+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend is on student visa can I get OWP?

faefae

Jul 29, 2015
Hi there,

so my IEC WP expired and I tried to get another one under YP category but the employer seems to be too lazy to fill out the forms so it probably will not work out. So my bf is a student from Europe and is going to school full-time for at least 2 years and now I read that I could apply for a open work permit if my common-law partner is a student?

So if we would apply as common-law partners could I get the open work permit and how do I apply for it. What do we have to show/proof to immigration so I can get it?

Thanks so much for your help. I was thinking of studying but the schools here are way too expensive and I already graduated...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
faefae said:
Hi there,

so my IEC WP expired and I tried to get another one under YP category but the employer seems to be too lazy to fill out the forms so it probably will not work out. So my bf is a student from Europe and is going to school full-time for at least 2 years and now I read that I could apply for a open work permit if my common-law partner is a student?

So if we would apply as common-law partners could I get the open work permit and how do I apply for it. What do we have to show/proof to immigration so I can get it?

Thanks so much for your help. I was thinking of studying but the schools here are way too expensive and I already graduated...
Yes - you can apply for an OWP if your common law partner is an international student in Canada.

You can only be classified as common law if you have lived together continuously for a minimum of one full year. Do you meet this requirement? The kind of proof CIC will be looking for is; joint lease agreements, joint utility bills, joint bank accounts, letter sent to the same address, employment records showing the same address. You'll need to provide evidence that covers an entire year to prove you have met the one year cohabitation requirement.

Reactions: faefae