+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - work permit expiring - IMM5802 confused, please help

dlau9227

Apr 9, 2014
Hello Everyone :D

Please help.

BC Pnp nomination received in February.
Restriction on Employment on PNP letter: No
(does this mean that I can apply for an open work permit? or is it employer specific as I am nominated under PNP with the help of my employer?)

Applied for PR: 1st March
AOR: not received yet
Post Graduate Work Permit: expiring June 1st

Trying to apply for a bridging open work permit but I'm a bit confused with the new Employer compliance and fee form for employers (IMM 5802 - for workers exempt from LMIA)
Does my employer need to fill out this form?
Can I apply for an open bridging work permit or am I employer specific?

I have called numerous times to CIC and I am getting multiple answers. Please can someone help me.

Much Appreciated, I hope everyone has a good day.

gav89singh

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
dlau9227 said:
Hello Everyone :D

Please help.

BC Pnp nomination received in February.
Restriction on Employment on PNP letter: No
(does this mean that I can apply for an open work permit? or is it employer specific as I am nominated under PNP with the help of my employer?)

Applied for PR: 1st March
AOR: not received yet
Post Graduate Work Permit: expiring June 1st

Trying to apply for a bridging open work permit but I'm a bit confused with the new Employer compliance and fee form for employers (IMM 5802 - for workers exempt from LMIA)
Does my employer need to fill out this form?
Can I apply for an open bridging work permit or am I employer specific?

I have called numerous times to CIC and I am getting multiple answers. Please can someone help me.

Much Appreciated, I hope everyone has a good day.
You can't apply for bowp until you receive AOR ... You have the option of going LMIA process or just go to border n do flagpole n then atleast you can get a closed work permit

Happy_Deep

May 7, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9,2014
AOR Received.
August 2014
Hi guys
I am applying for BOWP. MY PGWP is expiring in JUNE and I applied CEC JULY 2014. I am working with a different employer what I aplied under CEC from a year.
On doc checklist I have one question. I understand I do not need LMIA as I have AOR.

WORk PERMIT
4. Offer of Employment to a foreign National Exempt from a LMIA IMM 5802 with proof of payment by the employer (receipt number). Your employer should provide you?

What I need to do for this? Pay $230 compliance fee and get the receipt and attach with my file? ??? ???

Very confused guys

Please guide me.

Thank you

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
Happy_Deep said:
Hi guys
I am applying for BOWP. MY PGWP is expiring in JUNE and I applied CEC JULY 2014. I am working with a different employer what I aplied under CEC from a year.
On doc checklist I have one question. I understand I do not need LMIA as I have AOR.

WORk PERMIT
4. Offer of Employment to a foreign National Exempt from a LMIA IMM 5802 with proof of payment by the employer (receipt number). Your employer should provide you?

What I need to do for this? Pay $230 compliance fee and get the receipt and attach with my file? ??? ???

Very confused guys

Please guide me.

Thank you
If you have an AOR and no restrictions on your PNP nomination then you can apply for a BOWP. When applying for a BOWP your employer does not have to fill out compliance forms or pay any fees.

Here is a link with to help you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

However my one concern would be that you would not get your WP before your current one expires. I am not sure if you get implied status on a PGWP?

The other option you could have is that you ask your employer to fill out the forms and pay the fee for the closed work permit then you take all your documentation (the form he fills out and your PNP certificate as well as a Letter of Employment) to the border and see if they can issue you a closed work permit right there.

PreetiCalgary2014

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm in kinda similar dilemma. Received nomination May 05, 2015 PGWP expires June 19, 2015. Not sure if I should apply for BOWP or just Closed WP. Can I do a flagpole at the border to get either of the WP? I also read somewhere in this forum that we can get something called 'supporting letter' from AINP to get approved for BOWP ? Can anyone help on this?
Much appreciated!

Thanks

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
PreetiCalgary2014 said:
Hey guys,

I'm in kinda similar dilemma. Received nomination May 05, 2015 PGWP expires June 19, 2015. Not sure if I should apply for BOWP or just Closed WP. Can I do a flagpole at the border to get either of the WP? I also read somewhere in this forum that we can get something called 'supporting letter' from AINP to get approved for BOWP ? Can anyone help on this?
Much appreciated!

Thanks
Without AOR you can not get the BOWP. You may need the supporting letter to get the closed WP (call your PNP office to find out if you need one). To get the closed WP your employer will also have to pay a compliance fee (I think its around $220) and fill out some forms. Then if you are from a visa exempt country you can go to the border with all the documentation to get a WP. If not you can apply on line. The problem is that the processing time on line is 2 months and I am not sure if you get implied status on a PGWP (so look into that).

here is a link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/specific.asp

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Mbgirlfriend said:
You may need the supporting letter to get the closed WP (call your PNP office to find out if you need one). To get the closed WP your employer will also have to pay a compliance fee (I think its around $220) and fill out some forms. Then if you are from a visa exempt country you can go to the border with all the documentation to get a WP. If not you can apply on line. The problem is that the processing time on line is 2 months and I am not sure if you get implied status on a PGWP (so look into that).

here is a link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/specific.asp
Don't you always need the support letter ? From what I can read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/territories-provinces.asp you need 3 things: the form IMM5802, pnp nomination and province support letter.

