+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP with spouse applicant - Questionaire

HDcanada

Star Member
Nov 12, 2015
Hi All,

I have found on couple of threads in this forum that Primary applicant can apply for BOWP and on the same application can add a family member (spouse) .

I have got AOR already for my PR application 2 days back and I'm the primary applicant & my wife - spouse is accompanying applicant (she's already in Canada with valid Student Permit Status) in our PR profile. I few questions about my BOWP application with my spouse, if you can help me when you see my message. I have given below answers to my basic questionnaire. Please correct me if something wrong.

1.) Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), common-law partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent
child of a person who:
Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or
other authorized educational institution;
Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible
for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
No (Should I select "yes" because my wife-spouse is on study permit currently)

2.) Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are
approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
Yes

3.) Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?
Yes (is this correct?)

4.) Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
Yes (is this question redirected for primary applicant or for a spouse?)

5.) What does your family member want to do in Canada?
(She's actually currently on student permit so what will be the option to select for my family member -spouse?) Here are the options: Extend work permit , apply as visitor , extend study permit and extend both work & study permit

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophele

mailliWA

Feb 4, 2019
Hi HD canada,

Did you get a right answer to your query "Should I select "yes" because my wife-spouse is on study permit currently"?
Apparently, I am having the same situation. I am applying for BOWP as my current work permit is expiring soon.
I have applied PR and received AOR too. Just wondering if you got a clear answer and how your application so far?
Thanks.

HDcanada

Star Member
Nov 12, 2015
Hi HD canada,

Did you get a right answer to your query "Should I select "yes" because my wife-spouse is on study permit currently"?
Apparently, I am having the same situation. I am applying for BOWP as my current work permit is expiring soon.
I have applied PR and received AOR too. Just wondering if you got a clear answer and how your application so far?
Thanks.
Hi, Yes I got an answer and feedback from other sources and by doing my own research.
I did select "NO" on that question. Also, I noticed that this questionnaire is kind of formality, they don't decide the application approval/rejection based on this. As long as submitted documents are good then they are fine with it. And yes, my application was approved too.

sach001

May 22, 2018
Hi guys,

I am applying for BOWP and have few questions related to it.
Current situation: My wife is on PGWP and I am on SOWP. I have received the ITA and submitted my application and got AOR.

While filling the BOWP application:
1) Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), common-law partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent child of a person who:
Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational
institution;
Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first
stage approval)

Should I answer this Yes or No.
Logically I feel I should answer it is as Yes as my wife is "Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification B". But as soon as I answer as Yes, system do not as me below questions which I feel are important to highlight that this is related to BOWP.
Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent
residence in Canada? - YES
Have you submitted a permanent resident (glossary.do?id=580) application in Canada? - YES

2) Now with this BOWP application, I will become the principal applicant as I have received ITA. And I believe I can add my family members in the same application and file OWP for my wife and visitor record extension for my son.

Looking forward for your advice. In either of the case - Yes or NO at then end document checklist is same.

Also, please direct me to the thread if someone is in similar situation. I am trying to go through the posts on the forum.

Thank you.

HDcanada

Star Member
Nov 12, 2015
So just to clarify, you are primary account holder and your wife is dependent on your main PR application ?

If so then actually I had selected "NO" on a spouse question (I noticed it is just formality question which doesn't decide the application status and I have seen seen one of my friend did select "YES" and he got BOWP approved too). You need to select "YES" for a spouse question and both permanent application questions.

My situation was: I was primary account holder on my PR, my status was WP holder and my wife was on SP with private college (which she would not get PGWP). After submitting PR application, next day we applied for BOWP as main applicant was me and my wife was dependent on same BOWP application . We both got our BOWP approved after 2 months and on next month we both got our PR.

Can you tell me why you are applying for BOWP ? As you are on SP so you can't get your PGWP later ? When your wife's PGWP status expiring ? If you can tell me, I can suggest you something if I could.

mlj1992

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi All,

I have found on couple of threads in this forum that Primary applicant can apply for BOWP and on the same application can add a family member (spouse) .

I have got AOR already for my PR application 2 days back and I'm the primary applicant & my wife - spouse is accompanying applicant (she's already in Canada with valid Student Permit Status) in our PR profile. I few questions about my BOWP application with my spouse, if you can help me when you see my message. I have given below answers to my basic questionnaire. Please correct me if something wrong.

1.) Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), common-law partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent
child of a person who:
Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or
other authorized educational institution;
Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible
for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
No (Should I select "yes" because my wife-spouse is on study permit currently)

2.) Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are
approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
Yes

3.) Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?
Yes (is this correct?)

5.) What does your family member want to do in Canada?
(She's actually currently on student permit so what will be the option to select for my family member -spouse?) Here are the options: Extend work permit , apply as visitor , extend study permit and extend both work & study permit
Can you tell me where you found the questionnaire? I’m having so much trouble trying to work out how to apply for BOWP online! I just keep going around in circles and it seems to be paper only at the moment

HDcanada

Star Member
Nov 12, 2015
Can you tell me where you found the questionnaire? I’m having so much trouble trying to work out how to apply for BOWP online! I just keep going around in circles and it seems to be paper only at the moment
Sorry for delayed response. I am hoping you have got your questions answered. If not then , there is no specific terms/application for BOWP. But it is same as normal Work Permit. If you login to mycic account, you will see link to select "study/work permit extension". Just select that and put your info and you will get the questionnaire to submit and based on that, u will get forms to upload.

chrisflanagan

Apr 24, 2021
Hey HDcanada,
Did you figure what the answer was for the following -

Stuck on the same question but having a really hard time trying to find an answer for this, to me it seems No, as my partner is dependant on my application and her visa is over the same day as mine.

HDcanada

Star Member
Nov 12, 2015
Hey HDcanada,
Did you figure what the answer was for the following -

Stuck on the same question but having a really hard time trying to find an answer for this, to me it seems No, as my partner is dependent on my application and her visa is over the same day as mine.
Yes at that time after searching on different platforms and sources I have decided to put as "No" (I have just doubled check my application and can confirm that mentioned No) cos I was the primary applicant and my wife was dependent on BOWP application. As this question was attention to primary applicant where you can't accompany yourself. So my application consider as BOWP (as I studied , got work permit and got invitation on PR as primary) and my wife's application considered as dependent application.

Good luck with your application and let me know if I can be at any help to you in future.

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
hey is this applicable only if your spouse is also inland? Can we include an outland spouse to the BOWP application??

cheery27

Jan 1, 2024
Hi my spouse is on sowp right now. I have applied for PR as my wife is NOT accompanying me. I got my AOR. can I apply for BOWP along with my wife?