+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Breaking it all down - bit by bit. Some basic questions re: EE

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Hello experts,

I am fairly new to exploring Canadian immigration system. I am impressed with the wealth of information regarding this available online, particularly in this forum. Unlike the US, I find Canadian system relatively less complex but there are still a few questions itching me so I decided to seek your help in answering them.

First, my circumstances:

Experience:
I have more than 10 years’ experience, encompassing multiple NOCs. This includes financial manager (1 year), credit controller (1 year), senior executive (5 years), management consultant (5 years – overlapping with senior exec), corporate trainer (3 years – partly overlapping with management consultant and senior exec) and university teacher/AP (2 years). Most of my experience and postgrad education are from the UK.

Education:
Two master’s degrees.

Language:
I don’t have current/valid IELTS score at the moment but the last time I took this test was in ’07 or ’08. Back then I got 8.5 total, with minimum individual band 8.5 (in writing and listening I think). I would’ve only improved my language skills since then so hope to score better than that if I take the test in future.

Wife's experience:
She has 5 years’ experience in senior financial/investment analyst position in the US, UK, Singapore, 1 year’s top management (investment company) and 1 year pro-bono director (foreign scholarship programme) experience in Pakistan. 7 years in total.

Education:
She has O-levels, International Baccalaureate Diploma, a 4 years’ bachelor’s degree from the US, 6 months’ non-degree coursework from Egypt (though the courses level was that of a final year bachelor’s degree), and part-qualified CFA (i.e. completed Level I).

Language:
She hasn’t done IELTS either but she has better language skills than native speakers so I am sure she can get perfect 9.

Now here are my questions:

1. If I become the main applicant, which NOC should I specify?

2. Does my wife have 1 post-secondary qualification or more?

3. With my tiny knowledge about Canadian immigration, I have a feeling provincial nomination for us is unlikely since that will be open to people who’ve already been in Canada to work, study or be with their families. Is that a fair assessment or do we stand any chance of PNP?

4. Is there any realistic chance for us to get a job offer from Canada? Surely, CIC is saying that employers will be encouraged to pick candidates from the pool but how likely is it that an employer would put their finger on a foreigner whom they haven’t even met and then they’d wait for 6 months or so to fill their vacancies? Am I missing something?

5. If we neither get provincial nomination nor a job offer, how likely is it that we’ll be able to enter the pool with those 600 points foregone? I know it’s a difficult question to answer but perhaps if someone could answer these sub-questions:

5.a. How many places for immigration under economic classes will be there in 2015?

5.b. How many draws are expected in 2015? 1 in Jan plus 2 x 11 remaining months?

5.c. How many PNs will be given through EE? This could perhaps be achieved by adding the number of places in each of the 12(?) PNPs and estimating their proportion in EE.

5.d. How many non-PNP candidates will be applying from within Canada?

5.e. How many employers are likely to offer jobs to foreign applicants prior to their immigration? How many employers can normally wait for more than 6 months to complete their recruitment cycles?

5.f. Is there any limit on number of LMIAs to be issued in a year?

5.g. How will CIC ensure that they do not get too many of people in the same NOC? Surely, they have lifted the cap on applicants with any particular NOCs but they still wouldn’t want that they get too few data scientists but too many hairdressers in the country, especially after they have already exported Bieber to the US, hence less demand of locks’ nip tuck.

Thank you for reading such long message.

Best.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
P.S. I'm 33 and my wife's 29 years old.

Also, if a reader has answer to only one or a few of the questions that I asked, please just do that. You can list the question number and then your answer. I will be thankful for anyone who educates me on this either partially or fully.

Best.

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ElmTree said:
Hello experts,

I am fairly new to exploring Canadian immigration system. I am impressed with the wealth of information regarding this available online, particularly in this forum. Unlike the US, I find Canadian system relatively less complex but there are still a few questions itching me so I decided to seek your help in answering them.