If there are alternative options, I would love to read about them !

Thanks,
digits

SMI2015

May 11, 2015
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
Nomination.....
05-05-2015
AOR Received.
29-07-2015
This issue is getting grey, I got my nomination cert MAY 05/15 and called CIC to check if I do need a support letter from AINP in order to extend my work permit, I was told by the call center agent that I do not need the letter but if it is asked by CIC they'll provide one. The other day I was at Sweetgrass/Coutts border to do a flagpole and the immigration officer over there refused to extend my wp saying that she does need to see the letter of recommendation from province of Alberta.

Makanaka

May 21, 2015
Hi,

I have been looking at your case. Could you please suggest what my next steps could be. My PGWP expires on June 14, 2015.
I received an IP on my file April 23.

If the timeline is consistent with that of others, I should get a DM this week (I cannot really depend on that). Now, should I apply for the BOWP? What is best option to do this? It seems the online thing is so complicated. It keeps leading me to apply for Express Entry, when I am wanting to extend my WP.

PreetiCalgary2014

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
I got my AINP nomination and now applying for extension of my work permit online. My Post Graduate WP expires on June 03, 2015.
What type of WP do I apply for? Open or Closed?

FILLING FORM - IMM5710
1. INTENDED WORK IN CANADA SECTION: What to mention on Duration of Employment question. What to put on TO and FROM dates?
I started working Sept 01, 2014 and my contract expires August 31, 2015 which automatically renews for further one year.

2.Under I AM APPLYING FOR ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING- which option to choose
1 WP with Same Employer
2 Initial WP with new employer
3 Restoration of Status as a worker

3 Under DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA - What type of WP you are applying for?
Which option to choose-
1.Exemption from LMIA
2 Open WP
3 Other – Select other and mention ‘Closed Work Permit'

Can anyone please guide me? Much appreciated.

Preeti

arjun1444

Dec 12, 2012
regina
Category........
Visa Office......
sydney, nova scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
Doc's Request.
15-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-10-2013
AOR Received.
29-01-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-06-2014
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
07-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
06-10-2014
LANDED..........
HOPE REALLY SOON
yes 1 year

2 intial work permit with new employer

3 open wp

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
digits said:
Don't you always need the support letter ? From what I can read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/territories-provinces.asp you need 3 things: the form IMM5802, pnp nomination and province support letter.

If there are alternative options, I would love to read about them !

Thanks,
digits
I believe it depends on what province your PNP is from. That is why I said "may need" so they would look into it to see if they needed one from the province they have been nominated from. Apparently some provinces issue a nomination certificate that basically includes the statements that would be needed on a support letter. I have read about many posters here not needing the support letter because where they got PNP but I can't remember what province they were from.

My BF managed to get a work permit without the support letter when he flagpoled. He just had his nomination and a letter of employment from his employer. They initially asked for the support letter but ended up giving him the permit anyway . I suppose they were happy with what he had on his job letter and nomination certificate.

vikrant khanna

Star Member
Mar 26, 2015
The applicant has documented training and experience to be employable in occupations related to NOC 6421 Retail Salespersons and Sales clerks or in a related occupation. The applicant has been working in Manitoba since August 2012 and has long term offer of employment from same employer. On these bases, the applicant has demonstrated the intent and ability to establish successfully in Manitoba and contribute to economy of this province" This is my letter of approval. I have my file number and medicals. My open graduation work permit is going to expire next month. Now tell me is there anyone who applied for "Open work permit" with this kind of restriction or this kind of LOA and they have got there OBWP.

"Is there any who got BOWP with this kind of nomination letter"

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
vikrant khanna said:
The applicant has documented training and experience to be employable in occupations related to NOC 6421 Retail Salespersons and Sales clerks or in a related occupation. The applicant has been working in Manitoba since August 2012 and has long term offer of employment from same employer. On these bases, the applicant has demonstrated the intent and ability to establish successfully in Manitoba and contribute to economy of this province" This is my letter of approval. I have my file number and medicals. My open graduation work permit is going to expire next month. Now tell me is there anyone who applied for "Open work permit" with this kind of restriction or this kind of LOA and they have got there OBWP.

"Is there any who got BOWP with this kind of nomination letter"
Usually you can get a BOWP once you have the AOR number. I think unless it very clearly states that you have a restriction on your nomination then you can get an open work permit. I have heard of some people asking for a letter from the province that nominated them stating there are no job restrictions on their nomination. Call MPNP and ask them if they can issue you some kind of letter stating you don't have any job restrictions on your nomination. I think its pretty common for people to want open permits even if they don't plan on leaving their current job because some times people want to be able to take on a second part time job and they can only do that if they have an open work permit.

I_love_van

May 11, 2015
I am on the same boat!
I filed PR application under EE BCPNP on July 13, 2015, have not got AOR yet. But just got the work permit support letter from PNP office, and my PGWP is expiring in the end of October 2015.
Who can tell me if I can apply to extent Open Work Permit? Or I have to apply a LMIA-exempt work permit, which my employer need to fill IMM5802 and pay $230 compliance fee?
I really have no idea. I appreciate your help!