual) .... 2.5 months summer break

these other 8 weeks might witness the 3rd reading.... how long, how short that depends on the Senators' willing!!! here is my a few scenarios:

1- If the same 2nd reading's scenario to continue, then the bill won't become law before September 2017.
2- If the bill is accepted before they adjourn for the summer break (I highly expect that), then:
a) the bill will go back to the HoC (if amended, highly likely) where the HoC will be already adjourned so, the bill will next be discussed at the HoC in Sep. 2017
b) the bill is not amended, so it's a law on Canada Day, the 150th anniversary of Canada, however, it won't be in force yet.
3- The bill passes the 3rd reading faster than anyone would have though....... Happy faces by March/April 2017 (C-6 is a law) with more happy faces on July 1st (C-6 is fully in force).

Although I'm in favor of option 3, I personally don't expect this option to happen where the option 2a seems to be a realistic expectation.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
Interesting you folks read the comments on the below article:
http://www.yukon-news.com/news/lang-slams-liberal-terrorism-bill/

satyasuman

Aug 8, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo- Transferred to NewYork VO
NOC Code......
2171/2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2010
AOR Received.
09-03-2011
File Transfer...
23-04-2012 to NY Visa Office
Med's Request
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012; Sent to CIC on Aug 3. Received by CIC on Sep 5
Passport Req..
1-10-2012 - Email; Passports sent on Oct 26 2012.
VISA ISSUED...
5-11-2012 - Received passports on Nov 6 2012
LANDED..........
7-11-2012.
Hello,

First of all, I joined this forum in 2011 during my PR application and back on this forum for citizenship now. I assume many are like me. This forum helps many. Thanks to all.

Question:
My wife qualifies with the 4/6 rule in Jan and I qualify in Mar. This is because of my individual trips to US for work reasons. So, in this case, should we apply individually for citizenship or together in Mar-Apr?

Thanks,
Satya.

Teaspoon

Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, What is intent to reside ? when some apply for citizenship , what is required ? Any forms for that ? or what needs to be done when some one apply for citizenship ?

Thanks
Teaspooooon

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
satyasuman said:
Hello,

First of all, I joined this forum in 2011 during my PR application and back on this forum for citizenship now. I assume many are like me. This forum helps many. Thanks to all.

Question:
My wife qualifies with the 4/6 rule in Jan and I qualify in Mar. This is because of my individual trips to US for work reasons. So, in this case, should we apply individually for citizenship or together in Mar-Apr?

Thanks,
Satya.
Seems a good plan..just have enough buffer days.