First, my circumstances:

Experience:
I have more than 10 years' experience, encompassing multiple NOCs. This includes financial manager (1 year), credit controller (1 year), senior executive (5 years), management consultant (5 years – overlapping with senior exec), corporate trainer (3 years – partly overlapping with management consultant and senior exec) and university teacher/AP (2 years). Most of my experience and postgrad education are from the UK.

Education:
Two master's degrees.

Language:
I don't have current/valid IELTS score at the moment but the last time I took this test was in '07 or '08. Back then I got 8.5 total, with minimum individual band 8.5 (in writing and listening I think). I would've only improved my language skills since then so hope to score better than that if I take the test in future.

Wife's experience:
She has 5 years' experience in senior financial/investment analyst position in the US, UK, Singapore, 1 year's top management (investment company) and 1 year pro-bono director (foreign scholarship programme) experience in Pakistan. 7 years in total.

Education:
She has O-levels, International Baccalaureate Diploma, a 4 years' bachelor's degree from the US, 6 months' non-degree coursework from Egypt (though the courses level was that of a final year bachelor's degree), and part-qualified CFA (i.e. completed Level I).

Language:
She hasn't done IELTS either but she has better language skills than native speakers so I am sure she can get perfect 9.

Now here are my questions:
[Please find answers bellow.

1. If I become the main applicant, which NOC should I specify?
In EE, NOC is irrelevant. However, somewhere in your EE profile you should specify all NOCs you have, since it can improve your chances of being selected by province or a company. For selection by federal government, only CRS score is what matters.

2. Does my wife have 1 post-secondary qualification or more?
You need to find out which of the stated above is accepted in ECA process. Sounds like lvl6 to me - 2 or more degrees, but it is only 1 point difference in calculation since she is not principal applicant.

3. With my tiny knowledge about Canadian immigration, I have a feeling provincial nomination for us is unlikely since that will be open to people who've already been in Canada to work, study or be with their families. Is that a fair assessment or do we stand any chance of PNP?
Most of the PNP requires LMIA job offer, but not all. There are people from outside Canada that have received PNP, but it is also time consuming process.

4. Is there any realistic chance for us to get a job offer from Canada? Surely, CIC is saying that employers will be encouraged to pick candidates from the pool but how likely is it that an employer would put their finger on a foreigner whom they haven't even met and then they'd wait for 6 months or so to fill their vacancies? Am I missing something?
I agree with you that this will be difficult. Additionally, the job offer needs to be LMIA job offer, so even if company is interested in you as a person, most of them has policy not to interfere in immigration, so it is dead end. LMIA job offers are more usual for FST class rather than FSW.

5. If we neither get provincial nomination nor a job offer, how likely is it that we'll be able to enter the pool with those 600 points foregone? I know it's a difficult question to answer but perhaps if someone could answer these sub-questions:
You need to wait and see. Based on your years, education and work experience, and language (you need to take IELTS again), you will have 450+ pts, and by looking at EE spreadsheet, that score is in top 15%. I think your chances of being selected in first few draws are very good.

5.a. How many places for immigration under economic classes will be there in 2015?
Based on CIC press conference, they plan to accept 80-100K immigrants in 2015.

5.b. How many draws are expected in 2015? 1 in Jan plus 2 x 11 remaining months?
On same press conference, CIC has mentioned there will be 15-25 draws.

5.c. How many PNs will be given through EE? This could perhaps be achieved by adding the number of places in each of the 12(?) PNPs and estimating their proportion in EE.
This is unknown. They will grant provinces access to all candidates, so basically provinces alone can grab ALL slots. However, in reality, it is unlikely to happen.

5.d. How many non-PNP candidates will be applying from within Canada?
This is also unknown. However, my guess is that the pool will have hundreds of thousands people within it.

5.e. How many employers are likely to offer jobs to foreign applicants prior to their immigration? How many employers can normally wait for more than 6 months to complete their recruitment cycles?
Well, there is no statistics on this. my guess - none, CIC expects same for first 3-4 months, and then the electronic system will be ready so there will be more and more job offers issued.

