+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend visiting from UK

ashestoart

Feb 27, 2014
Hi there.
I've been searching around for my question and haven't quite found exactly what I am looking for so I figured I'd take a shot at posting on here for the first time.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years (In June) and he came to visit from the UK in the Summer of 2013 from July 2nd to Sept 2nd and went back home. We got him back into Canada on December 11th and he was granted a full 6 months and having a return ticket for June. I'm curious as to how we can get him to stay? I know I can get him to apply to extend that by applying for an extension and I was looking into PRC or whatever it is but the website is throwing me off and confusing me.

The Application for Permanent Residence: Temporary Resident Permit Holder states "This application is for persons who are in Canada on a valid temporary resident permit and wish to apply for permanent residence. Applicants must have lived continuously in Canada as permit holders for a minimum of three to five years (depending on the reason the applicant is inadmissible to Canada under the Act) before they are eligible to apply for permanent residence."

I don't know if he is allowed to apply for permanent residency if he is able to extend for another year. I'm asking anyone out there if there's any answers on how I can get him to stay here longer as he also wants to live/move here and us get married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The temporary resident permit statement you found does not apply to your boyfriend. TRPs are special permits that you have to apply for and are difficult to get. People apply for TRPs when they are inadmissible to Canada (e.g. because of a crime) and want to enter Canada before the period of inadmissibility expires.

Canada's immigration programs are listed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

In order for you to sponsor him, you must either be married or common law (common law means you have lived together for at least one full year). If you are interested in going this route, then I'd recommend you move over to the family sponsorship section of this forum and join the discussions there.

ashestoart

Feb 27, 2014
All right. I will
1 last question, if we wanted to do sponsorship and we were common law does that mean if he's here now for 6 months that if he applied to stay longer (say another 6mnths to a year) that we would be common-law then?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ashestoart said:
All right. I will
1 last question, if we wanted to do sponsorship and we were common law does that mean if he's here now for 6 months that if he applied to stay longer (say another 6mnths to a year) that we would be common-law then?
You would be common law once you have lived together for the full year. So if he's here for six months and then you extend his stay - once he has been here an additional six months (to make it a full year) - you will be common law and can sponsor him this way.

Londoner

Feb 27, 2014
Hi ashestoart - in case this helps you I'm in a similar position, but I'm the girlfriend from the UK. I've now been here for 6 months and my understanding is that the visitor needs to extend for a further 6 months to reach 12 months at which point you can apply for common law sponsorship.

The question that you need to research (and I still am confused about the answer) is what to put as the reason for the 6 month visitor extension, some say you should be 100% honest and say you are in a relationship with a Canadian citizen but it also seems there is a risk in saying this in case they think you may be an overstay risk. Best of luck!

poppyweise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Saskatchewan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
State the reason as you are preparing to apply sponsorship through common law. In most cases, your extension will be approved. You will still have to show enough funds for stay.

Photocopy your birth certificate or passport and a signed letter saying you will sponsor him. Include that in your visa extension.

He's from the UK. Not countries like Pakistan, China and all them that cases of frauds are high. He shouldn't have too much of a problem.