+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - what will HR need

Discussion in 'Canadian Experience Class' started by krilee, Nov 5, 2019.

  1. Hi,

    I have 2 questions:

    When submitting all documents and paying the fees after receiving PR invite, can I immediately apply for BOWP?

    And after applying for BOWP, will a receipt of application be enough for HR, or do I have to be approved for BOWP first to receive the implied status?

  2. you can apply for BOWP only if your WP hasn’t expired. if you are changing jobs from closed WP, then you need to wait until you get the BOWP. You are on implied status once your receive the AOR for your BOWP.
  3. Hi,

    I am not planning to change job as of now. Let's say I submitted my application for CEC, do I have to wait to receive AOR before I apply for BOWP or can I apply for BOWP as soon as I submit my CEC application?

    Just trying to understand the procedure step by step.

  4. Once you receive your AOR for your PR application, you can apply.
    krilee likes this.
  5. You have to wait until your get your AOR. Since you're applying online, you'll get your AOR in about 24-48 hours in your CIC account. The PDF will clearly state "You may use this letter to support an application for an open work permit". Good luck!
  6. Thank you so much! I read online that it can take up to 90 days, but I guess it was in association with something else.
  7. The 90 day ETA is (I think) for paper-based applications because they need to verify you included all the required documents.

    Since CEC is online, you've already uploaded required docs and the system verifies that when you submit and pay, meaning you get an AOR sooner.

    Also, although you're legal to work while waiting for a BOWP application to process, you'll probably only see it approved after your PR application has passed/recommended passed the eligibility review stage (although you won't see an update on your profile for it). It took me 3 months to get my BOWP approved, lol.

    Good luck and if you have any follow-up questions I'd be glad to help out to the best of my knowledge!
  8. I wonder that if what could it happen if PR application is approved before BOWP is approved? Does IRCC have to refund the BOWP application fee because once PR application is approved and PR card is granted, BOWP is not needed?
  9. Yup. They will cancel your BOWP application and refund the fee.

  10. I guess so. Thank you and Goodluck
  11. Thank you, that was very helpful. My YP is running out on February 3rd and I was just wondering whether it is still technically possible to continue my employment, if let's say I get drawn/invited 2 or 1 week before it expires.
  12. You can continue employment but you need to work fast. I'm going to give you some scenarios:

    1 - You're on a Post-graduate Work Permit (PGWP) for 1 year

    If you're on a PGWP, your one year of eligible work experience for CEC begins from the day you applied for the PGWP (assuming you were working on that day), not from the day you got approved. This is very important because it means you can submit a PR application a month or more before your work permit expires.

    The steps would then go as follows:
    1. Create and submit an express entry profile exactly one year from the day you applied for a PGWP. Applied, not received approval.
    2. Draws typically happen 1-2 times a month so you will be invited in the next 3-4 weeks.
    3. Be prepared. You must be ready to submit a PR application on the same day you get invited. Order the following documents:
      • Upfront medicals
      • Police certificates
      • Work experience letter
      • Supporting documentation
        Note: This forum as well as other online sources have great checklists for the core documentation you will need.
    4. 24-48 hours after submitting and paying for a PR application, you'll receive your eAOR (electronic acknowledgement of receipt). Submit a BOWP immediately after this. You can reuse many of the documents you used in your PR application.
    Note: if you're on a 2+ year PGWP, you won't have to hurry nearly as much since you'll have a little more time to get everything sorted.

    2 - You're on a different type of work permit

    The steps here are similar. Make sure you have a year of work experience and follow the steps above, except you can create your EE profile the day you hit one year of work experience.

    I hope this helps!
    krilee likes this.
  13. From what I know they won't cancel your BOWP on their own. You need to inform them ASAP once you get your PR to get it cancelled. And if they have already started processing your application, then they won't return a penny.
  14. I think that once you submit BOWP application and get a confirmation letter from IRCC, it would be told that we (IRCC) have started processing your application.

Share This Page