5.f. Is there any limit on number of LMIAs to be issued in a year?
in 2014 - 1200 LMIAs were issued. There is no limit, but it is very hard to get. Canada is full of highly educated jobless PRs and citizens.

5.g. How will CIC ensure that they do not get too many of people in the same NOC? Surely, they have lifted the cap on applicants with any particular NOCs but they still wouldn't want that they get too few data scientists but too many hairdressers in the country, especially after they have already exported Bieber to the US, hence less demand of locks' nip tuck.
In theory, they can add more rules to the draws - excluding some NOCs, or including specific ones. That will probably happen in later stages of the program.

Thank you for reading such long message.
NP, it was a pleasure to help.

Best.

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ElmTree said:
P.S. I'm 33 and my wife's 29 years old.

Also, if a reader has answer to only one or a few of the questions that I asked, please just do that. You can list the question number and then your answer. I will be thankful for anyone who educates me on this either partially or fully.

Best.
This is the link of the press conference.
https://instaud.io/4dB

For EE spreadsheet, i am sure you will be able to find, it is on multiple entries on this forum. ;)

Wish you best in NY and EE

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Hello boske83,

Thanks very much indeed for your detailed reply. It clarifies a number of things.

Following up from your answer to my Q.2: you're right, if I become the PA then my wife's education to be considered at level 6 wouldn't make much difference in points. If I consider her to have only one post-secondary credential then our expected points for EE will be 462 if I am the PA and 445 if she is the PA.

If her education is validated as 2 or more post-secondary credentials then we'll expect to have 477 if she's the PA and 463 if I am the PA.

How do I add +1 for you?

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ElmTree said:
Hello boske83,

Thanks very much indeed for your detailed reply. It clarifies a number of things.

Following up from your answer to my Q.2: you're right, if I become the PA then my wife's education to be considered at level 6 wouldn't make much difference in points. If I consider her to have only one post-secondary credential then our expected points for EE will be 462 if I am the PA and 445 if she is the PA.

If her education is validated as 2 or more post-secondary credentials then we'll expect to have 477 if she's the PA and 463 if I am the PA.

How do I add +1 for you?
You're welcome.... There is something good/bad under the name, but if you cannot see it - do not bother, I am just another EE candidate like you, so I am glad to help - not collecting points :) ...

yes, I understand - it can be important for education in case she is principal applicant... but she need to validate all of her degrees before submitting profile... In any case - 462 is good score, and I hope you will be able to receive ITA quickly...

fpaikar

Jul 15, 2013
I am the spouse of the PA ,I have evaluated my degrees for employment purpose by University of Toronto.We will be applying under CEC do i need the assessment again.

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fpaikar said:
I am the spouse of the PA ,I have evaluated my degrees for employment purpose by University of Toronto.We will be applying under CEC do i need the assessment again.
It depends when you done your ECA... ECA is valid for 5 years, so you need to count on that. This is the answer you are searching for.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#47

Regarding your spouse - she will need to do ECA anyway, except the degrees were obtain in Canadian college or university.

fpaikar

Jul 15, 2013
Hi boske83,

Thank you for your reply.I am the spouse but when I had applied for my job I had done the equivalency for my degrees from Univ of Toronto in 2014 ,as it was for the employment basis,can I use the same for the Immigration as well.

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fpaikar said:
Hi boske83,

Thank you for your reply.I am the spouse but when I had applied for my job I had done the equivalency for my degrees from Univ of Toronto in 2014 ,as it was for the employment basis,can I use the same for the Immigration as well.
My guess is - yes, you can use the same, no need for new one. Bellow is the list of accepted ECA institutions.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

Designated organizations for ECAs
You can arrange to get your assessment from:

Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
World Education Services
Medical Council of Canada (professional body for Doctors)
Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (professional body for Pharmacists)