+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spiritsoul said:
I totally agree, however, Senators like Frum have the option to vote against the clause rather than downgrading the context of the bill to ONLY this clause. Of course they won't win now (I believe) following the appointment of the new Senators.
Agreed. They won't win but they can cause some noise around it (something Conservatives are really good at). In fact, the Bill will ultimately be expanded to include appeal possibilities for people facing misrepresentation-related revocation (Something that was flagged waaaay before but that they refused to do but suddenly agreed to when a Minister faced revocation of her own citizenship - politics are disgusting sometimes...).

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/31/fraudster-who-tried-to-sponsor-more-than-500-refugees-sentenced-to-prison

I hope our delays won't increase because of this douchebag.
They might decide to do checks on pay stubs and bank letters in the future, which might increase the delays by a lot...

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarceauBletard said:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/31/fraudster-who-tried-to-sponsor-more-than-500-refugees-sentenced-to-prison

They might decide to do checks on pay stubs and bank letters in the future, which might increase the delays by a lot...
Well it would be highly unlikely. The Refugee Process is very different than the Citizenship one (I hope).

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
MarceauBletard said:

I highly doubt it as these are two different procedures. PRs applying for citizenship have already been through that type of scrutiny prior to moving to the country. I think tax forms provide IRCC with the necessary information of the individual's finances.

nsapp

Star Member
Aug 28, 2013
Any hopes for passing this bill in 2016? If there was a voting button facility I would have done for this forum to get everyone's opinion.
Like many others I love this country and want to become integrated part of this country as soon as possible.

Hope things move on well with C-6.

gaby8

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico city
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
DD Oct 28, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Nov 7, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
Jan 21, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 26, 2015
Passport Req..
Feb 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Mar 9, 2015
noba el king said:
Any updates from session today?
skipped as usual..

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
spiritsoul said:
I totally agree, however, Senators like Frum have the option to vote against the clause rather than downgrading the context of the bill to ONLY this clause. Of course they won't win now (I believe) following the appointment of the new Senators.
Senators (and MPs for that matter) don't vote on clauses. They vote on a bill in it's entirety. That's why they have to get it right the first time. You're either for the whole thing, or against the whole thing.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Coffee1981 said:
Senators (and MPs for that matter) don't vote on clauses. They vote on a bill in it's entirety. That's why they have to get it right the first time. You're either for the whole thing, or against the whole thing.
They can recommend removing clauses or enhancing them, or even adding them like they're gonna do with the appeal process for misrepresentation cases.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
admontreal said:
They can recommend removing clauses or enhancing them, or even adding them like they're gonna do with the appeal process for misrepresentation cases.
But they still don't vote on bills clause by clause. They either support the whole bill or none of it. You don't say "I'm going to vote for everything except clause 17 and 28". It's either yay or nay.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Coffee1981 said:
But they still don't vote on bills clause by clause. They either support the whole bill or none of it. You don't say "I'm going to vote for everything except clause 17 and 28". It's either yay or nay.
Agreed. What I was referring to was the legislative ping pong they could theorically play with the HoC: 'Removing a clause, voting it, HoC adds it back, votes it, send it back to Senate, etc.'
But if they decide to play it the outrcry that could generate would convince them to stop after the second round !!